Reviews Categories | Filters, RF: bandpass, lowpass, highpass, RFI/EMI, etc.. | PAR Paging Notch Filter VHFTN152-158 Help

Reviews Summary for PAR Paging Notch Filter VHFTN152-158
PAR Paging Notch Filter VHFTN152-158 Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $96
Description: A 3-section Notch Filter. One section each tuned to the 152 and 158 MHz
paging bands. The third section is tuned to whichever is causing the most
problem for additional rejection.
More info: http://www.parelectronics.com

You can write your own review of the PAR Paging Notch Filter VHFTN152-158.

K3GJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2004 22:27 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Product that really works  Time owned: more than 12 months
Dale has an absolutely outstanding product and provides personal service you don't see anywhere else. I bought my first filters several years ago and he responded within hours back then. Needing another filter for a new radio installation, I contacted him again and he again responded within two hours on a Sunday with the information I needed. The filters themselves are outstanding. Here in the DC area we have such a wide mixture of cellular, paging, security, transportation, and other unmentionable sources of potential interference/intermod. One such area is along the SE/SW Freeway where the intermod blanks out most radios. After installing the filter I was back in communication on both 440 and 2M. Even with all the numerous new security monitoring installations around the area we are able to use our mobile rigs because of this filter. Quite a number of the local Amateurs are now utilizing these filters and have experienced the same success I have. If it can work well around the DC area, it can work well anywhere. As a repeat buyer, I highly recommend not only the product but the unbelievable service provided by Dale.

N3GOO Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2004 23:06 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought it to make my TM-733 usable in downtown Baltimore. No more pager interference. Had the opportunity to put it on a network analyzer and verified the filter response and matching - no surprises, it does exactly what they claim. Going to buy the 440 version next, as I am noticing a couple of spots on my commute where that band has problems. Definitely recommended.

KC2KWK Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2004 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Best money ever spent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Over a week ago I purchased the ICOM IC-2720 dual band xcvr. It's connected to a Diamond X200A dual band base antenna. I was going to test it out inside the shack before putting it in the truck. After connecting it all up and programming the repeater frequencies that I use, I came across the dreadful intermod problem that so many hams have been reporting on this wide band receive rig. It was awful. Even on some local repeaters that came in strong, the intermod was still able to come through. And can you imagine what it's like on repeaters that don't use a tone squelch. Even the rigs 10 db attenuation and setting the 1st local oscillator frequency from normal to reverse or vise versa, did not help at all.

So I did some investigation on the paging towers, and found at least one about 2-3 miles away from me. I had a least 20 repeater frequencies, out of the 30 programmed, receiving intermod. Also my local police, fire and EMS frequencies (155 MHz) we also receiving intermod. So I went to the 152-158 MHz range to try and find these culprits. In just a few minutes, and I mean a few minutes, I found at least 10 paging frequencies in the 152-158 MHz range, 4 of which were hitting me at 40 db over S9. I actually thought these paging towers were on my neighbors roof they were coming in so loud. And when I tried to use the attenuator at the full 10 db, they were still pegging my S meter.

I didn't want to return the rig, it has some awesome features, it was like having 2 radios in one. Listening and scanning repeaters on the left side, while monitoring a simplex or listening and scanning public service on the right side. It has incredible sensitivity (thus intermod) I was actually receiving repeaters that I never heard before when using my IC 706MKIIG on the same antenna. And the cross band repeat is an added bonus.

So I talked with a local ham and we were going to attempt to null it out with a stub. I needed to find the strongest paging frequency and then put a T connector in line, one side connected to the antenna, the other to a coax stub about 24 inches in length. Tuned to the paging frequency, I'd rather copy CW or listen to digital mode transmissions, I began to cut the coax stub a little at a time until I reached a deep null when receiving the paging tones. Well I received the deep null, but the next step is to make sure everything is ok on the transmit side. Of course I started off with low power and received an SWR of over 8:1 ratio. This is not going to work and tried several more times by moving the position of the T with the respect to the transmitter and making new stubs. Then I began thinking, even if this does work, and I get the deep null with low SWR's, this would be great if I kept the rig in the shack, but what would happen when the rig is mobile? Am I going to need a different stub to null out a different paging frequency every place a drive? There's got to be another solution.

After doing some research on the Internet Christmas night, checking out message boards and all that stuff, I ran across some postings about an intermod filter made by PAR Electronics. I proceeded to PAR's web site and found the intermod filter that some hams have been talking about. The web site said to send an email to PAR for additional information on ordering the intermod filter. Well I figured it's Christmas night, but I'll send an email anyway and probably get an answer Friday morning or at least by Monday of the following week. Well I was wrong. Within an hour, on Christmas night, I received an email from Dale at PAR Electronics giving me the information I needed and telling me where I can purchase the intermod filter. So I placed my order that evening and also had some other email conversation with PAR on subsequent days, and every time I sent an email to PAR, I would receive a response within the hour. This is what I call service.

