Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | MFJ 1899T Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1899T
MFJ 1899T Reviews: 23 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: Yaesu FT-817 Multi-band Telescopic Antenna 6M/10M/12M/15M/17M/20M/30M/40M/80M

Covers 80 Meters through 6 Meters.

This special antenna was designed specifically for the extremely popular Yaesu FT-817 Multimode HF/VHF/UHF Portable Transceiver. This antenna covers all bands (including WARC bands) from 80 Meters to 6 Meters. Power rating is 25 Watts. When fully telescoped it is 1.65M long approximately and is fitted with a BNC connector. This makes it ideal for the new FT-817 or other QRP portable radio. Band changing is achieved by plugging the "wander lead" into the appropriate socket on the base coil, and fine tuning adjustments are made using the 10 section telescopic whip. The whip unscrews from the base matching coil, so collapsed, the antenna measures only 32 cm.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1899T

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1899T.

N6QIH Rating: 4/5 Oct 17, 2014 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Easy to set up on BNC Mount  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have this antenna MFJ 1899T and had a chance to use on a mountaintop trip to Topaz Mountains in Utah.
I was going to set up my buddipole antenna but had this antenna and decided to put it on my Jeep in the roll up window on a Bnc Mount I had purchased on Ebay. I put antenna up and put in the wire to the correct hole and pulled out the whip for 10mtrs. The mount has a 8ft of coax with BNC so I used an adapter to connect to my FT 817 rear So239 and I was on the air.
My first QRP transmission was to a station calling CQ CQ on 28.425 USB. He ansewered my first QRP call and said that he only talks to stations with 1KW power and that a QRP station would not have a 5/9 siginal. WOW what a great report from a station that only wants to talk to 1KW stations. TEST COMPLETE Thanks for that report 73.
That station was.....
Flowery Branch, GA 30542
USA

KB2CWN Rating: 0/5 Feb 22, 2014 19:20 Send this review to a friend
update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just an update. Tonight I set up the 1899T with the mag mount on my vehicle. 40 meters was hot, with signals coming in so strong I had to put the HB-1B attenuation switch on. I tried for over an hour to make one contact, nothing. Every everything was perfect, flat SWR, good height, perfect weather. The antenna is just a plain dud. I was for sure I would make a few contacts, but nothing. I have decided to order a new Buddistick, and don't know what to do with this antenna. Maybe use it for shortwave listening since it receives great. But for transmitting, forget it. Working QRP can sometimes be frustrating alone, with having to deal with a looser antenna.

KB1VAV Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2014 14:11 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got the MFJ 1899t in a trade along with a Yaesu 817nd and a LDG Z817 tuner. My first try was in a attic chamber room under a metal roof at my in-laws in VT. Fat chance I thought until I worked numerous countries on QRP cw 20m. Then I tried a buddy back in Maine on 40m SSB who is a no code extra forcing me to go to ssb (hihi). Again FB. Now babysitting grand kids in the Boston area same setup, with little kids on my lap, more DX. I have a 10ft counterpoise and use the onboard swr meter on the 817 and the mighty Z817 with a rt angle pl159 to BNC for connection. Would not recommend this unit for bouncing around over the shoulder use as it seems too fragile. I own a ATAS 120, and a little wonder and numerous others and this little inexpensive gem has worked great for me. A windom it is not, but a light and easy way to travel (have not tried it with out a tuner) it works great for a way for "grampy to beep beep" when on traveling.

KJ4NWZ Rating: 0/5 Jun 19, 2013 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Crap. Period.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I literally threw away my money when I bought this "dummy" load a few years ago. I have only one word for this product: rubbish.

K6MA Rating: 0/5 Jan 21, 2013 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna for my FT-817 for SOTA activities. Made all my counterpoises as required. Went to a summit to start making contacts, after setting up per instructions. Occasionally I could hear someone but no one could hear me. Back at the shack I used my MFJ-269 antenna analyzer and discovered that the instructions were wrong for the tap points. After trying several combinations of whip length and various taps and counterpoise. I managed to get the SWR down below 2 for a couple of the bands but nothing else. After reading some of the other reviews it appears that many people have found the instructions to be incorrect- why has this not been fixed? Very disappointing product. Definitely do not recommend this at all.

