Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | MFJ 1899T Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1899T
MFJ 1899T Reviews: 22 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: Yaesu FT-817 Multi-band Telescopic Antenna 6M/10M/12M/15M/17M/20M/30M/40M/80M

Covers 80 Meters through 6 Meters.

This special antenna was designed specifically for the extremely popular Yaesu FT-817 Multimode HF/VHF/UHF Portable Transceiver. This antenna covers all bands (including WARC bands) from 80 Meters to 6 Meters. Power rating is 25 Watts. When fully telescoped it is 1.65M long approximately and is fitted with a BNC connector. This makes it ideal for the new FT-817 or other QRP portable radio. Band changing is achieved by plugging the "wander lead" into the appropriate socket on the base coil, and fine tuning adjustments are made using the 10 section telescopic whip. The whip unscrews from the base matching coil, so collapsed, the antenna measures only 32 cm.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1899T

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1899T.

KB0SFP Rating: 2/5 May 24, 2010 12:33 Send this review to a friend
No 17mtr & fragile  Time owned: more than 12 months
This would also apply to the ATX 'Walkabout' antenna sold by W/S & Power Port. I've had mine for about a year. I've used it many times with my FT-817 & others while pedestrian mobile. I broke the telescoping antenna tip & purchased a 75mtr only antenna just get get a new whip. My biggest gripe is the BNC only antenna connection which is too fragile both on the radio & the antenna. I made a goose neck base similar to military antennas from an old desk lamp & this did help.

My second gripe is no 17mtrs(even though the instruction sheet & the propaganda says it does). Tuning is no where near where the instruction sheet says. They could have easily added a 60 mtr tap for a few cents but they didn't, but then, they didn't bother to have separate 20 & 17mtrs taps so..

This antenna will radiate a signal but you must be very careful, & it a bugger to set up. I would buy another one but only if it were thought out a little better. I am amazed at the fact that manufactures build & sell this stuff then keep on selling the exact same thing for years the very same way even though numerous flaws have been brought to their attention.

Dennis Starks
Military-Radio-Guy
KB0SFP
Monitor(all USB):
3996, 5403.5, 7296, 14342.5, 18157.5

KF6NTE Rating: 3/5 Oct 23, 2009 14:40 Send this review to a friend
PORTABLE  Time owned: months
You need an antenna analyzer AND some sort of counterpoise to tune this thing properly. Once this is done it performs according to expectations. does a 1000 mile 20m 10-watt PSK31 QSO into Calgary from the San Francisco Bay Area during a low sunspot year while having the antenna anchored to my bed count as good performance ?. Not bad for a $50 dummy load. Are there better choices than this ?. You bet. I mostly use the antenna for monitoring the HF bands and it's nice to know you can use it for transmit albeit with limitations (the inefficiency and low power restrictions on the lower bands makes it practically unusable) but for 20m and up I bet it's pretty decent. The construction seems fragile especially the BNC connector.

KA3NXN Rating: 0/5 Jul 2, 2008 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Absolute Garbage!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This piece of trash is built extremely poorly. The center pin on the BNC broke off inside the connector in my FT-817. If I wasn't handy with a soldering iron and small electronics, I would have had to send the rig into Yaesu for repair and who knows what it would have cost me. Oh I also contacted MFJ about this several times and they NEVER returned an email or a phone call. I don't know what is worse their products or their support. What ever happened to their "no matter what guarantee" ? I just threw my $60.00 away. Don't by any MFJ junk. I can safely say that I will never own ANY MFJ garbage ever again. If I could give this thing less than a zero I would!

W6GQ Rating: 1/5 Apr 30, 2008 18:45 Send this review to a friend
has potential  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had this antenna for 6 months then sold it on EBAY. It has potential, but you need to carry the manual or a cheat sheat with you to find out what tap to use on a certain band then had to adjust the telescoping antenna different for each band. Just a pain in the butt. Once adjusted like the manual says it will work. I made several contacts using a counterpoise. If your looking for doing it on the cheap and do not mind refering to the manual everytime to adjust then go ahead and buy it

W8YT Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2008 07:08 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My antenna got broken and I tried MFJ's no questions return policy. I only paid minimal shipping and handling ($7.00) and quickly received a brand new antenna. I use it on 80 through 20 meters with good results; it is much easier to use with the Outback Joey tripod, and a PL-259 connector to the rear of the FT-817. It's definitely a keeper and go-with-you- everywhere antenna.

K5CLC Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2008 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic QRP Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased an MFJ-1899T used for a good price, didn't expect miracles from it, but added it to my QRP gear collection. Over the holiday using my Yaesu FT-817ND and this little antenna on 20 meters I was able to check into the Maritime net. 2.5 Watts output (on the internal battery) I talked to Utopia, ON Canada from central Texas. It's a keeper, and if i ever break this one accidentally, I will buy another to replace it.

N3YZ Rating: 4/5 Dec 5, 2007 14:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent SWL antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
The MFJ-1899T is an ok TX antenna with a counterpoise, when used with the FT-817. Iíve had some QRP DX with it. And then it sat in the box while the MP-1 did most of the QRP DX work. However, I've found that using the 1899 as an SWL antenna, with these broadbanded HTs such as the Th-F6A and the VX-2, and it is excellent!

W6GF Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2007 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Don't tell MFJ  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well my FT-897D puts out 20 Watts on internal battery, so why not give it a try. MFJ says the antenna is good for 25 watts. I hurriedly connected it to the radio and gave it a shot inside. Nothing and hard to tune. So the next day was the on the air swap meet day and a lovely day outside. (I have to say that I live in Southern California). This time I added a counterpoise to the ground lug on the radio. I could not believe what I heard and did. SWR was tuneable to flat and signals were strong. Ok it heard, but can any body hear me. After a couple of listing I did my "contact" and net control came right back with a great signal report.

I used a right angle adapter to connect to the coax connector. I just used the internal bar meter of the FT-897D to adjust SWR. The factory setting get you close enough. You just have to use your noggen a little to get the SWR down.

For the FT-817 yes, but it is great for any QRP radio, just don't tell MFJ.

George, W6GF

KI4CRA Rating: 4/5 May 14, 2007 18:15 Send this review to a friend
It works as advertised.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my 1899T with my Ft-817ND. I had had both the radio and antenna a couple of days before I even attempted using it. Read the instructions on the 1899 and set it up as prescribed. Let me tell you, the figures they give you to tune the anteena are guidelines only! Wound up taking it down, jury rigged my MFJ 259B analyzer and actually finding "where" the antenna was resonate. Once I found out where the 1899 was resonate, I again hooked everything up threw out a 50' earth ground and was checking into a net in MI. So yea this antenna does work as advertised, just wish the instructions were a little more clear.

This antenna still holds a place in my gear, and once I'm in a position to where I can give it a proper workout, I will revise my post then.

73 de Mark
AI4HO

KD4KLD Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2007 18:10 Send this review to a friend
Good performance for a compromise antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I gave a great rating based upon my expectations. The antenna works as well as a coiled 54" whip can be expected to. I've even worked a few 75m phone contacts with a folded counterpoise (zip wire soldered at 1 end) using my ft 817. As mentioned, the antenna does not measure up to my MP-1 but the convenience was worth the 50$ price I paid at a hamfest bone yard!
Note, the freq. measurements on the instruction page were almost useless! But once I figured out the tap/length required, I can easily tune all bands up to 80m. For Portable Ops the antenna suits my needs!