Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.2Kfx Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.2Kfx
Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.2Kfx Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $TBD
Description: 750W PEP HF Linear Amplifier
More info: http://www.tokyohypower.com

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.2Kfx.

K7QXG Rating: 3/5 Mar 10, 2013 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Started great;Ended very bad.  Time owned: more than 12 months
A bundle of power in a small package that proved very effective, especially in RTTY contests, for a period of 3 1/2 years. Then massive failure during routine operation. Repaired by skilled engineer, Shipping and repair came to $475. About 90 days later, another failure. Sent it to THP authorized repair center in VA (I live in Oregon). Estimate to replace final Mosfets again: $745. Does not include return shipping. I asked them to return it as is and it now will be a very expensive door stop. When it was working it was terrific, but it requires repairs beyond the ability of most amateurs (I tried and two other highly skilled technicians also tried without success). I now regret that I did not buy the Ameritron AL-811H. In fact, I could have bought four AL-811Hs for what I paid for this amp and the first repair cost.
Lesson learned: Don't buy it unless you can repair it yourself.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2011 10:57 Send this review to a friend
WHAT A BARGAIN!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I hav a broken angle and had an operation on my foot. Taking pain pills galore and just reviewed my HL-1.2Kfx amp and sent it to the HL-1.5 review section! So Sorry.

This amp fits perfectly on my desk. No additional power supply supply needed. Running 110 volts. Perfect operation and very simple. This amp should last a long time and give you years of total enjoyment. 750 watts is amazing, especially here in the Midwest with a 10' vertical dipole and East coast pileups. I BREAK THROUGH EVERY TIME! Usually with only 500 watts! Go to my QRZ.COM web site and see it on my desk. If you want to know anything more, write to me: Terry, N0YXE

KE5OQV Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2011 17:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent linear amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this linear amplifier in conjunction with a Kenwood TS-570D(G) transceiver. The antenna is a Mosley 33A Mini beam.

I received the Tokyo amp from Array Solutions checked out and ready to go. After reading the manual, I hooked up the interconnecting cables and powered up the station. Running 85w from the exciter, the power out averaged 550 watts into the antenna with a SWR equal to ~1.2.

After several hundred QSOs and busting through many pileups, I have nothing but praise for the Tokyo amp. The amp is very quiet even after several hours of use. Fan noise is almost nonexistent. The meter provides monitoring of all the important data needed. It's nice and compact, matching up well with the Kenwood transceiver.

The amp is not cheap but in this world, you get what you pay for. In the case of the Tokyo 1.2 Kfx, you get an excellent product.

KH6DC Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2011 15:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, had this linear for almost a year and it's amazing and haven't let me down yet. In busting pileups, I use this linear at full out put of 750W and a few contester tricks people taught me which results in the contact. I'm, please with the small footprint though the fan is loud - a small price to pay for the clean power output. No need to tune like my tube amp. RTTY at 100% duty cycle, no problem. SSB, piece of cake. Get one, you'll won't be dissappointed.

NN3RP Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2011 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Small, quiet, perfect!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got mine off EBay about a month ago. It is practically as new. I had to play with the 220 voltage pots as the default was not giving the proper current for it. But after several tests, I found the right spots.

I placed a call into Array Solutions and their tech support person is superb! This guy had just return from a trip and had a cough and he still talked to me and gave me great support. I needed help with the ALC settings which was delineated by this fellow. I think that I contacted AS twice one day after the other and the same person provided helpful hints in the usage of this jewel.

I love this thing. It is very quiet when key up. It comprehends those who make mistakes at the operating station too (who doesn't). The fan noise is not too altered.

I decided to bid on this unit after reading about it here on EHam reviews. It replaced what used to be my Alpha 374 (1.4KW) which I sold after purchasing Tokyo. I really don't miss the 1.4KW and I am very happy with the 700W set up of the Tokyo.

Besides the above, I can now stay late night doing contesting and the XYL does not complain about high fan noise, and clicks / clacks anymore!

W0DXX Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2010 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Nice job THP  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Owned the 1.2 Kfx for about 10 months now and have to say these amps are well built and well thought out. I rarley have to use an amp on HF but when I do the reports are always Q5! If it has a flaw it does trip super fast if over driven, SWR etc and the only fault I see is that, if it trips you have to shut it off then back on to reset it. A quick reset button whould be better than the on, off and then back on again but if they didn't do that I would never have anything to complain about! Again THP, nice job and keep up the quality products.

WD4ELG Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2010 19:18 Send this review to a friend
My first amp, very happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first venture into QRO levels above 100 watts in my 33 years as a ham. I have been researching for about 5 years, talked with a bunch of hams who owned just aboute every model from Alpha to Ten Tec to Ameritron to Acom to THP, and to the legacy amps of yester-year.

What I wanted was a no-tune amp that would work on 120V in my upstairs ham shack, and needed it to be simple to use and have some protective measures.

Wow, I hit the jackpot. Bought through Array Solutions (thanks Bob, who spent an hour on the phone helping me define my requirements!). I was not unfamiliar with the high price tag for this unit, and it was not lightly that I made the purchase, but I knew I could get refund from Array Solutions if not happy.

Well, I could not be happier. The thing is idiot-proof with plenty of protections (I have needed several so far, as I am not that good at multi-tasking and sometimes pick the wrong antenna on the switch or forget to change the band on the amp my first night at 0200 local!)

Operation could not be simpler. Instructions easy, oh and Array Solutions has their own supplemental manual with recommendations for maximizing the life of the amp while getting the most out of it.

