Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Kenwood SP-23 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood SP-23
Kenwood SP-23 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $80.00
Description: Kenwood speaker matching the TS-2000, TS-570 ect...

You can write your own review of the Kenwood SP-23.

WB6UTW Rating: 1/5 Oct 29, 2011 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Easy to improve  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having a hearing impairment made this speaker almost unusable to me. Following some ideas posted in this review, I was able to remove its stock 3 inch diameter "transistor radio" speaker and replace it with a much beefier 3 inch Harman Kardon PC speaker from my junk-box. Drilling 4 small holes in the cardboard mounting plate allowed me to use the existing mounting screws but I had to purchase four flat washers and metric nuts to complete the job. The results were amazing! I too am amazed why Kenwood would skimp on such a cheap stock speaker.

KB4LGM Rating: 3/5 Apr 7, 2011 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my SP 23 on a whim. It is not a great speaker but at the same time not bad one either. I use this on my old Bearcat scanner and it works much better than the built in speaker. It is good for general use but I would not us it on more on air rig.
WA7NDD Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2011 09:02 Send this review to a friend
Works well with TS590s  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Reading the other reviews on this speaker I was a bit hesitant when I purchased it along with my new TS-590s. I wanted a matching speaker and saw there was a fix in these reviews to replace the cone. The speaker looks good and sounds good with my 590 and I am glad I bought it, and will not be replacing the cone. If I wanted anything more from the SP-23 it would be a headphone jack in front, there is no jack on it at all. Color matches the new 590.
WX4O Rating: 3/5 Dec 30, 2009 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Not so hot  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these for a year. It was acceptable only. I got rid of it.
IK1VQY Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2009 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Sounds very well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It sounds very well for its dimensions, very clear. The SP-31 sounds much better but it is greater than the SP-23.
I like it and not only for the line with the TS-2000E.

Best '73 de IK1VQY Alfredo
VE2EZD Rating: 3/5 Aug 31, 2009 05:31 Send this review to a friend
Sounds cheap but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine at an Hamfest to match my TS-570DG.
I rate this speaker 5/5 for the case quality and the look and 1/5 for the sound.
The only advantage to use this piece of equipment is to have a front firing speaker.
The FP-23 sounds like a cheap transistor radio of the 60s.

Then I read VE7DTR's review here on eHam and the mod he made by changing the speaker inside the SP-23. As he wrote the Scoshe speaker doesn't fit in the SP-23 but by just a small margin.

I took the original speaker out of the cardboard monting plate. I fixed the Scosche on this plate using two small pop rivets. Then, knowing that I could ruin the speaker, I used a Dremel to trim the edge of the Scosche just enough so it can fit inside the case. I checked the sound before reassembling the unit and the Scosche was still perfect. Then after reassembling it I now have a very nice speaker with much more bass.
The SP23 is now heavier and much more pleasant to listen to.

I rate the original SP-23 3/5 and it is mostly for the quality of the case and the look. VE7DTR's version of the SP-23 is without any hesitation 5/5.
NC2F Rating: 2/5 Jul 15, 2009 18:21 Send this review to a friend
Get the Ten Tec 307B instead  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I owned my TS2000 I matched the SP-23 up to it and thought the audio was awful from the Kenwood SP-23. I decided to plug my venerable Ten Tec 307 into it and it was robust in comparison. For the money and performance, the Ten Tec 307, to me, is a no-brainer for a external speaker solution.
VE7DTR Rating: 3/5 Jan 7, 2009 21:53 Send this review to a friend
Nice Case/Cheap Driver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I really wanted a speaker to match my Kenwood rig. I knew they didn't sound good so I had already decided I was going to modify it as soon as it came in. I ran it about 5 minutes with the stock speaker and was also greatly disappointed. I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a Scosche FRS35 3.5" car replacement speaker for $10.00, trimmed about 4mm off of two sides with a dremmel. I Pulled the old speaker and hard-wood mount out. The new speaker fits right in on the mounting ears. I lined the cavity with packing foam and it sounds great, much deeper bass, sounds good for music on Shortwave too. Also looks cool as the chrome wizzer cone is slightly visible through the front grille. I am now very happy with it. I can't figure out for the life of me why Kenwood did not put a better driver in it. The cabinet is all metal and very high quality. Of course as with any modification - you do so at your own risk.

If your looking for good sound, you definitley won't get it with this speaker in its stock state. I gave it a three because the case is awesome!
WT4C Rating: 2/5 May 7, 2007 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing sound and a waste of desk space.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a three week wait (back ordered and shipping from the left coast to South Carolina) my final new station accessory arrived today. What a surprise. I really don't know what I was expecting and it sure looked bigger in the pictures but I hooked it up (cable white stripe to the + ) and tried it as soon as it was out of the box. The overall quality is good and the style matches the TS 570 but I'm really disappointed with the sound quality. It reminds me of the sound from an old transistor radio from the 60's. The internal speaker in the 570 sounds as good or better and this one will surely end up in the garage or an e-bay listing. Definately NOT the quality I was expecting from Kenwood. It does however sound slightly better when packed with speaker padding. Not quite as hollow and annoying but still NOT worth the $75.00 price tag. (YMMV)

My $2 fleamarket Motorola sounds much better it just don't match the new 570.

Slim (WT4C) says that.