Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | BIOS (Radio Shack sells) Wireless Wthr Stn Help

Reviews Summary for BIOS (Radio Shack sells) Wireless Wthr Stn
Reviews: 13 Average rating: 1.5/5 MSRP: $$199
Description: Has remotes for rain guage, wind speed, temp and direction. Indoor readout senses humidity, baro and inside temp.

You can write your own review of the BIOS (Radio Shack sells) Wireless Wthr Stn.

KD4VWV Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2010 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Beginner to Advanced Weather  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found a great program to upload data to CWOP and APRS. Go get WSDL Weather Station Data Logger and you can calibrate your station etc... Software that was included in a word is "Awefull" Otherwise great system.

WEATHERMAN412 Rating: 1/5 Jun 2, 2009 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Move On.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you are after an accurate, semi professional weather station, - you’ve come to the wrong place.

Pros: Reasonably easy to set up.
Appears reasonably well built and robust.

Cons: Biggest gripe? Accuracy. I have ‘old school’ equipment to compare too.
Temperature under reads by a couple of degrees.
Rainfall under reads by a fair amount. (it shows 19 mm, my rain gauge 25 mm!!!)
Pressure under reads by about 10mb!!
Display is difficult to read unless a very well lit room.
If you wall mount this, not too sure how you’re going to down load the data to your computer. (that needs to be wireless/ Bluetooth) supplied is a very short mini USB / USB cable.

Other than that it seems to work well!

Only people who have an interest in weather would buy this. Those people want accurate information, this won’t give it.
Do some research (like I wish I had now done) and stay away from this.
Sadly a waste of money. Very annoying.

ap_mack@bigpond.com if you want further details.

KB0EPY Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2009 15:32 Send this review to a friend
This system is great! Not sure why people are going crazy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Set it up the first time flawlessly. The great thing is I found out the Weather Display works wonderfully. You just have to have Weather Analyzer up and running. Dont even miss the peak gusts! It says 128 second delay. I believe that is from the proprietary application it comes with. I bought mine on woot.com. No disconnects no problems! I want to try and get the interface info for the equiptment and design my own custom applications for it!

Check out the site I am uploading to.

K1CJS Rating: 0/5 Nov 20, 2008 06:26 Send this review to a friend
Was given to me--and I found out why.....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was given this set by someone who knew I was a ham and a 'fixer upper' person. I found out why. The units are probably Chinese made, and the set is good for......taking up space. This is a perfect example of what a personal weather station should NOT be. It is so slow and clunky, and that is when you can get it to work. Worthless to meter wind gusts, and unless the wireless components are located close together, uncommunicative with each other.

Bottom line? Don't waste your money, and if given to you, don't waste your time. The units are useless for serious weather watchers.

KB2VYZ Rating: 0/5 Nov 19, 2008 21:12 Send this review to a friend
Worthless!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had both versions of this, don't bother using the wireless part of this piece of junk, you'll be lucky to get it to talk to the receiver on a constant basis. The rain gauge is worthless, accuracy is out of the question, it appears to just give you whatever measurement that it wants to. Finally, the worthless receiver, no battery back-up, if you lose power, it's up to the roof, or where-ever you put the outdoor sensors, remove the batteries and hope the sensors and the receiver recognize one-another or you could always wait 3 or 4 days for the receiver and sensors recognize one-another once again. I would not recommend this to anyone.

73 de Frank/KB2VYZ

WS5J Rating: 0/5 Nov 19, 2008 16:57 Send this review to a friend
Total JUNK!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Worthless hunk of junk. Constant "lost contact" messages between the transmitter and receiver, just 15 feet away outside a window. Requires resetting to MPH/KPH, Inches/CM, ect. every time the program is restarted. Don't waste your time or money on this.

