Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Hustler CGT-144 Collinear Trunk Lip Mount Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler CGT-144 Collinear Trunk Lip Mount Antenna
Hustler CGT-144 Collinear Trunk Lip Mount Antenna Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $51.95
Description: Price listed is the current HRO price (3-12-03
More info: http://www.new-tronics.com/main/index.html

You can write your own review of the Hustler CGT-144 Collinear Trunk Lip Mount Antenna.

N4DBM Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2010 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Works on 10 Meters also.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Should have put this in my previous review. I saw where someone else wrote this about the antenna working on 10 meters, and it does. Since it is not a DC grounded antenna, the slight inductance in the phasing coil acts as some loading on 10 meters and the feed point impedance looks like a 50 ohm quarter wave. Every vehicle installation varies, but with my CT-144 mounted thru-hole on a toolbox, on 2 meters cut for 146.000 MHz even, the 10 meter match is right at 28.300 MHz and has well below 1.5:1 SWR from 28.100 to 28.700. I have made many contacts on this antenna on 10 meters. Buy an HF/VHF diplexer from Comet or Diamond, and no need for an antenna switch! Similarly, buy the G3-144 base antenna and have a 2M/10M dual band base. It's the same antenna.

73, N4DBM.

N4DBM Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2010 04:18 Send this review to a friend
The best.. PERIOD.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Starting out knowing it may be a litte lengthy..

Hustler antennas are my favorite. I like dealing with the company and their products are proven over decades and made in the U.S. They are a good old school company and I really believe their sincerity and motivation to produce good products comes from the desire to make us "hams" happy.

I got the CG-144, which is the antenna ONLY (no mount) from Universal Radio for $31.95. You can hardly buy a Larsen 1/4 wave for that! $31.95 is a fantastic deal, first of all, for the antenna.

The CG-144 is a 5/8 wave over a 1/4 wave. It is the exact same antenna as the G3-144 base station, only a little thinner. It accepts 3/8 x 24 TPI threads, and mounts are relatively cheap and can be bought for $10 - $15 at CB stores.

The performace is EXCELLENT. Of course with the physical size, it should be. It's just over 7 feet tall. The VSWR is flat up and down the band. Gain over a 5/8 wave is very noticable, gain over a 1/4 wave is nearly the difference between uncopyable and full quieting.

The quality and appearance is great, too. Overall as you can imagine, I am very, very satisfied with this antenna.

I looked for a high gain 2M mobile for a while, and when comparing prices and quality, I looked at some of the Comet and Diamond manufacturers.. Over $90 for a comparable sized/gain antenna from those guys! I'll stick with the Hustler product line, a good American company with fair prices Thanks again Hustler for the fine antennas.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2010 15:16 Send this review to a friend
damn good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Probably the best monoband mobile antenna out there. I can hear things when others sitting right beside me cant. as far as a trunk lip mount..I would have to pass, just to much antenna for that kind of mount in my opinion. I use a nice heavy ball mount.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2010 06:01 Send this review to a friend
excellent antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had & used the CGT-144 (with the radial grounds) on a mast (about 15-ft high) for over 15+years, and it surely rates more than a 5...
This setup has always given me EXCELLENT results
in all types of weather (we have in NE OH), and it's NOT been weather-proofed at all...I use 15-watts and a base-radio on 2-meter FM

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2010 17:20 Send this review to a friend
Proven over decades  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off, this one is not on a vehicle, it is on a mast at home. My Comet dual bander needed new coax. I did not need the dual band function and wanted less of a comprimise on 2M. I got a NOS in-package Hustler for like 18 bucks on ebay. Another payout for the mast mount radial kit from R&L, they had it discounted. So I saved alot of money on it. Tuned it up on a short mast. This requires cutting of the heavy thick stainless lower section. Hard to cut, be prepared. Very hard to cut with a hacksaw. Had it almost perfect match on the mockup. Weatherproofed it and put on the same mast the Comet was on. Well when I got it up the SWR is now just under 1.5 but the curve seems the same so it must be random factors. It seems to be outperforming the Comet though. Not by huge margins but visible improvements and a better report on simplex from a regular station. If you have one lying around unused, get the radial kit and have a viable gain home station that is a bit less visible than the fibreglass antennas and lightweight to boot. I have used them and seen them for decades so they got a rep that you cannot deny. Just watch out for a tight center pin on the coax conn. on the radial kit. Might need some working in to get it connected. Mine fits like really tight which must be good. Take the time to weatherproof it real good.

AC4M Rating: 4/5 Jul 8, 2009 06:22 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna for the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Good performing antenna, only weak points about the antenna it is a very tall antenna you might hit a few tree limbs, the mount could be a little bit better and if you are way out there from a repeater the antenna needs to be straight up and down but, over all a great mono bander type of antenna.

W8EFM Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2008 19:46 Send this review to a friend
It's like having a base antenna on your car  Time owned: more than 12 months
And at 7 feet tall it looks like one too! I love this antenna. I bought the model without the trunk lip mount. I used to haul bikes on the roof of my Explorer so I put this antenna on the rear step bumper with a quick-release mount. Probably the worst possible scenario, but no worries it turns out. On the first road test in rush hour traffic I was full quieting into a repeater 45 miles away on 5 watts. I'm on my second Explorer now with this same antenna and it still puts a smile on my face. Only problem is fitting it into the car when I remove it. This is one loooong antenna.

AI4WM Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2008 16:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna with a poor mount  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this antenna for mobile use to use with a low power rig. The ratings on the antenna seem true, good gain and low swr. However Hustler never made a nice trunk mount and still does not make a good trunk mount. The length and wind loading of this antenna will cause damage to paint. I used this antenna about a month and checked for paint scratching and found the cheap plastic gouges paint so off it came. I mounted the antenna on a Diamond trunk mount. The performance is great. I could hit repeaters almost as good with this antenna on a rig with a 10W output as good as my other rig with a 25W output on a roof mounted antenna.
This antenna has since been replaced by a Motorola and a better rig. I now use this antenna with the radial kit for emcomm and it works great, as good as my base antenna. If you use this antenna mobile and want a trunk lip mount I recommend using a Comet or Diamond trunk mount and not even purchasing the Hustler mount. If this antenna came with a good mount it would rate a 5.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2007 16:37 Send this review to a friend
best ever!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this antenna, with the radial kit (MKR-2; see KG0WX comment), for the past 13-years...have not been disappointed at all...the published gain IS TRUE...have mounted about 15-feet above the ground...the receive is fabulous

KC0QME Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2007 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Best Collinear Ever!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I bought 2 of these after being disappointed with the Lakeview collinear and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!! What an antenna. SWR is 1.2:1 and the receive on this baby is awesome and the transmit is the same. A and B comparison between the Lakeview and the Hustler yields 1-2 s units in receive and transmit on the Hustler so lakeview can go jump in there own lake LOL. If you had a choice between the Lakeview and the Hustler go for the Hustler, you wont regret it. 73's.....................