Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | MFJ 1899T Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1899T
MFJ 1899T Reviews: 26 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: Yaesu FT-817 Multi-band Telescopic Antenna 6M/10M/12M/15M/17M/20M/30M/40M/80M

Covers 80 Meters through 6 Meters.

This special antenna was designed specifically for the extremely popular Yaesu FT-817 Multimode HF/VHF/UHF Portable Transceiver. This antenna covers all bands (including WARC bands) from 80 Meters to 6 Meters. Power rating is 25 Watts. When fully telescoped it is 1.65M long approximately and is fitted with a BNC connector. This makes it ideal for the new FT-817 or other QRP portable radio. Band changing is achieved by plugging the "wander lead" into the appropriate socket on the base coil, and fine tuning adjustments are made using the 10 section telescopic whip. The whip unscrews from the base matching coil, so collapsed, the antenna measures only 32 cm.

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1899T.

KU3X Rating: 4/5 Sep 8, 2016 08:07 Send this review to a friend
So far so good, minor issue  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After watching a YouTube video on this product I decided to get one. But before I put it into full service I figured Id make a few basic tests.
I made a mount for the antenna and clamped it to my wooden picnic table. I tested each band and used one MFJ suggested length radial per band. I tested one band at a time and had only one radial attached at a time. I used the Rig Expert AA-600 to take readings. I also added a current balun at the feed point.

I got the SWR down to 1.3 to 1 on 15, 20 and 40 meters. It was a tad higher on 10 meters but still very usable on 10. I am still trying to get a match on 17 meters with no success so far. I am not saying it wont work on 17, I just did not find the right combination just yet.
The main reason I posted this review is to point out that tap #2 is incorrect for 20 meters. Way too much base loading inductance. It should be tap #3.
So far, here are my findings for the bands I tested:
7040 Tap #2, whip 45 and radial 25"6"
14144 Tap #3, whip 43" and radial 12"10'
21100 Tap #4, whip 48" and radial 8'6"
28100 Tap #5, whip 39" and radial 6'6"

I dont expect to work the world with this antenna, but I do plan on having many hour of fun with it and my KX2.

Barry, KU3X
KK6NLZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2015 12:03 Send this review to a friend
BEST Antenna I have tried for my 817nd!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I knew what I was expecting but got soooo much more!
I have a 20x20 area outside my bedroom that is surrounded on all sides by house and a concrete block wall.
I sat on the ground with antenna in hand, ran my counterpoise wire off the ground lug all the way out... Someone told me not to put a counterpoise on the ground so I strung it on the lowest braches of trees so it was about 3 feet off the ground. Called CQ @5 watts and immediately made a contact 500 miles away! He sent me an email saying the noise was up and I was over it with 5 watts! HE was very impressed and will buy one too. VERY VERY PLEASED!!! it did better than my great lakes antenna actually. But you know how antennas are.. very picky.. this one works awesome.

The counterpoise is the trick! And for the ones who didn't have luck.. give it time. Conditions change all the time and when they are down, I don't care if you have a 500' antenna. it still sucks. Well actually. I'd love a 500' antenna.

