Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | Tokyo Hy-Power HL-35V Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HL-35V
Tokyo Hy-Power HL-35V Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2m FM amplifier, 0.5-5W in, 16-36W out
More info: http://www.thp.co.jp

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HL-35V.

KB3TUO Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2010 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Great little amplifier  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this amplifier on ebay for around $45 shipped and it has served me very well! I use it almost daily with a Yaesu Vx-3r HT. The amplifier has been connected to different antennas that I built myself including a copper pipe j-pole and a tape measure yagi. I have never had any problems with this unit. The heat sink on top will get warm, but not hot. I built the Saint Louis Switcher out of May 2002 QST and used that to power it because it only requires about 4 amps. My amplifier didn't have a fuse (inside nor outside) when I bought it, so I soldered some pigtails with a fuse holder to the existing leads. The amplifier requires me to use high power on my HT because if you try to run it on low power (300 milliwatts) it will produce a strange chattering sound when you key down. I would recommend that if you see one of these, buy it right away before someone else does!

One more thing, from what I understand, there are two versions of this amplifier, one with an FM/SSB switch inside, and one without a switch (so...FM only?...auto-switching?). I have the latter model.

KE7JFA Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2007 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my HL-35V used for 38 USD from an auction site.
I mounted a fan on top of amp and using it to boost the output of my IRLP node to prevent overheating of my 169.00 radio. (I figured it would be cheaper to replace the amp instead of radio)
At a solid 5 watt input, I am getting 37 watts out.
I am connected to a very active reflector with no timeout and been running 2 weeks now.
The fan is a must for this type of application and the amp gets warm, but never hot.
I have had people using my node 25 miles away and get good reports.
I would buy another in a heartbeat.
Rock steady performer!

KC2PNF Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2007 21:09 Send this review to a friend
A nice little box for your HT in the mobile.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked mine up at a local hamfest for $30 to help out my HT in the truck and had great results every time. Anytime I started getting out of range I'd flip it on and the response was always the same from the other end, "There, that's better." The receive amp isn't anything to write home about, but it did help a little. I would never have parted with it, until somebody stole my HT and I moved up to a regular mobile radio.