Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | MFJ-1777 All Band Doublet Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1777 All Band Doublet
Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$49.95
Description: 160 Thru 6 Meter All Band Doublet Antenna
With 100' of 450 ohm ladder line
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1777

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1777 All Band Doublet.

KG4NVV Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2013 10:09 Send this review to a friend
A Good Multiband Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna up for about 3 years now in an inverted vee configuration with the apex up about 35 feet. I've worked lots of DX with it on 30m through 10m from Japan, Korea, Australia, New Zealand, all over Europe, Asiatic Russia, South America, various Pacific and Atlantic islands and lots of other places, all using this antenna - well over 100 countries (but unfortunately not all confirmed yet for DXCC). I also use it on 40m nets and some on 75m, though it is not the best performer on 75m.

With a tuner, I have no problem working all ham bands from 80m through 6m with this antenna. With such capability, at about $50 it is probably the best antenna bang for the buck that I have ever owned. This antenna in the inverted vee configuration has withstood many storms and still keeps on ticking! A couple of times some rather large branches have fallen on it and broken one wire or the other, but it was easy to splice the two ends together and get it back in operation. So far the center insulator and connections have held up well.

All in all, I highly recommend this antenna or its cousin, the MFJ-1778 G5RV.

W6RAD Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2012 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Very nice for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put this antenna up a few weeks ago, after resoldering all of the solder joints and where they crimped but did not solder, just in case, something MFJ is known for in the past, ( cold joints )
To be fair to MFJ I would resolder any other antenna too.
I put up three 10' fence top rails with a bolt and nut through the slip joints of the railing, they are not a tight fit but I nave used these for years with no problems and mounted a pulley up top with a PVC stand off and attached the antenna at the center feed point with nylon rope for raising and lowering. I also cut about half of the 450 ohm ladder line to fit my installation, the 100 is not critical and can be trimmed if needed.
Now for the antenna review. I check into a 40 meter net from time to time from Coquille, Oregon with net controls in Grants Pass, OR and Reno, NV, and Shingletown, CA. They have all given me very good signal reports compared to my old home brew dipole. I get S-9 to 20 over reports from these stations and other stations that include Idaho and Utah. I am very pleased with this antenna on 80 and all other bands, Its been good from Japan to Whales. I have not set it up for 160 meters, I intend to build a 142' sloper for that. I use a Kenwood TS-2000 with a MFJ 969 tuner @ 100 watts and have no trouble tuning this antenna, my auto tuner works well too with this antenna.
Overall I like this antenna and would recommend it to anyone.

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2011 06:31 Send this review to a friend
Using it for a Loop antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a 17 meter loop to be fed by 450 ohm ladder line. I cut the ends off this doublet, giving me two pieces of wire with insulators for a possible 20 meter dipole, and used the remaining portion of the antenna with the middle insulator and ladder line for a 17 meter loop. I ran it back across the top of my house from about 30 feet up on my tower and connected the ladder line to a MFJ-912 W9INN remote balun box. Then the rest of the way to my tuner with RG8x. The 1777 is sturdy and well made, similar to the MFJ G5RV. If not for the G5RV up there in place, I would run the doublet, instead, with a tuner.

KF6E Rating: 3/5 Jun 3, 2011 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Works OK; poor quality assembly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The wires are crimped at the ends, not soldered. While the antenna was still in my hands, while putting the rope on one of the end insulators, the crimp fell apart. I took the antenna back inside and soldered the ends around the insulators. It would have been annoying if the crimp had lasted just long enough to get the antenna up.

Works OK once the assembly flaws are corrected.

M0VEY Rating: 4/5 Oct 24, 2009 07:19 Send this review to a friend
Okay for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
No longer owned, but worth it at the time for the 450 ohm feeder alone.

Now running a Windom for 80m - 10m

M0VEY Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2006 16:28 Send this review to a friend
Good,Cheap, Multi Bander  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I took advantage of the strong pound to buy one of these antennas direct from MFJ. 50 in the emporiums in GB. & $50 direct from MFJ in USA. Even with p&p & charge for money conversion this antenna was less than 40. This antenna is same size as a g5rv, but fed with 100' of 450 ohm ladder line! (how much would 30m of 450 ohm ladder line cost?) the elements are made of good quality flex-weave. My first contact was with ZL6LH & a report of 5/9 . Just using 100w from a Kenwood TS870 & the antenna up at 40' with one end at 35' & the other end at 25' I have used a Full sized g5rv before & this antenna was like having the g5rv but with an rx amp & a tx amp coupled up as well. I took my 40m dipole down as the doublet out performed it. & it beat my carolina windom cw160s on 40m, 20m & 17m bands.
On 160m I use the antenna as a Marconi T (both elements fed at the same time & worked against ground) & it works a treat. Won't be as good as a topband dipole, but for limited space (102' top) I don't think you'll get much better. This is the 1st antenna I've taken time to review (& I've had a few!) & thought I'd best share my thoughts,as for the price, this is one multi-bander that has to be a really good compromise antenna.
If anyone needs any more details, please feel free to e-mail me m0vey@aol.com Thanks, Phil.