I have a 392m great lakes, hamsticks, and a really nice Inverted V dipole. This beat them all!!!!!
N3DCP Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2015 06:35 Send this review to a friend
Works Good For What it is  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna for my 817 for portable and indoor use as I can't get a outdoor antenna up. For what it is the antenna works great. I have it paired up with my Z817 tuner and 1 counterpoise wire and it loads up with a perfect match. I mainly work JT65 with it and have made plenty of contacts. So if you know the limits of what this antenna is it will work great. So don't expect to make long distance DX contacts with it specially with 5 watts SSB even tho it is possible on a good day.
N6QIH Rating: 4/5 Oct 17, 2014 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Easy to set up on BNC Mount  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have this antenna MFJ 1899T and had a chance to use on a mountaintop trip to Topaz Mountains in Utah.
I was going to set up my buddipole antenna but had this antenna and decided to put it on my Jeep in the roll up window on a Bnc Mount I had purchased on Ebay. I put antenna up and put in the wire to the correct hole and pulled out the whip for 10mtrs. The mount has a 8ft of coax with BNC so I used an adapter to connect to my FT 817 rear So239 and I was on the air.
My first QRP transmission was to a station calling CQ CQ on 28.425 USB. He ansewered my first QRP call and said that he only talks to stations with 1KW power and that a QRP station would not have a 5/9 siginal. WOW what a great report from a station that only wants to talk to 1KW stations. TEST COMPLETE Thanks for that report 73.
That station was.....
Todd Burnette
6415 Ivy Springs Drive
Flowery Branch, GA 30542
KB2CWN Rating: 0/5 Feb 22, 2014 19:20 Send this review to a friend
update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just an update. Tonight I set up the 1899T with the mag mount on my vehicle. 40 meters was hot, with signals coming in so strong I had to put the HB-1B attenuation switch on. I tried for over an hour to make one contact, nothing. Every everything was perfect, flat SWR, good height, perfect weather. The antenna is just a plain dud. I was for sure I would make a few contacts, but nothing. I have decided to order a new Buddistick, and don't know what to do with this antenna. Maybe use it for shortwave listening since it receives great. But for transmitting, forget it. Working QRP can sometimes be frustrating alone, with having to deal with a looser antenna.
KB1VAV Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2014 14:11 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got the MFJ 1899t in a trade along with a Yaesu 817nd and a LDG Z817 tuner. My first try was in a attic chamber room under a metal roof at my in-laws in VT. Fat chance I thought until I worked numerous countries on QRP cw 20m. Then I tried a buddy back in Maine on 40m SSB who is a no code extra forcing me to go to ssb (hihi). Again FB. Now babysitting grand kids in the Boston area same setup, with little kids on my lap, more DX. I have a 10ft counterpoise and use the onboard swr meter on the 817 and the mighty Z817 with a rt angle pl159 to BNC for connection. Would not recommend this unit for bouncing around over the shoulder use as it seems too fragile. I own a ATAS 120, and a little wonder and numerous others and this little inexpensive gem has worked great for me. A windom it is not, but a light and easy way to travel (have not tried it with out a tuner) it works great for a way for "grampy to beep beep" when on traveling.
KJ4NWZ Rating: 0/5 Jun 19, 2013 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Crap. Period.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I literally threw away my money when I bought this "dummy" load a few years ago. I have only one word for this product: rubbish.
K6MA Rating: 0/5 Jan 21, 2013 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna for my FT-817 for SOTA activities. Made all my counterpoises as required. Went to a summit to start making contacts, after setting up per instructions. Occasionally I could hear someone but no one could hear me. Back at the shack I used my MFJ-269 antenna analyzer and discovered that the instructions were wrong for the tap points. After trying several combinations of whip length and various taps and counterpoise. I managed to get the SWR down below 2 for a couple of the bands but nothing else. After reading some of the other reviews it appears that many people have found the instructions to be incorrect- why has this not been fixed? Very disappointing product. Definitely do not recommend this at all.
KT4EP Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2012 20:02 Send this review to a friend
Figured it out  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Using my FT-817, I put this antenna on the front bnc jack and followed the antenna instructions. I used a "random" length of wire for the counterpoise, hooking it to the ground on the back of the radio. The counterpoise was set for 13 to 15 feet and draped over a wooden fence, up and off the ground. Manipulating the whip, I listened for signals to get louder and knew I was close to the right setting then I fine tuned the whip for SWR looking at the radio meter while transmitting in AM mode. It turned out to be pretty easy to tune up. I listened to some chatter on 17, 20, and 40 meters, called CQ a few times with no answer. I figure I'll have better luck with psk31 or Olivia. Testing testing testing...
KT4EP Rating: 3/5 Jan 7, 2012 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Testing begings  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'll probably up the rating after I use it more. Definitely need an analyzer to check and set it up because in my case, the instructions (which are scant) are incorrect. I'm using different taps and counterpoise lengths for each band than indicated. Also tried using my 817 in AM mode and it's swr meter and finding the instructions for tap and counterpoise are off, just as indicated by my mfj 259 analyzer. I bought this antenna for hotel and camping use and think it will work out once I figure the general whip and counterpoise settings. After all it isn't meant to be your main antenna. I built the homebrew buddistick and want to use the 1899 instead on trips. I don't like trying to put it on the back of the 817 so I made a "quad- pod" out of half inch pvc pipe and a pl259 connector will just run thru the pipe and it helps support the antenna. Then I run a counterpoise from the radio. Still testing. Testing,,,,