Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Dentron DTR-1200 L Help

Reviews Summary for Dentron DTR-1200 L
Dentron DTR-1200 L Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: HF (80-10 Meter) AMplifier

You can write your own review of the Dentron DTR-1200 L.

W1MBB Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2010 10:16 Send this review to a friend
SOLID as a rock!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Amps are not built like this any more. Simple grounded grid design, pair of 572B give about 600w out. Tuned input, ALC, very functional mulimeter, compact desktop package. Only issue is heat, which can be easily solved with inceased air flow.

Solid as a rock. Makes others in this class look weak. I paid $350 which was a bargain!

N2NBT Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2010 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Solid, Quiet and Outperforms SB-200!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Wow! Very quiet and strong. Pair of 572's Puts out 650 Watts CW with 60 watts in. Tuned input makes this a joy with newer solid state rigs. Outperforms SB-200 and FL-2100 by a good margin. Overbuilt. The DTR-1200L is the real deal. Rare, but if you find one, don't think twice. Buy IT!

N5VU Rating: 4/5 Sep 7, 2008 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Okie Dokie  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, what can I say. Think Heathkit SB-201. It has two 572Bs and it will put out out 500+ watts with only 50-60 watts of drive. It has a nice enclosed cabinet. Very enclosed! The 3" muffin fan forces air inward throughout the RF section and it is suppose to circle back out to the holes adjacent to the muffin fan.?,?,... This appears to work OK however, the lid over the tubes gets really warm. I still like it though! This Dentron actually has a tuned input that gives your SS rig about a 1.4 SWR. Even with this small amount of reflected power, it still puts out a respectable signal. The meter is blue. Ep is 2000 volts idle and about 1750 under load. This is a 115 VAC situation. I know that it will be much more better when wired to 220 VAC.
The Ip scale is from 0-500 ma. Each tube pulls 250ma under load (250 + 250 = 500ma). I.e., "Full Scale" deflection. Thats still OK. Wierd, but OK.
Just like the SB-201, it has a relative power meter.
I solved the venting issue. I drilled many many holes and countersunk them. It kinda looks like a Clipperton L (I have one and I am keeping it.) Holes over the tube stack and holes on the outside (top of the tubes). The old 3" muffin sounded like a sewing machine, so I fashioned a 5" on to it. It even moves as much air as a Clipperton L now. Very very cool.
If I wasn't such an ampaholic, I would probably keep this one for a while. However, as it goes with us ampaholics, we keep moving on to stronger things.
Aw shucks, I probably should give it a 4.5 at the least. It is a very decent amp. If you get one, you will not regret it.
Even though we hams are suppose to use the minimum amount of power to carry on a contact,...and I'm fond of QRP too,...Life is much too short for QRP!.
God Bless America and those who gave us the ability to do so!

73, Marcel N5VU

KP3S Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2008 23:13 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Small Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
One week with this amp that I got shipped from Montana. Great signal & audio reports with 75W driving power puts out 550W on 80M with a pair of Taylor 572B using 110VAC. I was surprised that in the 21 mhz band position I could load the amp into 18 and 24 mhz with 500W PEP. This is going to be a keeper, well built, the fan is very quiet and the previous owner modified the top cover with a opening for the heat to get out of the finals area and a metal screen installed that make this amp run cooler during operations. Mine has a serial number of #00176, I would like to know how many of this model Dentron made before closing the company. If you find one of this amps get it you will not be sorry.

KG4IZO Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2007 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have picked this amp up in a trade and so far i am very impressed with the quality of the amp smooth tuning and 700watts out with about 60 w input..Built rock solid,I am need of a manual for this amp so if anyone can help e-mail me at htjude@hotmail.com

N2YKX Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2007 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Commercial Grade  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked up this amp for $325 and could not be any happier. Built like a brick !@#$% house.
All qualty components. The picture does not do it justice. Very compact and good looking piece of equipment. Getting full output from original Dentron 572B's. Gets 700 watts no problem, lofts at 500 where I run it. Makes my Yaesu FL-2100B look like a toy. This is a pretty rare amp if you see one pick it up you won't be sorry.

N7WR Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2006 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a DTR-1200L in great cosmetic and electrical condition but with soft finals for a very reasonable price. A pair of new, matched, Taylor 572B's brought the output back up to 1400 Watts PEP. This amp is built to last. You could drive a small truck over it. It is beautiful with rack handles and a soft lit blue multi meter which reads Vp, Ip or output. 80-10 with tuned input. Heavy duty switches and velvet smooth load and tune variable caps.

This amp beats (appearance wise, cost wise, and performance wise) SB 200's and FL 2100's. There are a few out there as I saw another one sell within a day of my purchase.

Now if I could just get my hands on the matching tuner (DTR3K) I'd be a happy camper. It too has rack handles and dual soft lit blue meters. I missed one that was for sale just before I got this amp. If anyone has the tuner and would like to sell it please let me know.