Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Realistic DX-100-GEN. COV Help

Reviews Summary for Realistic DX-100-GEN. COV
Realistic DX-100-GEN. COV Reviews: 10 Average rating: 2.6/5 MSRP: $Not Known
Description: Basic cvg A>M> bc-30meg/bfo/anl
More info: http://Radio Shack/Realistic?

You can write your own review of the Realistic DX-100-GEN. COV.

VK2JEM Rating: 0/5 Jul 25, 2017 18:25 Send this review to a friend
Better to look at than listen to.  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first Shortwave radio when i was a teenager in the 1980s. Looking back on it it was god awful, but combination of good sunspot numbers, lots of signals, good listening location and my own lack of knowledge meant i loved it and worked a lot of DX that to this day im amazed at!

I cant really comment on sensitivity as i had nothing to compare it with, but i stuck a liong anternna on it and heard lots on it (yes it overloaded but I didnt know what that was), so it was fairly sensitive.

However one WIIIIIIDEEE bandwidth, no stability and terrible tuning mechanism with lots of backlash meant finding stations a shot-in-the-dark affair. Good luck.

The tuning dial has random markings sometimes 2 or more MHZ(!) apart and can be out by as much as 1 MHZ or more anyway, so you never really know what frequency youre on unless you know what youre listening to and they say it. The tuning is as touchy as all hell, you need safe cracker fingers.

There are no interference or tuning aids. Turn the tuning knob, if you hear something tweak the fine tune. Ok if its SSB you can turn on and adjust BFO, it works if youre careful . Now turn the volume up or down.

Thats it, now listen and hope you can workout who and where it is. Hey thats kind of fun!

And to this day I think its a nice looking little radio. So if i saw one for say $10 i would be tempted, just to have it on the radio shelf and pull it out once every now and then for nostalgia.

But seriously I would NOT recommend this to anyone as a first, starter, or only radio. God awful to use.

W4KVW Rating: 2/5 Jun 30, 2017 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Not Impressed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I don't see anything worth raving about.Poor receiver on a good day.Wall or shelf art is a great place for it.I usually like Realistic/Radio Shack radios but this one failed my testing.

KE5LZL Rating: 3/5 Jun 30, 2017 10:35 Send this review to a friend
Nice Vintage 80's look  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this on Ebay $62.00 and gone through different models especially the one with the 2 cylinders that turn. They are very basic like that of a transistor radio, but fair and fun. I am testing the sensitivity for ham bands and will post it later on. One thing is that I have the Dipole hooked up and received some regular stations on AM and SW

N2DTS Rating: 3/5 Jan 18, 2012 13:27 Send this review to a friend
got me into ham radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Its really nasty I suppose, but I always thought it looked great, and it was cheap, two hard to resist things, so I bought one new when they were out. Heard my first good ham AM qso's on it, tuned in a little cw (hard to do) and I got my general licence a few months later.
When I got my licence, I went over to Heathkit in Philadelphia and got an hw7, had a blast with that rig, went back over and got an hw101, more fun, then started picking up boat anchors at fests. The poor dx100 got sold at some point, how ungrateful I was back then!
I hope some youngster is using it someplace....

VK4RU Rating: 3/5 May 16, 2011 17:57 Send this review to a friend
another radio in my collection to annoy my wife..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bought this one with a little money my folks gave me for my birthday. $39 at a junk shop at Coorparoo. the bloke who ran the shop wanted $65 for the old JVC ghetto blaster parked next to it.
it is worth the money. seems to be a bit deaf at the bottom of the broadcast band. the band switch is a bit crackly. Havent had the cover off it yet to give the switches a squirt. Connecting an antenna to the terminal seems not to make any difference. Still to find some time to have a good play with it. Seriously needs a calibration and tuneup.

KB8ASO Rating: 0/5 Oct 24, 2010 20:29 Send this review to a friend
Yuck!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one for a few years and it was just awful. Poor audio, lots of tuning backlash, insensitive and just not worth the sum of it's parts. I gave mine away and felt sorry for the guy that got it. It looks much better than it performs. If you have ever used the $29.95 Grundig Mini World 100 PE shortwave receiver you will have a good idea how poor thing is, and RS sold it originally for $99.95!

