Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | MFJ-1775 6-Band Rotatable Mini-Dipole Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1775 6-Band Rotatable Mini-Dipole
MFJ-1775 6-Band Rotatable Mini-Dipole Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$239.95
Description: 40/20/15/10/6/2 meter mini 14 foot rotatable dipole. Its tiny 7-foot turning radius fits on the smallest roof -- itís perfect for town houses, apartments and condos.

The MFJ-1775 is inconspicuous and low profile -- not much bigger than a TV antenna and can easily be turned by a lightweight rotator like the HyGain AR-35.

The MFJ-1775 dipole directivity reduces QRM/noise and lets you focus your signal in the direction that you want -- so you can work some real DX. You can operate 6 bands -- 40, 20, 15, 10, 6 and 2 meters -- and run full 1500 Watts SSB/CW on all HF bands!

The MFJ-1775 features automatic band switching and uses highly efficient end-loading with its entire length always radiating. With 6 and 2 Meters thrown-in, you have ham radioís most versatile rotatable dipole!

Each HF band uses a separate, efficient end-loading coil wound on fiberglass forms with TeflonTM wire, and capacitance hats at each end (no lossy traps). 6 and 2 meters are full-length halfwave dipoles.

Built-to-last -- incredibly strong solid rod fiberglass center insulator and 6063 T-6 aircraft strength aluminum tubing radiator.

Assembles in an afternoon. Adjusting one band has little effect on other bands.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1775 6-Band Rotatable Mini-Dipole.

W6YDE Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2008 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Great for small places  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned the MFJ-1775 for about 8 months. I use it at a location where there are CC&Rs. I have it on a home made tripod and painter's pushup pole, about 25 feet off the ground, with a Radio Shack rotor.

It is not hard to assemble, but it does take a lot of time and testing to adjust it. Read the directions many times over before you start. Keep notes about your cutting of the rods, and take your time. Once you cut too much off the rods and pass the point of the resonant freq, you can't go back. Also keep it away from items like trees and your home's roof. These items will effect the SWR. I coated the coils with spray on liquid plastic, to keep the rain out of the turns. All the freq. are very low on SWR, less than 1.7 to 1.0 except for 2 meters. I only use it on QRP and stay in the lower 40kc's of each band.

Mine works very well and I am very happy with it, I have worked a lot of DX on CW/QRP with a FT-817ND and received many 569 or better reports. It is great for small lots, I use it just for the fun of getting on the air. It is not for the ham who is short on patience due to its setup and adjusting.

73, Mike/w6yde

W3XAF Rating: 2/5 Nov 25, 2007 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Bummer!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's been over a year now that I constructed & installed my MFJ-1775 Rotatable Dipole. So far, I've burned up three different coil assemblies.

Hy-Gain, who now has control over all MFJ antennas, has sent me new coil assemblies because my antenna was still under warranty.

The problem seems to be with the 20-Meter coil. For some reason the fiberglass tube that the coil is wrapped on will eventually burn up and this leaves a rather large hole in the tube. After the hole is formed, my 20-Meter SWR shoots up and I can't use the 20-Meter band any longer.

Hy-Gain thinks that the problem is metallic impurities in the fiberglass tubes.

PD9JO Rating: 4/5 Apr 7, 2007 02:31 Send this review to a friend
Great with no rain  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use this dipool for a few months,I bought it new at classic-international. I can say that it performs unbelievable for a mini dipool!!
I worked Indonesia, N and South America en a lot of europian stations. I would like to give this dipool a 5 BUT: There is a BIG problem, the open coils make it so hard to transmit when it rains!!
Even the tuner of my Yaesu mark V can not make it wright, the total swr is gone..... check my story with pictures on www.pd9jo.nl. 73's

AD5X Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2006 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Neat antenna for restricted space  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you have limited space, this may be the answer for you. Mine is mounted at 30 feet on a Rohn push-up mast. While it generally underperforms my ground-mounted Butternut verticle on 40 and 20 meters, it almost always outperforms my Butternut on 15 and 10 meters. And it is a much quieter antenna than the Butternut on 40 meters.

Positives: Covers the popular 40/20/15/10 HF bands as well as 6 & 2 meters. Very light, and verl low wind resistance.

Negatives: Bandwidth is limited to 40-60 khz on 40 and 20 meters due to the short length. And be prepared to spend 2-hours assembling it and 2-3 hours tuning it.

I have a full review on my website at www.ad5x.com.