Why did I break down and shell out $2.5K for this thing? In 33 years, I have worked almost 280 countries with 100 watts and wires/modest wire yagis. I cannot improve my antenna farm beyond what it is now. My Elmer always said invest in the antennas until you cannot improve them, and THEN you can get an amplifier. As hams, we are required to use the minimum power necessary to achieve communications. Well, guess what? I missed out on BS7H. I was unable to work VU4. I have tried for years to work BY, 9V1, 9M2, 9M6, XV, XW, P2. I CAN hear them, but they never hear me (except for a single BY in 2008). And with Spratly coming in 2011, it's time to go to the next level if I am going to break the DXCC 300 count. So it was finally time to get an amplifier. And I wanted to focus on using it and not worrying about it. For the price, that's what I got. Power it up and it's just there and it works. Period. Built-in safeguards. Simple as flipping a switch. And I don't need 2KW on SSB or 1 KW on CW. 600-700 watts will get the job done.

KD8MJR Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2010 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Attention to Detail  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I waited for more than 6 months before writing a review because I wanted to have all the Facts before saying anything.

Out of the Box:
This Amp is like the finest made Mercedes Benz! Every Detail both Internal and External is top notch, Right out of the box I was marveling at how gorgeous the Amp is, the fit and finish are perfect, the paint work, the Knobs the meter, all top notch stuff.
Then when I opened it up I was mystified how every part is installed with precision and detail. Solder joints are perfect, PC boards are perfect, parts placement looks like something NASA would do, everything is setout to be as compact as possible yet get the best air flow! I noticed no extra jumper wires, all proper connectors used; all parts look like they are hand picked to be the best. In a word, this Amp is Amazing.

Operation:
After seeing the quality of the build you start to have no doubts that this Amp will be a performer and the 1.2KFX does not disappoint! Itís operation is simple and clean.
The Fault protection picks up on everything; and so fast that it made my Relay driven Amp/Tuner bypass useless because before the tuner bypass Relay could fly the THP had detected a high SWR and it faults before the relay could even click. So in a nutshell all you have read about THPís ability to handle user mistakes and possible bad connections is true, this Amp protected itself from every mistake that I have made in the last 8 months and that list, is fairly long.

The Fan:
The Fan on the 1.2KFX has two speeds, the normal speed is a little loud but nothing that is overbearing, the second Fan speed is much louder but the Truth is I had the Amp for 6 months before I realized it had two speeds. During normal SSB work, even after 2 hours of QSO at full power the unit is barely warm, itís only when I finally did a QSO in FM mode for about 10 minutes that the Fan went into high gear! I was shocked when it did as I had no idea it had two speeds! After about 2 minutes the Fan went back to low speed and I have never heard it Rev up again, and thatís with over 1000 contacts since owning the Amp.

Reports:
All the reports I have gotten have been very positive. The IMD etc seem to be fine and
The Amp seems to add no distortion to my signal.

Output:
I own an LP-100A digital Vector Meter, now if you know what that is I need not explain further what kind of Accuracy this Meter produces, for others lets just say that this Meter is the closest thing you can buy that comes up to a Few thousand dollar HP calibration Meter.

The 1.2KFX Loafs at 750 Watts, it can peak at 1000 Watts but I donít recommend it.
For those who will Balk at that, keep in Mind the 1.2KFX uses the Same PA board as the 1.5KFX. and the four SD2922 MOS FETS in this PA board could do 1200 Watts, so the 1.2kfx is really limited by itís power supply, which when connected to a proper 220V
line can do some Amazing things. I donít recommend you drive your Amp to these levels, as it may shorten its life, but I can tell you that the 1.2kfx does have a very conservative power rating.

Conclusion:
If you have the money and you want the absolute best then consider any THP Amp as a worthy investment. They say you get what you pay for! In the Case of the 1.2kfx youíre possibly getting a bit more than what youíre paying for 

WE1X Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2010 08:59 Send this review to a friend
Pure Joy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased my HL-1.2Kfx 6+ months ago. Simple to set up and operate. Well designed, manufactured and packaged. Yes, a bit sensitive to stray RF and SWR at 2:1, but a few snap on ferrite chokes fixed the stray RF problem. Protection circuits work as they should (yes, occasional pilot error operating the amp on the wrong band).

The only nits I have (and they are nits) are (a) the fan is a bit loud (tolerable, but loud nonetheless) and (b) if you do trip the unit into protection mode you need to shut the amp down then power back on (given you shouldn't allow this to happen very often it's really not much of an obstacle).

By the way, for those of you having two rigs and wanting to interface both to the HL-1.2Kfx there is a nice elegant solution. I use the LDG ALK-2 to interface the key and ALC lines from each rig to the amp. Works great.

Harry WE1X

KH6DC Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2010 23:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 16 years using an Ameritron Al811 tube amp, I bought a Tokyo Hy-Power HL1.2KFx since good quality tubes are getting harder to find. Plugging it in and connecting it to my Icom 7600 and Palstar AT-Auto tuner, this linear is a breeze to use with no tuning required. Opening the cover, the attention to detail is excellent. From the meticulously wound torroids to the perfect connections and soldering job. No solder balls or screws rolling around on the bottom of the case. I saw a friend's Ameritron ALS1300 and the poor attention to detail is a shame with sloppy connections and cold solder joints. He sent it back to HRO and bought a Tokyo Hy-Power HL1.1KFX 600W linear. 750 watts out on SSB and linear runs cool and quiet on 220VAC. Great job THP, awesome!!!