Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Kenwood SP-23 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood SP-23
Kenwood SP-23 Reviews: 19 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $80.00
Description: Kenwood speaker matching the TS-2000, TS-570 ect...

You can write your own review of the Kenwood SP-23.

KB7TPB Rating: 1/5 Jul 17, 2014 22:28 Send this review to a friend
I would not buy this speaker again.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased an SP-23 speaker to match my TS-590. The factory speaker in my TS-590 sounds better. Thinking it might be the audio output of my radio I tried the speaker on my other radios. I even switched the connecting wires to make sure it was the speaker. Although I really like the looks it has very poor sound. Before you buy one read all the reviews. To get good sound you have to replace the speaker and I thought that was what I was buying.

EI2HWB Rating: 3/5 May 15, 2014 05:40 Send this review to a friend
Weak and tinny, fine for a scanner but not a TRX  Time owned: more than 12 months
I received the SP-23 when I purchased a Kenwood TS-850. After I let the radio go I was left with the speaker. I find that the SP-23 is a little tinny and doesn't have the full sound when connected to any of my other TRX's. I find it is fine when connected to my FRG-9600 and that is where I will leave it! I use a Yaesu SP-8 with my TRX's and find that the sound is full, smooth and what I would expect expensive radios to sound like.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2014 13:07 Send this review to a friend
nice affordable speaker  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Using mine with an ICOM IC-7600. The sound is full and nice even with higher volume levels on AM broadcast. The case makes a sturdy impression - much better than the ICOM SP-23. For less than half the price of the ICOM you get a much better sound and a decent quality speaker (although without any filter options and only one single input). The box says 'made in Japan' not in China like the Icom. Ordered a second one for my TS-480HX.

AJ3H Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2013 18:56 Send this review to a friend
great speaker for voice communications  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought it after worrying greatly about some of the reviews about the sound quality. It is a great speaker for voice communications. It does not have the +bass response (which muddles voice communications) of 4” or 5” surround sound speakers. Match to my TS-590s with its DSP filtering and RX equalizing features gives me a sound that I prefer to listen to with a HF radio.

Case/cabinet = 5.0 plus - The metal cabinet is very professional looking (technical look) vs Wood Box.

Sound = 5.0 - I don’t have the cheap transistor radio sound that has been reported and feel there is no need to replace the driver.

Matching the TS-590s = 4.0 - All grey cabinet and front panel match the grey stock microphone but not the 590s Black painted radio.

Purchased new from HRO November 2013.

Would buy again and would recommend it to a friend.

Regards

VE3ATM Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2012 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Good Quality Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased an SP-23 speaker to match my TS-590. Having read some of the other reviews I also ordered a BOSS driver to replace the factory one. I ordered and had these two items sent to my daughters in Florida as we were going to visit. When I got back home and hooked up the speaker to my 590 I was quite suprised at the quality of the sound.

I previously had an TS-850sat with the matching SP-31 speaker and I would say that the sound from the SP-23 is as good as the SP-31. I opened up the speaker and from descriptions in other reviews I would say that Kenwood has redesigned the speaker and put in a better driver. I changed out the Kenwood driver and put in the BOSS $15 driver that I purchased separately expecting to hear better sound than the Kenwood driver, but I would say that the sound is very similar, maybe slightly better, but not worth the effort or money to change out the original.

If you are purchasing a new SP-23 try it before purchasing another driver as you may be suprised at the sound quality.

IZ0NPN Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2012 23:00 Send this review to a friend
Now useful  Time owned: months
Like WT4C said, there is a lot of space inside the case of this speaker. Well, i used this space to put inside a modified atx switching power supply 35A 13,8V. It fitted PERFECTLY! I started removing the bakelite plate with "8ohms" label, putting a 220v triangular socket (PC'S way) and the backpanel has enough holes to connect a switch, plugs red and black, a little fan...it works very well, i save a lot of space in my desk, no rf issue...The rate of sp 23 ALONE is 2 but now is a full 5. Surely no for the sound! Bye from Claudio, Roma-Italia.

GM0WNR Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2012 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Good with FT-897D  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use mine with a Yaesu FT897D, not quite what you would expect, but it works great! I bought it on a whim from my local amateur emporium, and find that with the CW filter, and DSP and the sp-23 it is a killer CW combination. I only paid half the new price, so I'm happy with my bargain speaker!

WB6UTW Rating: 1/5 Oct 29, 2011 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Easy to improve  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having a hearing impairment made this speaker almost unusable to me. Following some ideas posted in this review, I was able to remove its stock 3 inch diameter "transistor radio" speaker and replace it with a much beefier 3 inch Harman Kardon PC speaker from my junk-box. Drilling 4 small holes in the cardboard mounting plate allowed me to use the existing mounting screws but I had to purchase four flat washers and metric nuts to complete the job. The results were amazing! I too am amazed why Kenwood would skimp on such a cheap stock speaker.

KB4LGM Rating: 3/5 Apr 7, 2011 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my SP 23 on a whim. It is not a great speaker but at the same time not bad one either. I use this on my old Bearcat scanner and it works much better than the built in speaker. It is good for general use but I would not us it on more on air rig.

WA7NDD Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2011 09:02 Send this review to a friend
Works well with TS590s  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Reading the other reviews on this speaker I was a bit hesitant when I purchased it along with my new TS-590s. I wanted a matching speaker and saw there was a fix in these reviews to replace the cone. The speaker looks good and sounds good with my 590 and I am glad I bought it, and will not be replacing the cone. If I wanted anything more from the SP-23 it would be a headphone jack in front, there is no jack on it at all. Color matches the new 590.
Jim, WA7NDD