ERIEDXER Rating: 4/5 Oct 28, 2009 13:23 Send this review to a friend
A great start for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
A new DX100 showed up under the Christmas tree for me in 1983 when I was 14. It started a continuing hobby for me that has lasted in to my 40's now. I was so fascinated by this, it was my best Christmas gift ever as a kid. I set up a long wire out of my bedroom window, and within a week or so after hooking it up was receiving QSL cards from around the world. I never really got bored with it.

Of course as I grew older much better equipment has come and gone, and my wants and needs have me in front of much better receivers. I rated this a 4 because it was good for its price and what it was, a great start. As a "real" SW or DX rig it's actually horrible, but I still like to believe that there are kids out there you could buy one of these for as a gift for under $30, and they might step away from their Playstations for 30 seconds or so just to see what it does :)

WF7I Rating: 4/5 Dec 7, 2007 10:06 Send this review to a friend
My first SWL radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this one in the 80's and it was my first entry into any type of radio. It suffers from images (single conversion super-het design) and the BFO was a little jumpy. The fine-tuning was also very bouncy (tuner-cleaner helps, but only for a short time). Still, it was a load of fun to operate and reasonably sensitive for most SWL broadcasts and ham signal reception. I especially liked the horizontal rolling-cyllinder type of frequency display. I did lose an RF amplifier transistor in it, after the first 10 years of heavy use, but was a quick and easy soldering job to replace. I'd recommend it as a cheap way to introduce someone to radio or as a quick and dirty signal monitor for the shack.

KF4WDZ Rating: 3/5 Apr 13, 2007 22:39 Send this review to a friend
Not the best , but lots of fun.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first rig, so it,s one of my favorites.

It's not a DX rig, or even a "real" communications receiver, but it's fun to play with just the same.

Looking for a basic receiver to tune up and down the dial with? You could do a lot worse then this little tabletop rig. It's your basic of basics. Just a volume knob, band switch AM/BFO/STANDBY/ANL(that doesn't do much) switch, tune, and fine tune knobs. One thing it does have that I wish more radios did is a real sweep type S meter. The dial is marked rather broadly and it's not all that accurate, but it gets the job done.

I've had so much fun with this little rig over the years. From time to time I'll set aside the better and/ or modern radios and just sit and tune up and down the dial. Sometimes it's nice to go back to the basics.

Performance on SW is a bit better than most of the old multiband portables by a bit. It drifts and the BFO can be a bit tricky, but it does work. MW works better then most "normal' radios do to a nice long coil-form.

KL7HFA Rating: 4/5 Feb 25, 2006 03:43 Send this review to a friend
Good rig for fist time swl or to monitor gen prop condx when no  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just aquired for a reasonable price-havant had a whole lot of time yet to check it out but so far it has exeeded my expectations for a "bedtable rig to monitor genaral condx from Alaska!It does have afine tuning control(joke) but main dial is tite-maybe I got a good one! You must tune slowly or you'll miss things. this is not a rig to mon ssb on-even with the bfo.Sigs must be stronger for amount ot of bandpass.Local broadcasts are in the 50,000w range in day and no serious intermod-this is good.Ithink the ferrite ant. is doing ok on some stateside sigs and don't know if outside ant would help on that w/o mods.I dont have a diag. yet but I think an so239 is in order rather than the screw terrms- rig it so you have both-G5rv or a small tuner to act as balun. The usual things to watch for-as with any used rig is dirty switches and pots.This one was mint looking anseems to do fine with a15 foot wire out the window on 2nd floor.I like being able to turn knobs rather than dig. entry- thi is far better than the DAK-dmr3000 Pros-manual tuning Raesonable sensitivity-small size 11 x 8 x 4 simple to use. Cons- no so239-prone to t.v. birdies but my Icoms are too! Fast tuning rate but what do you exprct from an inexp. bare bones rig! Igive it a 4/5 for the intention-analog-basic swl--73 mike kl7hfa