Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | MFJ-1775 6-Band Rotatable Mini-Dipole Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1775 6-Band Rotatable Mini-Dipole
MFJ-1775 6-Band Rotatable Mini-Dipole Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$239.95
Description: 40/20/15/10/6/2 meter mini 14 foot rotatable dipole. Its tiny 7-foot turning radius fits on the smallest roof -- itís perfect for town houses, apartments and condos.

The MFJ-1775 is inconspicuous and low profile -- not much bigger than a TV antenna and can easily be turned by a lightweight rotator like the HyGain AR-35.

The MFJ-1775 dipole directivity reduces QRM/noise and lets you focus your signal in the direction that you want -- so you can work some real DX. You can operate 6 bands -- 40, 20, 15, 10, 6 and 2 meters -- and run full 1500 Watts SSB/CW on all HF bands!

The MFJ-1775 features automatic band switching and uses highly efficient end-loading with its entire length always radiating. With 6 and 2 Meters thrown-in, you have ham radioís most versatile rotatable dipole!

Each HF band uses a separate, efficient end-loading coil wound on fiberglass forms with TeflonTM wire, and capacitance hats at each end (no lossy traps). 6 and 2 meters are full-length halfwave dipoles.

Built-to-last -- incredibly strong solid rod fiberglass center insulator and 6063 T-6 aircraft strength aluminum tubing radiator.

Assembles in an afternoon. Adjusting one band has little effect on other bands.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1775 6-Band Rotatable Mini-Dipole.

KC2OTD Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2014 11:37 Send this review to a friend
MFJ-1775  Time owned: months
PARA INFORMACION DE LA ANTENNA MFJ-1775 CUANDO ENMPECE A MONTARLA PENSE QUE ERA UNA ANTENNA SIMPLE PERO NO, ME QUEDE ASOMBRADO EN SU EFICENSIA COMO MULTIBANDA TRABAJA TODAS LAS BANDAS 10,15,20,40 CON UNA RECEPCION INCREHIBLE LA RECOMIENDO SALUDOS KC2OTD.

W5RHR Rating: 4/5 Nov 21, 2012 18:09 Send this review to a friend
surprising results BUT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I echo the comments concerning tuning.I managed to mount the antenna in its final location (on a rotator app 6 feet above my roof) so I was able to tune it in place with the aid of an MFJ 259.
No matter what I tried I could never obtain anything lower than 1.9 on 40, even at its resonant frequency. The other HF bands tuned nicely with 1:1 SWR and fairly broad banded.

The box was missing the 6 meter stubs, a call to MFJ found them at my house the very next day, so GREAT customer service.

Another issue I suffered was RF on 40 meters, with just 100 watts (set off my alarm system!). I would a choke at the feedpoint and that seems to help somewhat.

N4UP Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2012 06:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this for about two months and it works extremely well on 40-20-15-10 meters given that I have it installed in my third floor attic. I did not incorporate the 6 or 2 meter elements.

Easy to assemble, but it takes some time to trim the spokes ( with eye protection ) to the resonant frequencies of interest, starting with the longest wavelength band and then trimming the remaining bands progressively, one at a time. The antenna "starts" tuned to just below each band. Best to trim evenly in small increments, as the trimming is not necessarily linear, e.g., the first 1" of trim may not increase the resonant frequency the same amount as the second 1" of trim. Best to go in 1/4" increments. Important to trim all spokes of a band the same amount ( on both ends of the antenna ), to keep the SWR low. Tedious, but worth the effort. Trimming instructions are not entirely clear or consistent, but even so I had no trouble trimming.

You should keep in mind that where you do the trimming may not result in the same resonances as where the antenna is finally mounted, but the instructions explain this. Worst case you will need to bring the antenna down, obtain extra spokes, and try again. Mine was best case, I was able to mount the antenna exactly where it will operate and do the trimming in place.

Also, in my case, the resonant frequencies ( and trimmings ) are influenced by proximity to other objects in the attic ( like another antenna ), which effectively lower the resonant frequencies.

I used the MFJ-259b SWR analyzer connected at the station end of the feed-line to determine the antenna resonances. So up and down the attic stairs for each trimming. The MFJ-259b made the job easy.

Performance. Wow. Hard to believe how well it performs in my attic with 200 watts ( I have since increased max to 600 watts, but it works very well even at 200 watts ). Only six inches clearance from the rafters and fairly close to another antenna.

In six weeks I have over 800 CW QSOs including 560 DX. It is very rare that someone doesn't return my call immediately.

Of course it would be better up in the open air. And of course it is not going to compete with a multi-element yagi on a tower. But if you have limited space or HOA restrictions, then this is a very good choice.

One final note. The bandwidth on 40 meters is quite narrow ( 50 KHz ). So for me, on 40 meters, it only works on the CW end of the band because that is where I operate the most. In the 40 meter phone band the SWR is rather high. So you have to choose one or the other, or have a better external tuner than I have.

