Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Vibroplex Origional Bug Help

Reviews Summary for Vibroplex Origional Bug
Vibroplex Origional Bug Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $170
Description: The original "bug."
More info: http://www.vibroplex.com/

You can write your own review of the Vibroplex Origional Bug.

W0WCA Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2013 06:34 Send this review to a friend
Brand New Original  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Over the last 30 plus years I have owned a half dozen “bugs”. The brown Santa just delivered my first BRAND NEW Original Vibroplex. WOW! Shiney, smootgh and Great looking. Nostalgic. I am as happy as a pup with two . . .! Really NICE!!! Good on Vibroplex!

W2TAC Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2012 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Gives Me Joy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have Vibroplex Original Standard (s/n 373676). I purchased it at Barry Electronics in NYC in 1974 when I was one year out of college. I wish I still had the receipt, but it was an "investment" at that time and I treasure it now. Every CW aficionado should own at least one Vibroplex. A piece of history. Scott Robbins, the current owner of Vibroplex in Knoxville, TN did a great job recently refurbishing this bug. I was away from amateur radio for many years and didn't always store it in the best place, resulting in some corroded parts that Scott replaced. There is also a great YouTube video, by Jim - WB8SIM, "How to Properly Adjust and Use a Vibroplex Bug," that I strongly recommend.
Bob - W2TAC

W6PRI Rating: 4/5 Aug 1, 2008 10:58 Send this review to a friend
GOOD KEY  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the Original Standard gray base bug (1974 Model) for several years. It has always performed well. Recently, I tried lubricating the pivit points with graphite lubricant. It works at least as well as the watch oil I previously used. Once you get the adjustments correctly set, these keys sound great. Congratulations to Vibroplex.

N0NV Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2008 00:47 Send this review to a friend
Pride in Ownership  Time owned: 6 to 12 months

I spent my 1960s childhood years in fascination while watching my dad use his Vibroplex Original and Lightning bugs. Sometimes he'd let me "play ham" with the bugs, enabling only the sidetone oscillator in his rig. It was a strong seed to be planted during my formative years.

To make a long story short, I was a ham using a Bencher paddle for 23 years before I decided to challenge myself. I purchased a new Original bug, and fortunately I also had the excellent guide written by Brian Murphy, VE2AGO.
After much fine-tuning of the adjustments and some sidetone practice, the seed finally germinated.

I purchased mine direct from the factory to obtain one from a recent production run, even though it costs more than through a dealer. In my opinion, the quality at Vibroplex had slipped prior to the current management. I believe that under the new owner, W4OA, the Original bug has been restored to its former quality level, and even beyond. The parts in my new bug just seem to fit and line up better than on bugs I've seen which were made in the 80s and 90s. I also purchased the Vari-Speed attachment, which extends the speed range for QRS or QRQ, depending on where it's placed on the lever arm.

If you find yourself bored with paddle-sending, I highly recommend this retro-alternative.

--... ...--

Jack, N0NV

G6XCJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2006 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Original Bug is a few years old now, bought direct from Vibroplex it cost a few quid plus VAT on the doorstep. Its not an easy key to master, there is a lot of fiddling about to be done, but once set up it seems to run ok but i add plenty of 3in1 to the main spindle just to ensure good work. I use mine with a tamer as sometimes i am not awake enuf to handle its 20 plus wpm. But it is a good keyer and i would recommend it to others. It took about two weeks to arrive and Betsy really looked out for me.

NE4TT Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2006 15:49 Send this review to a friend
One Nice Bug  Time owned: more than 12 months
My CW elmer, Charlie KO4GZ, presented me with his Original Deluxe bug after passing my test.

He also included a custom hardwood case, similar to the old Vibroplex cases.
Wished the company still made the old style cases.

Other than having to clean the trunion pin, due to intermittant dashes, it has been a joy to use.

I do own a Vibroplex Iambic, and a Vibrokeyer, but really enjoy the Bug.

73 Jamie NE4TT

KI4BDS Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2006 19:55 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: more than 12 months
Awesome,beautiful,and I have the chrome one.I wax it once a year and people come to visit and always ask questions. Have gotten several interested in Ham. I also cleand up old ones and polish and refurbish them. Taught by an old hand (K3CN) how to tune one.Buy a used one and I'll make it look like new if it isnt pitted for a small pittance.KI$BDS

VR2AX Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2006 18:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Bug  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my Deluxe version new in around 1989. Before that, in the late 60s and early 70s, I tried (and unintentionally wrote off) several cheap imitations which were available in the UK market. This is an exceptional piece of engineering. It has a great feel. The only negative think I can think of about it is the inability to send at slow speed. A couple of years back I bought a Bug Tamer direct from Vibroplex and that, in combination with the bug, works fine at slower speeds, albeit with a slight degradation in the feel. Very reliable and has been round the world with me several times.

W7IS Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2005 23:50 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used Vibroplex Original line of speed keys since 1958. I really enjoy using the older keys from the early part of 1900. Take a look at the Journal I made up on all types of Speed Keys at the below web link. There are many pictures and interesting information for speed key users.

IK0XCB Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2004 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Precision and regularity  Time owned: more than 12 months
An excellent Bug,
it doesn't grant a lot of space to the dexterity of the operator, for these things the Lightning is best, but the operator rewards with a great stability and regularity of operation
Clay IK0XCB