Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Kenwood SP-23 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood SP-23
Kenwood SP-23 Reviews: 25 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $80.00
Description: Kenwood speaker matching the TS-2000, TS-570 ect...

You can write your own review of the Kenwood SP-23.

N5XJT Rating: 4/5 Mar 4, 2018 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Good.....afterwards  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Perfect match for my TS-450 but poor sound as purchased. Installed a 1/2 inch thick solid styrofoam baffle to fill the entire cavity placed in the middle of the speaker interior. Audio clarity was much improved and a little more bass resulted. Previously would have rated a "2", this minor change improved the speaker to a "4" and cost was insignificant.
AC5KD Rating: 3/5 Mar 4, 2018 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Kenwood SP-23 Upgrade  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wasn't very impressed with the sound of my new SP23, but, I found a way to upgrade to a better speaker with a bigger magnet driver here:

After installing this better speaker, it sounds much better, but you have to decide if it's worth buying the SP23, and then buying this speaker upgrade at $36. I wanted a speaker to match my Kenwood TS2000, so the SP23 does that, but, it really needs this speaker upgrade to make it as it should be from the factory. If you get the SP23, and do the speaker upgrade, you can get an acoustics kit to line the inside of it here:

So, if you buy the SP23, then buy the better speaker for $36, and the acoustics kit for another $36, you'll probably have a really good speaker, and it'll still be much cheaper than a Kenwood SP990. If you have a SP23, consider at least getting the speaker upgrade, and you'll be happier with it.
IK1VQY Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2017 14:54 Send this review to a friend
Very good for human voice  Time owned: more than 12 months
Little and simple speaker, It's very good for human voice, very clear. I like it with my TS-2000E.

WB4TJH Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2016 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Overpriced new , but OK used  Time owned: more than 12 months
I did like W3END, but used a mass of synthetic fiber used for stuffing pillows and it really improved the sound quality. I got mine for about $25 used at least 25 years ago and have used it on a dozen different radios since. Buy one for a good price used at a hamfest, and fill the empty case with tightly packed pillow stuffing and you will be amazed at the difference it makes in audio quality.
W3END Rating: 4/5 Feb 1, 2015 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Not the best but OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I followed the advice of a friend and filled an old nylon stocking (loosely) with packing peanuts. Then stuffed this into the open cavity. It takes the "tinny / hollowness" away resulting in what I think is a deeper, better quality sound. Again, this isn't the best ext. speaker IMO but it's OK. If like others you replace the speaker it probably makes it better but I'll live with this as it is now. It's fine and works for me.
KK8ZZ Rating: 2/5 Dec 16, 2014 10:04 Send this review to a friend
Hmmmm  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Our friends at Kenwood, well known for excellent audio, should not have subcontracted this out to the lowest bidder. Poor audio, nice case. Darned shame....
KB7TPB Rating: 1/5 Jul 17, 2014 22:28 Send this review to a friend
I would not buy this speaker again.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased an SP-23 speaker to match my TS-590. The factory speaker in my TS-590 sounds better. Thinking it might be the audio output of my radio I tried the speaker on my other radios. I even switched the connecting wires to make sure it was the speaker. Although I really like the looks it has very poor sound. Before you buy one read all the reviews. To get good sound you have to replace the speaker and I thought that was what I was buying.
EI2HWB Rating: 3/5 May 15, 2014 05:40 Send this review to a friend
Weak and tinny, fine for a scanner but not a TRX  Time owned: more than 12 months
I received the SP-23 when I purchased a Kenwood TS-850. After I let the radio go I was left with the speaker. I find that the SP-23 is a little tinny and doesn't have the full sound when connected to any of my other TRX's. I find it is fine when connected to my FRG-9600 and that is where I will leave it! I use a Yaesu SP-8 with my TRX's and find that the sound is full, smooth and what I would expect expensive radios to sound like.
OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2014 13:07 Send this review to a friend
nice affordable speaker  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Using mine with an ICOM IC-7600. The sound is full and nice even with higher volume levels on AM broadcast. The case makes a sturdy impression - much better than the ICOM SP-23. For less than half the price of the ICOM you get a much better sound and a decent quality speaker (although without any filter options and only one single input). The box says 'made in Japan' not in China like the Icom. Ordered a second one for my TS-480HX.
AJ3H Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2013 18:56 Send this review to a friend
great speaker for voice communications  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought it after worrying greatly about some of the reviews about the sound quality. It is a great speaker for voice communications. It does not have the +bass response (which muddles voice communications) of 4” or 5” surround sound speakers. Match to my TS-590s with its DSP filtering and RX equalizing features gives me a sound that I prefer to listen to with a HF radio.

Case/cabinet = 5.0 plus - The metal cabinet is very professional looking (technical look) vs Wood Box.

Sound = 5.0 - I don’t have the cheap transistor radio sound that has been reported and feel there is no need to replace the driver.

Matching the TS-590s = 4.0 - All grey cabinet and front panel match the grey stock microphone but not the 590s Black painted radio.

Purchased new from HRO November 2013.

Would buy again and would recommend it to a friend.