N7TVV Rating: 4/5 Jun 23, 2012 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Surprising perfomance for a shortened dipole  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As others have commented, this compact dipole requres careful assembly. Be sure to check ALL the pre-assembled parts, like the cap. hat brackets, coil connecting fasteners, etc. On mine, several of these were only finger tight!
Tuning takes some time, is a bit complex and the tuning instructions, while extensive, could be more explicit. Using an MFJ-259b it took me several hours with the antenna mounted (as recommended) at about 8' using a tripod to achieve proper resonances on all bands. End VSWR results were satisfactory after the antenna was at it's final height (43'). I am using an ancient HAM-2 rotator which easily handles this antenna's light weight. I also use a differential tuner to match the station to this antenna with good results on all bands. However matching is very sensitive to any moisture (like rain, etc.) which can change resonance significantly.
Performance is better than I expected and is exceptional for a loaded, shortened dipole. It is exceptionally quiet (low QRM) compared to my other antennas, especially on 40m. Directional performance (e.g. gain) is small, but acceptable on 40m, but much better on the higher bands.
The only other annoyance I note is a tendency to detune somewhat when any power greater than about 100w, is transmitted.
After 2 months, I rate this a 4/5 for performance with a few minor issues.

KF6VMC Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2011 17:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Performance!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A Ham friend and myself assembled this little wonder in about 3 hours. It does require alot of assembly ( lots of small parts ) and It Took awhile to get the SWR we wanted but after that came the big surprise, The MFJ 1775 acts like a much much bigger ant. It's performance sounds like your running power and a serious beam. In just two days I have made DX contacts from my QTH in Canyon Lake Texas to Italy, Russia, Sweden, Croatia, Guam, Belgium, Spain, and The Virgin Islands. Heres the best part all of these were barefoot at 100 watts on antenna only 10 feet off the top of my house. Reports of 5/9 to no less than 5/4! A QSO of 15 mins plus with Germany who sounded like he was in my yard. I keep looking up at this little marvel in total wonder how such a small footprint can work so well. I moved here from my last QTH that had a 75ft tower at 3,000 ft elevation with a Cushcraft
A4 with hats that did no better. I now question if I even need to hook up my 811H? Good Job MFJ I don't know who designed this little wonder but I am totally impressed. I have yet to use my amp and will follow up with those results later. The Radio used is a Yeasu FT-990..

KE4QZW Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2010 07:57 Send this review to a friend
Good for a small station  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna for 2 years and I constantly receive 5/9 reports from EUROPE on 20M. I have had no problems with it, it is hard to tune, but once you've done that, look out. I run 300W to 500W to it regularly. I have no complaints. I put it on a 40ft telescopic mast with a YAESU 450 rotor. I had a 3 element RAIBEAM up that came down in a storm, I replaced it with the MFJ-1775. I have no regrets.

IM0QMA Rating: 3/5 Jun 2, 2008 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Good ? Bad ?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the Mfj-1775 dipole to have also a rotative antenna and I thought that was a good idea.
It works good but has not satisfied me. My old vertical antenna is better in every situation and also the inverted V dipole.
It' s expensive and may be useful only if you do not have enough space for other solutions.
The balun was glued in a bad way and I needded to reglued again.
I think you can spend better your money.

W6YDE Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2008 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Great for small places  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned the MFJ-1775 for about 8 months. I use it at a location where there are CC&Rs. I have it on a home made tripod and painter's pushup pole, about 25 feet off the ground, with a Radio Shack rotor.

It is not hard to assemble, but it does take a lot of time and testing to adjust it. Read the directions many times over before you start. Keep notes about your cutting of the rods, and take your time. Once you cut too much off the rods and pass the point of the resonant freq, you can't go back. Also keep it away from items like trees and your home's roof. These items will effect the SWR. I coated the coils with spray on liquid plastic, to keep the rain out of the turns. All the freq. are very low on SWR, less than 1.7 to 1.0 except for 2 meters. I only use it on QRP and stay in the lower 40kc's of each band.

Mine works very well and I am very happy with it, I have worked a lot of DX on CW/QRP with a FT-817ND and received many 569 or better reports. It is great for small lots, I use it just for the fun of getting on the air. It is not for the ham who is short on patience due to its setup and adjusting.

73, Mike/w6yde

W3XAF Rating: 2/5 Nov 25, 2007 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Bummer!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's been over a year now that I constructed & installed my MFJ-1775 Rotatable Dipole. So far, I've burned up three different coil assemblies.

Hy-Gain, who now has control over all MFJ antennas, has sent me new coil assemblies because my antenna was still under warranty.

The problem seems to be with the 20-Meter coil. For some reason the fiberglass tube that the coil is wrapped on will eventually burn up and this leaves a rather large hole in the tube. After the hole is formed, my 20-Meter SWR shoots up and I can't use the 20-Meter band any longer.

Hy-Gain thinks that the problem is metallic impurities in the fiberglass tubes.

PD9JO Rating: 4/5 Apr 7, 2007 02:31 Send this review to a friend
Great with no rain  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use this dipool for a few months,I bought it new at classic-international. I can say that it performs unbelievable for a mini dipool!!
I worked Indonesia, N and South America en a lot of europian stations. I would like to give this dipool a 5 BUT: There is a BIG problem, the open coils make it so hard to transmit when it rains!!
Even the tuner of my Yaesu mark V can not make it wright, the total swr is gone..... check my story with pictures on www.pd9jo.nl. 73's