Well I received the VHF TN152-158 intermod filter yesterday afternoon (1/2/04), around 3:30 pm, and have been performing various test until this afternoon. The results are there is no more intermod from paging on any 2 meter repeater frequencies or in the 2 meter band (remember before the filter I stopped counting at 20 repeater frequencies containing intermod) and my local police, fire and EMS frequencies (155 MHz) no longer contain any intermod and still come in just as strong with the intermod filter connected. All other frequencies including aircraft, weather, and other utility stations are working well with the intermod filter attached with no degradation to the signal, and of course no intermod. I would say in my situation that the PAR VHF TN152-158 intermod filter cleared up my problem 100%. What a fantastic product. There were no affect on SWR's and all repeaters, distant or local, are being heard and accessed at the same signal strength as before filter installation. I even had to remove the filter from operation to make sure I wasn't crazy about hearing the intermod, it's completely gone. Now on some repeater frequencies, that I was receiving intermod that is gone now, I'm actually receiving distant repeaters that were being buried by the intermod. It seems like sensitivity was not affected. SWR's in the 2 meter band are less than 1.2:1 across the band, and 70cm is less then 1.1:1 across the band. It's amazing.

With the intermod filter, I'm actually going to keep the rig in the shack and purchase another IC 2720 for the truck, of course not without the intermod filter. Keep up the good work PAR Electronics.

WB6GHA Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2003 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Intermod Cure For Repeater  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Two of our local two meter repeaters had been plagued with ever increasing "intermod" for some time primarily by adjacent paging and high power LMR stations. The local repeater users were annoyed to the point of turning off their radios.

In an attempt to solve the situation in which we found ourselves, I applied one of the Par VHFTN 152158 notch filters to each repeater receiver and the results were, in a word, spectacular.

The "intermod" that in the past had keyed-up the repeaters and KEPT them keyed for long periods of time has now been completely eliminated. The mixing in the front end of the repeater's receivers seems to have been completely eliminated due to the design of the Par Electronics filters.

To say that we are happy with the performance of the Par filters is an understatement. If your club or group is experiencing "intermod" at the repeater site, an application of the Par filters might be what you need to help solve the problem.

If we can answer any questions about our particular installation of the Par filters at our repeaters, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks de John

N6PUO Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2003 16:41 Send this review to a friend
It Really Works  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
About 6 months ago I installed an Icom IC-2720h in my vehicle. I chose it so I could use it as a scanner as well as a dual bander. Well.....Icoms are known for there wide open front ends & this unit is no exception. There is a local pager company here in Coos Bay Oregon that is well known (& despised) for their high power & dirty signal. I couldn't use the rig for scanning in the 150mhz region in most parts of town. Normally I would run the squelch at about 30%. With out the filter you couldn't block out the pager signals even with 100% squelch, & the 2720 adds 10db of padding when the squelch is turned up full!

I tried the Parr FHFTN 152-158 filter & the results are great. I can now run the squelch at about 60 to 70% and still hear everything I want without the offending trash.

Great product!

W4RRY Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2003 13:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a recent problem with VHF interference. I got my old PAR filter out and fixed the problem. It lasted 6 months. I had forgotten it was a 5 watt unit and I was running 50! I looked up Dale on his web and called him on the phone! He fixed me up, got me a new unit and even gave me credit for the old filter! He is good with email, same day response!
You can't go wrong with Dale, W4OP!

N3JTN Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2003 13:03 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
used par vhf 152-158 for 5 years works very good...now on my kenwood ts-2000

N7UJK Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2003 00:07 Send this review to a friend
It does the Job and then some  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have two units in operation. One is located on my 440 repeater site which is in pager heaven. I use the filter here on a WX radio which keys up the 440 when there is a alert. Without out the filter each Wx report was garbled. The Par filter eliminated the problem. My second filter is on a FM broadcast translator. A second translator close by in frequency was causing a problem. The filter reduced the problem. Perhaps the second best part of PAR electronics is customer service. It is "par" none. Many times you get an answer back in the same day you sent it. This company works with you to solve your specific problem.

N0RQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2003 15:19 Send this review to a friend
fixed the problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My IC-2720H, though a nice rig, is rather loosy-goosy on the 2m receive side, even though I live in a semi-rural area, and there are no towers nearby.

Anyway, this filter cured the problem. I just wish it wasn't $80! Great product, though.

N7TRZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2002 21:02 Send this review to a friend
performs as advertised  Time owned: more than 12 months
I live in a Pacific Northwest RF rich environment named Portland, OR. My first radio after I got my ticket was a 2m/440 wideband FT-5200. I could hear repeaters 300 miles away. When a pager transmitter wasn't knocking down the AGC and making rude noises. Then PAR offered this triple notch filter. I went straight to the Candy Store and bought it on sight. As soon as it was in the feedline, blissful relief. Extreme sensitivity does no good when drowning in out-of- band RF. This filter lets 99% of the VHF band thru, simply knocking the VHF pagers down several dB, and has no effect on 440. My widow will be selling this item at my silent key sale.