Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Cushcraft A430-11S Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft A430-11S
Cushcraft A430-11S Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $107.00
Description: The Cushcraft A430 11S is an effective, modestly priced antenna covering 430 to 440 MHz
More info: http://www.cushcraft.com/Wireless_Product_Details.asp?group_id=1727

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft A430-11S.

WB0HZL Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2014 00:47 Send this review to a friend
Older Cushcraft A430-11  Time owned: more than 12 months
I will preface this with a note that my antenna came from Cushcraft before they became part of MFJ.

The antenna went together without any problems - everything lined up as required. The instruction were OK, but having built many Cushcraft VHF and UHF antennas they were no problem.

Making contacts out several hundred miles from my Fort Collins, CO QTH, using SSB and relative low power, was not a problem - the band did seem to come alive during contest weekends. If I can find another older A430-11 antenna, I would like to phase a pair of them. I do have to agree that N-connectors would have been better than PL-259s.

Overall mine has been great. In fact, I like it so much, I also got the A449-11 (again an older one) for FM.

W5GNB Rating: 2/5 Jan 30, 2014 06:08 Send this review to a friend
Average  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna came with a few parts missing and a hand full of parts that were NOT even related to this kit. As a simple yagi antenna, It went together quite easily and it does perform as well as expected for a yagi of this type.
For anything that needs to be weather tolerant, you might consider beafing this thing up or perhaps even another brand, it is fairly Light Weight.

K7BMG Rating: 3/5 Feb 27, 2012 20:49 Send this review to a friend
Humm  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Simple to assemble sort of.
The Reddi match assembly was put together at the factory including the heat shrink.

The problem with this is that the directions give exact detail to all the parts dimensions of the Reddi Match.

The heat shrink locked the Poly-tube in place so I could not match it to the dimensions in the instructions. I had to remove the heat shrink to adjust it. Cushcraft did include a second piece of shrink tube so no big deal.

The second problem is that the hole for element number ten was not drilled in the boom.

This was a minor problem for me as I have a drill press and jigs. Others with only hand tools…..well that could be a problem drilling the hole to proper dimension and alignment.

The instructions are simple to follow and straight forward, however the printing is so poor and fuzzy that for my older eyes even with glasses on and plenty of light I could not read the measurements in the diagram for the Reddi Match. I went online and Chushcraft does offer a manual but it to was just as bad. I did get it read corectly but the instructions need to be redone with clear text.

How it works is yet to be determined though I gather it will do what I need it to do.

Would have been four stars if I did not have to drill the hole.

N5XTR Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2010 11:39 Send this review to a friend
Never failed, fell twice!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My antenna came with stainless hardware (2005). It was easy to put together, and the SWR was right on the money. Pretty broad-banded also. The mast I had it on was blown over twice and this antenna held together, a few of the elements bent but they were easy to bend back. I have had it mobile and made many contacts over 100 miles with 20w input. The SO-239 connector is fine with me but changing it to a Type N would be about a 5 minute project. I also have an 11 element 2 meter version and it works well also but the boom is a little flimsy.

N4DBM Rating: 4/5 Dec 8, 2008 05:06 Send this review to a friend
Worked fine for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's not the most heavy-duty, first class antenna, but you get what you pay for. I don't like the PL-259 connector (Type-N is better for UHF and beyond) and also don't like the fact that you have to mount the antenna in the middle. I modified mine to mount on the end behind the reflector with an extended piece of pipe. Anyway, no major problems out of my A430-11S, it's worked well for what it is. If you don't want the hardware to rust, take $5 to the hardware store and buy some #10 stainless bolts and nuts to mount the elements.

KI4FIA Rating: 0/5 Mar 2, 2006 10:58 Send this review to a friend
Worse 432 ant I've had.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Its been up for 6 months and is just about to fall apart as the elements can't take salt air whereas my other antennas (non-cushcraft) can.

This same cushcraft I have on 432 (11 elements) has never made a contact more than 200 miles away where as my cheap Elk 440 Log. P (only 8 elements) has made several contacts nearly 500 miles.

Oh, I almost forgot when I got my CushCraft antenna there was a problem with one of the elements. This antenna came brand new from a Cushscraft dealer. I called Cushcraft about the problem, I only could leave a voice mail as there was no option to talk with a human. Over a week later I did receive a call from Cushcraft.