Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Tokyo Hi-power HL-700B Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hi-power HL-700B
Tokyo Hi-power HL-700B Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1300
Description: 500W mobile (13.8V) linear

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hi-power HL-700B.

G0MJK Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2014 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Superb Amplifier  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This amplifier is absolutely great and it is a crying shame that Tokyo Hy Power has closed its doors. I use mine with a Icom 756Pro3 and a very large PSU and it has so much protection that all you need do is turn it on after tuning the antenna and get consistent amplification every time. I use mine on the 100 watt input setting and 35 watts in gives me full legal limit out in the UK. If you see one buy it with confidence, a definite keeper.

M0HDX Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2013 04:01 Send this review to a friend
Bullet Proof  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used the HL-700B on a daily basis for 2 years at the 400w level and it never missed a beat.The amp has lots of protection from high swr,over drive,wrong band selection and really are bullet proof,I used mine in the shack with a 120amp psu and a cubical quad antenna.Quality product and highly recommended.

sold mine to buy a Acom 1000 but I would not hesitate to buy another HL-700B if one came up at a good price.

5+++ superb

Jim M0HDX

M0HJO Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2011 15:23 Send this review to a friend
First Class!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well this is the first time I have done a review. I was the owner of a Linear Amp UK 811H valve amp, worked ok for a while then had a few problems. I had it serviced but it was still not right, so sold it to the dealer who serviced it.
I was on the look out for a solid state amp, looked at loads, read one review after another. Then this amp came up used from a SK sale, I paid £650 for it, best money I have ever spent in Ham Radio! I use it with my IC-7600, made up the patch lead from radio to amp and away you go! Switch it on, your on the bands, simple!.
I even had a antenna problem with water in and around the feedpoint, amp shut down, no damage.
I would not swap or sell it!!
Well done Tokyo Hi-power!

G8UBJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2009 07:42 Send this review to a friend
Very Professional  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I already have a Tokyo Hy-Power THP-200BDX which has given me three years of good service but decided to upgrade the station while I had the money.

I had my eye on the Tokyo Hy-Power THP-700B for a while and at £800 seemed like the best bang for buck out there. Tokyo Hy-Power advertise this amplifier for mobile operation but I think its more suited to Base station use. The 700B can be run in two configurations giving either 400 watts out for 10watts in or 600watts for 100watts in. The amp contains four parallel amplifiers each containing 2 THP120 devices.

In the 400 watt configuration (10 watts drive) one of the amps is a pre-driver with three delivering the required output. For increased resilience I decided to drive mine in the 600watt configuration but only to 400 watts (legal limit in the UK) which gives me plenty of overhead for safety. I get 400 out for about 40 watts in so about 10db gain.

The amp requires about 72 amps at 13.8v for full output so most supplies arenít man enough for this job. Luckily I run the shack off a single supply 13.8V supply capable of 120amps, the PSU was made by Manson and is a prerequisite if you intend to run lots of power at this voltage. I found the cable THP provided with the amp was getting warm on transmit so I shortened it and doubled it up to ensure there was very little voltage drop.

The fans are a bit noisy so I modified them to run at eight volts on RX (I published the mod on the Tokyo reflector).. This amp is beautifully constructed. I love the way the main boad hinges upward to allow access to the lower deck. Lots of testing has shown that the output is very clean. I run mainly RTTY which is a real test for some amplifiers. This one will run 400 carrier without breaking sweat. It can manage 600 watts + on SSB so for UK its ideal.

P.S. Price in the UK just went from £800 to £1200 so I just bought it in time!

PA3GWH Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2006 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Work of art  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using this amp mobile for about 6 months now and I must admit I really like it. It is very well built, reasonably small in size, runs cool and delivers the power ++ as advertised. Connecting the HL700B to my Yaesu 857 was pretty simple (if you use the acc and not the packet out DUH :-) )

Built in protection circuitry works very well, sometimes a bit too well perhaps, so make sure your antenna has a good SWR or you will find yourself (like me) running to the back of the car to reset the amp during your QSO!

The amp does need a big PSU, it absorbes an enormous 70 AMPs at full power! This made me decide to put an extra battery in the trunk of the car, 50 mm2 cabling from main battery to secondary battery, 150 AMP breakers and 25 mm2 cables to the amp will do the trick HI

All that connected to a HiQ 5/80 center loaded (mobile) vertical will give you full coverage 10-80 with 500 Watts out and will break the pile-up easily. Be prepared to spent some time in the car though ;-)

M0ZAT Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2006 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Superb!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a very high quality amplifier.

Internal construction standards are superb. I am an electrical engineer, formerly an electrician, but have rarely seen work as neat and well thought out as this.

Case design is neat and straightforward. Just one minor complaint: - eight pin DIN sockets for the remote and ALC inputs, seem like a strange choice of connector seeing as though only two or three pins are actually needed?

This thing resides permanently in the rear of my 4x4. Initial power supply issues have been sorted out (see my section in the discussion forum); I now have two 10mm. conductors leading directly to the car battery which wasnít the easiest of solutions but works.

TXCVR is an FT-897 running 80% output and 20% compression on the mic, which runs up to the full legal output into my Hustler 20S.
This hits the alternator where it hurts, (about 80 amps), so everything else in the car has to be switched off or things start getting tight on the power supply budget.

Audio reports are always excellent; the combination produces crystal clear audio with no unwanted noises at all.

This amp will run flat out continuously without even getting warm. The internal fan is quiet in operation and if it wasnít for the relay click, you would forget it was even there.

I will be keeping this amp, 5/9 reports from Southern Australia are a common occurrence and pretty good for what is essentially a mobile station.

Well done Tokyo, this amp is a masterpiece. Any chance of a full Kilowatt version???