KT4EP Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2012 20:02 Send this review to a friend
Figured it out  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Using my FT-817, I put this antenna on the front bnc jack and followed the antenna instructions. I used a "random" length of wire for the counterpoise, hooking it to the ground on the back of the radio. The counterpoise was set for 13 to 15 feet and draped over a wooden fence, up and off the ground. Manipulating the whip, I listened for signals to get louder and knew I was close to the right setting then I fine tuned the whip for SWR looking at the radio meter while transmitting in AM mode. It turned out to be pretty easy to tune up. I listened to some chatter on 17, 20, and 40 meters, called CQ a few times with no answer. I figure I'll have better luck with psk31 or Olivia. Testing testing testing...

KT4EP Rating: 3/5 Jan 7, 2012 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Testing begings  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'll probably up the rating after I use it more. Definitely need an analyzer to check and set it up because in my case, the instructions (which are scant) are incorrect. I'm using different taps and counterpoise lengths for each band than indicated. Also tried using my 817 in AM mode and it's swr meter and finding the instructions for tap and counterpoise are off, just as indicated by my mfj 259 analyzer. I bought this antenna for hotel and camping use and think it will work out once I figure the general whip and counterpoise settings. After all it isn't meant to be your main antenna. I built the homebrew buddistick and want to use the 1899 instead on trips. I don't like trying to put it on the back of the 817 so I made a "quad- pod" out of half inch pvc pipe and a pl259 connector will just run thru the pipe and it helps support the antenna. Then I run a counterpoise from the radio. Still testing. Testing,,,,

F8FEO Rating: 3/5 Jan 7, 2012 09:56 Send this review to a friend
walkabout antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
hello
I purchase this item by "Radio world" Mfj dealer in UK , very fast shipping and good communication. I try the procuct, the adapter MFJ 7703 for FT 817 is not acceptable, the teeth of the 817 are not aligned ...( antenna is bent) First test in 40 meters with ft 817, more HSWR,
and on 20 meters (14 Mhz) with radiant of 1/2 wave and antenna connected directly more results, lenght of telescopic adjusted for best vswr appro 45" and N1 in N3, not in N 2 as described in notice.

I haved a good Qso with DL Ham in 559. Swr is reduced but I must test on other bands anymore.
It is a product for pedestrian hamradio, but for SOTA I prefer a dipole or ATAS 25, it's more sure.
My 73
alain

KJ4NWZ Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2011 02:55 Send this review to a friend
Good - So Far.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the MFJ-1899T a few months back as a temporary antenna to use with my FT-857D until the SuperAntenna MP-1 became available (still waiting, by the way). True, the 1899T was designed for the 857D's little brother (FT-817) but I decided to give it a try anyway (matching the two was like installing VW Beetle engines in a Rolls Royce).

I wasn't satisfied with the 1899T while using it indoors as I was having a lot of counterpoise SWR issues so I decided to try a different approach. I ordered the MFJ-332B magmount (which arrived yesterday), attached the 1899T antenna, slapped it on to the roof of my car, pressed the PTT button and BINGO - no SWR issues. Now I am going to do a bit of mobile globe-trotting hamming to really see how the antenna works with the magmount and vehicle groundplane. I gave the 1899T a 4 rating. That may change after testing. Stay tuned.

KJ4NWZ Rating: 3/5 Jul 7, 2011 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Ok so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
UPS delivered my MFJ-1899T yesterday from Gigaparts and I quickly pressed it into service. So far so good. I have a FT-857D so I turned the RF output down to 20 watts (25w is the max RF output on the 1899T). A counterpoise (CP) is highly recommended for this antenna. I use a 40' CP secured to the body of the 857D. I am wondering if that is the best place to secure the CP on the 857D. Any ideas? The heat sink perhaps?

Last night at 0200 hrs UTC I monitored an interesting QSO between two hams on 80m (I was in my bedroom at the time with the 857D using a 12V/7Amp battery with the 1899T fully extended with no taps, as recommended by manufaturer). Not bad. Indoors? Wow. Now I will try it out-doors on 10 and 20m tomorrow in the AM. Will report on results.