Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Vibroplex Origional Bug Help

Reviews Summary for Vibroplex Origional Bug
Vibroplex Origional Bug Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $170
Description: The original "bug."
More info: http://www.vibroplex.com/

You can write your own review of the Vibroplex Origional Bug.

VE7BGP Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2003 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Original Standard  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently I picked up a really nice Mint Gray based circa 1968 Original Standard. Like my Chrome Lightning & Real Blue Racer this big is really nice to use and this Original is beautiful down to the 15 wpm ballpark with it's stock weight. Most say the Lightning is slower My Lightning needs extra weight to get it to about 18 WPM. I agree with a friend a jewelled movement is not any better feel to it then the non jewelled Bugs. Just remember a drop of oil in the bearings once in a while they will be fine. I now have 3 Bugs and looking for contacts on 40 & 15 for the H. G. Martin Centennial Award. See you on the Air.
Gerry

W3JY Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2002 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Original Presentation  Time owned: more than 12 months
I learned CW on a straight key, then bought a Lightning Bug at a hamfest in Ephrata for $30. Used it ever since, never bothered to learn CW with a keyer.

I like my Original almost as much as my Lightning Bug, but it's not capable of sending as slowly. I have a straight key in parallel for QRS.

As others have noted, it is IMPERATIVE to clean the contacts, oil the pivots and carefully adjust the mechanism. IT AIN'T EASY! But it's worth it. Too much spacing and it will sound choppy, especially between dits and dahs, where the pivot angle is at its maximum. But if you take your time, and carefully analyze how it all works, it is a joy to behold! Solid, lovely, handmade Morse that is to die for!

KA4KOE Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2001 23:54 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My wife Sheri, KG4KTW, did something great for our 1st anniversary and got me the gold original presentation bug....it beautiful. This thing is head and shoulders over my Champion bug, which I've had for years. Gold contacts, smooth action. As always, it takes a bit to adjust one of these keys. I've retired the HD1410 keyer by Heathkit...my daughter is learning morse with it now!!!

KG6FJF Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2001 20:22 Send this review to a friend
Also available left-handed...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
...athough Vibroplex doesn't publicize the fact. Only the Deluxe is available as a lefty, and it costs a few extra bucks.
It comes with the red paddles (which I think are REALLY ugly,) but if you send them back to Vibroplex with a note, they will swap them for black paddles at no charge.
Santa Claus brought me a Lefty Bug last year and I'm still trying to get the hang of it, but in the meantime it sure does dress up the shack.

G3VGR Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2001 15:17 Send this review to a friend
Wonderfully engineered  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned an Original DeLuxe since 1974. It is beautifully constructed and sends lovely morse. Indeed, I still much prefer the bug to my BY-1 paddle and keyers as it feels more personal when sending CW. It also gives me great pleasure to own and use a unique part of Ham Radio history. The Original wasn't my first choice - I'd set my heart on a Lightning Bug, but that model had gone out of production.

KC4TXR Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2000 19:50 Send this review to a friend
Nothing Beats the Ol' Original!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got the grey base Portland, Maine version. My only complaint with it is that during those dark days of Vibroplex history, they didn't rivet the label to the base. Since Mitch took over the company about 10 years ago, he fixed that and once again uses stainless steal pins to stake that baby down! Based on the Millenium Blue Racer I've acquired, Vibroplex quality has never been better! The original is a pure delight to use. You'll find yourself calling CQ even when the band is dead because it's just so much fun. Some people find bugs hard to adjust. There are several web pages out there that will take you step by step. Read, follow directions, it's not that hard. Once she's all tuned up, you'll never use anything else!

KA4KOE Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2000 04:20 Send this review to a friend
A definite challenge...  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I am at Field Day, I usually take three keys....a bug, a keyer and paddle combination, and a good ole straight key. I find that what I want to send with depends heavily on my mood.

However, if you want guaranteed attention these days, use a bug in the presence of a bunch of newbies to the hobby. You will always attract attention.

I never got rid of my Vibroplex...although my original equipment is gone and I am currently trying to get another station set up after a ten year hiatus. I can't wait to warm the old war horse up again.

I agree....adjustment is critical and bugs are a bear to learn!!

M0AIR Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2000 15:13 Send this review to a friend
Its a Wow !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for a couple of years now and almost gave up trying to learn it - I am glad I didn't. It just clicked - and I can send good morse that sounds full of character and sent by a person and not by a machine. Its a must - although not cheap ! Those small brass knobs for armoires and chests of drawers work well as bug tamers and are alot cheaper.

DK3IP Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2000 06:51 Send this review to a friend
My favourite key!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own an Original Standard since January 2000 and after getting used to the sometimes tricky adjustment of the bug, it became my favourite key. It puts you on the everyday challenge of producing fine sounding signals but at the same time adds a unique sound to what you want to say.
The finish of the key is nice and it is well worth the quite high amount of money you have to invest.
If you want a key that is not like most of the others - buy a bug, if you need a key that is very rugged, portable, lightweight and easy to use in any situation - buy something else...

W2ZU Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2000 16:23 Send this review to a friend
Great classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had mine in continuous operation since 1954, and it hasn't let me down yet. One careful adjustment of contacts/spacing, etc., and you can make great CW music.Oh,and the contacts need a cleaning once in a while too, but whose don't? Always have loved the ability to change the "swing" a little as my mood changes, something ya can't do on the keyboard or with paddles. Must admit that for contesting I like the Vibroplex iambic paddles for reliable, no swing CW, though. Still, this is the history of ham radio! Enjoy....