VK5FRAQ Rating: 2/5 May 31, 2008 03:46 Send this review to a friend
stick your finger out the window  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned my wether station now for nearly six mounth
I am very disapointed with the software as many have written there is no real time monitoring which is what I believe it should do
The recording of data is near on useless in Australia there are very few places here that would reieve 10cm in 24 hrs so the rain gauge is no good for 90% of this country, our area has only had 33mm since I have owned mine.
Very few places in Australia are above the 275m mark and have little relation to Canadian cities so Barametric pressure takes days to adjust so perhaps a world zone add-on would be helpfull
The graph and tables should show all records in one page
Finally the instruction manuals are poor who wants to refer to 2 manuals when setting up a piece of hardware not me I cabn assure you
If anyone from Themeor reads these reviews it would be in your best interests to pass them on to the people at your work so that they can provide a prooduct or updates that make the product worth the $249AU i paid for it it is little wonder you can buy it as a close out in North America

W1VXA Rating: 1/5 Apr 13, 2008 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Leaves much to be desired  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the BW953 wireless weather station at the Santa Clara County Section Convention in February for $40 from the Radio Shack vendors.

Bottom line...you get what you pay for. The logging and display software is very primative, with no capability to upload weather data to the Net or transmit via digital modes. Data doesn't update in real-time (128 seconds between updates). Wireless transmitter is sensitive to RF interference and its signal can't even make it through the exterior walls of my house, since they are concrete. Those same walls make hardwiring the sensors to the receiver impractical.

KB7ZVS Rating: 2/5 Jun 2, 2007 00:35 Send this review to a friend
Not as useful as it could be.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wish I could give this device glowing reviews. I do like the construction of the hardware.

My experiences:
1. Wireless communication was easy to set up, and a wired option is available, but I have not tried it. (I have noticed that many wireless receivers have trouble if placed near a source of RF noise, such as a wireless phone, cell phone, CRT or Plasma monitor, or too close to a PC. A foot or two can make a big difference. This applies to wireless mice, keyboards and network interfaces as well.)
2. It was easy to set the time and date from a PC. I followed the directions in the documentation. There is a confusing departure from what the instructions say, however. The document says the item you are changing will flash. That may be true with the TV interface, but was not true running the software on my PC. So it would be easy to think you cannot set the time from a PC.
3. Updates are 128 seconds apart, pretty slow.
4. My unit preserves the date and units such as degrees Fahrenheit and mph when the software is shut down but power is maintained at the receiver. (This is contrary to other reports.) I do loose the settings when the receiver is turned off.
5. There is no way I am aware of, to move the data to other applications automatically to get it to a web page or packet TNC. This item would be great to modify and use with opensource software, but I think the user-base is just too small. You can manually output the stored readings in the transmitter to a Microsoft Excell spreadsheet.
6. It was easy to install, and the cables supplied are very long. Once your sensors are mounted, you could shorten the cables with a phone line crimper if you don't mind voiding the warrantee.
7. I contacted the manufacturer (http://www.thermor-ins.com/) about my concerns. They responded quickly, but told me that the device (hw & sw) is engineered in China, so they will not be making an SDK available, and have little control over software features. Too bad. So near, and yet, so far.
8. You can power the device from the receiver if you hardwire the transmitter and receiver together.
9. You can get a kit to power the transmitter using solar power.

Bottom line:
Not good for packet or internet weather with current software.
The interface to the TV or Computer is nice, but the software is lacking. I think in it's current condition it is really pretty much a toy, which is a shame, because a software upgrade could make this a more useful device. I suspect a software development kit or information for communicating with the device could attract a large user base. I am amazed that the software is so lacking in features.

For my use, it is worth the price I got it for (<$60 US). I would be very unhappy if I had paid the list price which a believe is slightly less than $200.00.

I am making customer support at Thermor aware of these reviews. Who knows? Maybe they can find a way to improve this product.

KC2ORG Rating: 0/5 Apr 3, 2007 09:16 Send this review to a friend
I can now see why this is a clearance item  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had this for a little over a month, got it on clearance at a radio shack in rochester. My first impressions were that this was a good deal for the price, but boy was I wrong.

First off I could never get the wireless transmit working. I tried a million times. Secondly every time the unit was turned off or the software was shut off it lost its settings such as MPH or KPH for wind speed, temp F or C etc. The date also reset when the unit was turned off. I had to wire the remote sesor because wireless would not work. Also I agree, 128 seconds isnt enough. A neighboring weather station was recording gusts of up to 60mph, but all I saw was gusts up to 20, steady wind of 5mph... i watched when the gusts almost blew the sensor off! but never when it was taking a reading.

Overall less than spectacular. After a reboot my software didn't want to load anymore. Reinstalling didn't help, so back to the shack it went. Get a real station like a Davis or Oregon.