Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Comet H422 Help

Reviews Summary for Comet H422
Comet H422 Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $300
Description: 10, 15, 20 & 40M 'V' or straight dipole
More info: http://www.comet-ant.co.jp/products/still/08.html

You can write your own review of the Comet H422.

GM8SVB Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2016 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this 📡 a few weeks now and it works very well. I have very limited space for wire antennas and have used verticals to very limited affect but the H 422 works very well. I have a few good dx contacts and some local qso's. I only run 💯 watts from a FT 897d. It was very easy to assemble took about 3 hours. I will update this review in a few months time.

2E0RZK Rating: 4/5 Sep 2, 2015 01:08 Send this review to a friend
Good, but needs weatherproofing and SWR related modifications.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can confirm everything everybody has said about this antenna. It's good when it works, but needs thorough waterproofing of the traps and 20m SSB SWR cannot be achieved if you follow the instructions in the manual. I had to drill new holes in the 20m sections and fit them closer than the 'no holes' configuration to get usable SWR for SSB on 20m. I also sprayed some WD40 into the traps through the drain holes, which held the SWR stable for a while during wet weather. Block the top drain holes and leave the bottom ones open. Once working (mounted at 33ft), I achieved strong QSOs with the US, Chile, Brazil, Caribbean, Europe and the Middle East with only 50 Watts.

G4DBW Rating: 2/5 Aug 16, 2015 13:06 Send this review to a friend
H422 overhaul  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 2nd H422 antenna, used in the V configuration in my tiny garden it is the only decent 7MHz antenna I can squeeze in.

Took my H422 down after suffering more hi VSWR problems on 20m.

One of the 20m traps had melted. I have stripped and reassembled all the traps smearing them all with a liberal coating of silicone grease (dow corning ms4), and applied silicone sealant at all traps end caps to the boom joints. Self amalgamating tape across all the tuning holes on the boom. This antenna really cannot stand more than 200 watts of RTTY ... and less than that if used in damp conditions. Anyone know where to get spare 20m traps ?

N6RYA Rating: 4/5 Jun 28, 2015 19:16 Send this review to a friend
Additional Comments  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a good, relatively low cost, compromise antenna for limited space, but the main problem I've encountered is rain. Even after attempting to seal the traps, a heavy rainstorm will lower the resonance on 15 by 300Khz, on 20 by 200Khz, putting the resonance portion of the antenna outside the band.

After a few days of clear weather, the resonance point returns to "normal".

I've verified that no moisture is accumulating in the balun.

My Comet is at 35' in a "V" configuration. However, a 20M monoband rigid dipole at 30' typically will indicate a signal strength 2-3 S units stronger for a given station. On 15M, a monoband rigid dipole at 30' usually is 2-3 S units weaker.

On 40M, the 1:5:1 or less bandwidth is about 70khz.

To put the resonance points in the voice area of the bands, I used a "no holes showing" assembly.

Next time it's down, I'll have another go at waterproofing, using the suggestions posted here on eham.net.

M0SRW Rating: 4/5 Jun 7, 2015 09:36 Send this review to a friend
Ok for the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got mine second hand it worked ok for a few weeks till it rained the I took it down striped the coils re-riveted the all and coated them in wax oil and now is weather proof worked many stations qrp on 1.5w hitting stations over 6000miles with 5-7 signals on 15m-12m-10m the antenna is up 30ft/10m in a tree

NU6I Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2015 12:35 Send this review to a friend
better than expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna a few weeks ago despite my concerns
after reading the reviews.
The assembly was quick and easy. I did silicon all the plastic to
Alu joints on the traps. The rivets don't have any play.
As I didn't have the time to install it on my (small) tower it is at
4.5 ft in the back yard. Still I am happily surprised by the results.
I can hear way more stations than on my short OCF inverted V
with the apex at 30ft.
I will update the review once it is installed on the tower.

2E0WBL Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2013 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Review update  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I put up my H422 12 months ago, and after 10 months in my exposed QHT it finally started to act up. 10m has never been a problem, but the other bands seem susceptible to intermittent VSWR problems, presumably due to the ingress of water to the traps. When it's working, it's a great antenna. I've worked Japan, Canada, the US and Brazil as well as St. Helena all on only 10 watts. The antenna is coming down tomorrow for a rotator to be added to the mast, so I'll be waterproofing those traps while it's down!

VA2DV Rating: 0/5 Oct 28, 2013 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Lacking quality control  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered the antenna from AES and i am in Canada.
The box came in a week later in good shape.
Inside, 2 traps completely bent...unusable.
So I was done at the factory or somewere...
Well,big deception ! I am out 80$ for shipping to me and 56$ to get it back to AES.It's my last Comet product if there quality control is no better than that.Buyer buware !

K0RGR Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2013 16:35 Send this review to a friend
So far, so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had my Comet H422 up in a V configuration on a pushup mast on the roof for a few days now, and am very pleased with it so far.

I only had two issues with assembling it. The antenna is supposed to come with two 'tips' of different lengths. Instead, they included two of the long ones. I had to carefully cut one down to size with a tubing cutter. I was very careful to weather seal everything on it, and orient the drain holes 'down'.

The other issue was awkwardness assembling the antenna elements to the center plate, particularly on a windy day. For two people this would have been a breeze, but it was not easy for one.

Performance on 40 meters is great - this antenna is much higher than my 43' vertical, and works better on 40. On the higher bands, it's great - I think the added height of the 'V' configuration really helps it.

Now, my biggest concern is if it will survive the 'damaging winds' they are forecasting for tonight - so far, it's rock steady in a 30 MPH wind.

PD2EDR Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2013 00:35 Send this review to a friend
Works like a charm  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mounted it 3 days ago. Essembly was easy, al parts fit like a glove. Followed instruction to get it on lower part of SSB (in V setup). All well within SWR range. Tooke me 2 strolls up and down to get 40m ok for me (low part of band).

Tested for 2 days. 10m is superb, worked the better part of the globe with only 25 watts.
20m is, in comp. of my G5RV, up by 2 S points, and much more quiet as the G5RV. Could work Australia with the same 25 Watts. Asia and USA without much sweat.

40m is, due to my setup not a DX band for me. Comet is only 13 meters up, but still able to work all I've heared. Couldn't quite test DX on 40m as I just enjoyed CDX on 20m.

I'm just wondering if one could mount traps for 20m and 15m in different holes? For example, put 20m trap higher, to raise resonance freq a bit for 20m.

All and all, it did for me that what it was advertised to do. Money well spend