Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Comet H422 Help

Reviews Summary for Comet H422
Comet H422 Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $300
Description: 10, 15, 20 & 40M 'V' or straight dipole
More info: http://www.comet-ant.co.jp/products/still/08.html

You can write your own review of the Comet H422.

W2TCB Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2013 06:13 Send this review to a friend
Great If You Know The Secret  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love my 422 have han nothing but success - especially on 15 meters. I have kept the power belwow 250 watts even though the antenna is rated for more. I run my amp only with my 75M OCF.

When I assembled the antenna I sprayed the traps with several coats of liquid rubber (not the drainage holes). I beleive that this has prevented issues that have other have spoken of. I would strongly recommend this technique to ensure longevity.

Good Luck W3BBB

G4DYO Rating: 3/5 Apr 6, 2013 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Further to previous comment..  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just tested my H422 prior to removing it from my tower and, to my amazement, it appears to be OK. I ran a QRO test on 15, 20 and 40m and the SWR remained very low.

I can only sssume that the high SWR readings were something to do with the recent snow and ice which we have suffered. However, that doesn't fully explain why 10m worked OK.

I'd still like an answer to my question though.

Thanks

G4DYO Rating: 2/5 Apr 6, 2013 06:07 Send this review to a friend
H422 power limit higher?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had two H422 dipoles. The first packed up not long after I bought it and eventually the dealer provided a new one. The new one lasted a couple of years but recently packed up, displaying high SWR on 15-40m, suggesting a 15m trap had blown. I am rarely on the air and when I am it's only for a quick contest-style contact and rarely do I run QRO.

I see that recent advertising talks of a "new" design and high power balun supplied. Before I purchase a replkacement does anyone know if this is true? For example, are the traps now beefier?

G4DBW Rating: 2/5 Nov 13, 2012 04:56 Send this review to a friend
20m trap problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
My second review of this antenna and sadly I seem to have succumbed to 20m trap breakdown problems. Running more than 50 watts on 20m now results in chronic VSWR swings ...... so a great QRP antenna when I am running 5 watts ... but I really do not believe the manufacturers "200 watt" rating for this antenna.. does anyone have the same problems on 20m?

IW0HJR Rating: 1/5 May 11, 2012 22:19 Send this review to a friend
It may be helpful to know ...  Time owned: more than 12 months
It may be helpful to know what I'm saying.
I hope that what happened to mine is an isolated case.
In any case it might help someone.
The rating I gave for this product is not tied to the overall performance of the antenna, but its construction quality and attention and the overall product.
When it works really good antenna, the best compromise exists.
But now listen ... .
I bought this antenna new, unopened and in original (I hope).
During the assembly stage I noticed a small backlash of traps.
Knowing the problem of aluminum rivets I inspected before assembly and replace them right away because I owed ​​"backlash".
In later I started noticing problems of stability of ROS (SWR).
I always thought it was going on but the traps on all bands.
Moral of the story, besides having to re-riveted the traps that had once loosened (rivets) I disassembled the balun to inspect and change the antenna connector (I changed the drop cable connector. From PL-259 N).
The surprise was great.
Inside the balun screws that secure the terminals of the balun were absent.
You can view photos and descizioni in Italian at the following link:

I recommend you check !!!
Too bad because the antenna when it works, it goes very well!
I hope that what is reported an isolated case.

GI4SZW Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2012 02:11 Send this review to a friend
Very good antenna  Time owned: months
I have had this for a year or so now and it's an excellant antenna, strong, well made and puts out a good signal. Now, it's one week point,,,,,, do not,, NOT ,, use your linear on psk31 or rtty at big power with this antenna, keep the power level below 200 watts....... generally trap antenna do not like power, and this one definately does not. I burned my traps out twice getting excited with dx,,,, lol ,,,,,, Now I use the H422 with an Icom 746 on data/rtty modes 40/80 watts and keep the linear attached to the ft2000 for ssc/cw.... no more problems,,

VE6WR Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2012 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Still strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
I remarked on this antenna before. It has now lasted a couple of Calgary winters, temp to -40 degrees (C or F), gale force winds, and it is still working like a champ. No rivet problems. I had siliconed all joints and bolts and holes except drain holes which were on the bottom so no problem there. It is in the V configuration just 20' off the ground. QSO's all over the U.S., Central America, Italy, Russia...great.

N4DOV Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2011 21:05 Send this review to a friend
The beam compromise  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I think this maybe the best compromise for those of use who cannot put up a beam and have space limitations.Antenna on push-up mast ,nested at 15 foot,made over 500 contacts with over 100 countries/entities,with good signal reports - if I hear them, I can work them.Assembled in V configuration, it is somewhat directional,all joints etc siliconed,except drain holes. Took antenna down to improve SWR and reassembled with no holes visible,(see manual) and redrilled hole below 20m trap to shorten even further (approximately shortened by 4.5 cm from recommended SSB setting).SWR now <1.8:1 on all bands.Antenna is quieter than my vertical and so far has withstood a couple of storms,but time will tell about its durability.Very impressed so far with its performance.

9N1FE Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2011 02:50 Send this review to a friend
Very happy with this antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this antenna in 2008 while living in Puerto Rico (WP4FE) where I used it for few month in straight configuration, It was better that the vertical antenna that I was using before, then we move to Nepal in November 2008 to work as missionaries, and I didnít use it until July 2011 when I got the License in Nepal (9N1FE) this time I put it in V configuration at 75 to 80 feet height (25 meters) in top of a water tank (you can see a picture in QRZ.com, 9N1FE), with better result, I left 1 hole in the external segment and no hole in the internal segment to get better SWR in 20 meter band for SSB segment. These are my reading with the internal SMR meter of the radio using the LDG external meter and also with a SWR meter in the antenna coax cable giving similar result as fallow:
7.000 1 : 2.1

28.500 1.1
28.600 1.1
28.700 1.2
28.800 1.3

In 2 month using less than 100 watts with a Yaesu FT-857D I have been able to made more than 400 contacts in 6 continents only in 15 and 20 meters (because for foreigners they charge annually for every band you plan to use and it is expensive, so I chose only this 2, they have more activity now), many of the station that I have make contacts are using yagis antennas and amplifiers with more than 500 watts and they are giving me many time similar report that I am giving then. I try to water proof with electrical tape but still every time it rain the resonate goes down.
I am very happy with this antenna, easy to install with good result

EI4KE Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2011 02:01 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this antenna up @ 10m for about six months and have had great results, if you have no room for a Windom put up one of these, it will even work 6m (poorly) but it does work strong stations on 6 from europe, so at least I can have some fun on 6m. On 15/20/and 40 works about the same as my Windom 10/80 sometimes stronger sometimes weaker depending on the direction etc, all in all a good antenna. Watch out on rtty, keep the power down, I fried my 20m traps, they didn't like full whack out,,,,,my mistake, can't really blame the antenna, but no bother , Nevada fixed two traps for £50 incl postage back to NI, good service,,,, 5/5