Reviews Categories | Filters, RF: bandpass, lowpass, highpass, RFI/EMI, etc.. | PAR Paging Notch Filter VHFTN152-158 Help

Reviews Summary for PAR Paging Notch Filter VHFTN152-158
PAR Paging Notch Filter VHFTN152-158 Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $96
Description: A 3-section Notch Filter. One section each tuned to the 152 and 158 MHz
paging bands. The third section is tuned to whichever is causing the most
problem for additional rejection.
More info: http://www.parelectronics.com

You can write your own review of the PAR Paging Notch Filter VHFTN152-158.

K7NG Rating: 4/5 Dec 1, 2002 23:17 Send this review to a friend
Works great in the right situation.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put one of the VHFDN152 notch filters in the 2M leg of my mobile Kenwood TM-741, and the UHFDN452 filter in the 440 MHz leg of the same rig, then thru a diplexer to a dualband antenna. Both VHF and especially the UHF band were miraculously cleaned up of X-Mod. I don't miss the "hole" in the wideband coverage of the receivers. I can still hear the marine VHF band OK, with minor loss of sensitivity, and the UHF sensitivity was marginal in the 460 MHz police band anyhow.
There is still crossmod audible in certain places of both bands - the notch takes care of the major players of the IM problem - pagers- but there is still a long list of strong signals that might ding your frontend under the right conditions.
Don't expect too more than a notch filter can give you, and be delighted with your results.
73, K7NG

WA6HDZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2002 22:56 Send this review to a friend
Get it!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Anybody tired of the squeaks and squawks caused by intermods on their wideband receive VHF rig will appreciate this filter. It does the job and still lets you monitor other frequencies like aircraft, weather, etc. Now I can actually use the scanner on my FT7100M

KB1IIW Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2002 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the Triple cavity VHFTN 152-158. I have a radio shack discone antenna hooked up to the filter from there it gos into a amp then into 2 (somtimes 3) scanners. Before the introduction of the filter the scanners were plaged with intermod, so much so that listening to them was not fun anymore. I live very close to multi pageing tower sites and 1 block away from the WJUL broadcast station (intermod alley). If you are planing on txing threw the filter be aware that is only good for 50w of power (not very usefull for the IC-V8000).
Thank you again PAR for a great product !
You can listen to the scanners using the par filter @:

KA7GKN Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2002 06:32 Send this review to a friend
it's magic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this unit way back in 1996. I live a mile or so from a hospital and the pager boop-beeps were driving me nuts! I installed this unit in my yaesu ft-5100 and silence!
Well the other day I was installing a new mirage bd-38-g amp and I looked at the thing and thought hey maybe I don't need it anymore so I removed it...yep boop-beeps immediately returned! I was surprised the hospital has not upgraded their pagers since 1996...well the administrator probably wanted a new boat instead ha ha
I immediately reinstalled the filter and quiet!

I run the unit between the radio and the amp so no issues with power levels, it is transparent in UHF.
I am very happy with the unit and if your problems are with pagers in the area this unit notches you'll be very pleased.

regards, Marty ka7gkn@arrl.net

KG4OHE Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2002 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Well worth the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After putting up with the intermod and desense problems from pagers and the like, for several months, I decided to try a bandpass filter.

I had visited the Par Electronics web-site, to look at their 6 meter "loop" antennas for another project, and noticed the link to their line of bandpass filters and thought that it seemed to provide an answer to the noise problems that I was experiencing in my mobile 2 meter station.

I went to my local HRO, laid down the VISA card and came home with a brand-new Par Electronics VHFTN 152-158 triple cavity notch filter.

All I can say is: "WOW! This thing works GREAT!" All the racket that I've had to live with is TOTALLY GONE!

If you're tired of all the squawks, honks and beeps overloading the front end of your 2 Meter rig, this little jewel is your answer. It's easily installed between your antenna output and the antenna feed line, if running barefoot, or between the rig and external amplifier.

A little pricey ($82 plus tax) but well worth it for peace and quiet on 2 Meters in a metropolitan area.

K6EQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2002 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Great solution to paging interference problem.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like many suburban operators I was bothered by continuous interference from VHF paging transmitters pounding high-level signals down the coax to my poor little dual-band radio. Easily identified by their screeching tones and muliple signal mixes, I knew that a bandpass filter would eliminate them but it would also eliminate the UHF operation of my dual-band antenna and wideband receive capabilities of the VHF section of the radio.

The right answer is a paging notch filter and the PAR Electronics unit really did the trick! Anyone who says it didn't work, didn't understand their particular problem. It will do nothing for on-channel reception of external mixes, it will not act as a transmitter/receiver duplexer and was never intended for those issues.

These units have a specific use which solves a VERY common problem quickly and thoroughly. They are available in dual-resonator (pictured) and triple resonator (the "TN" model number) versions. The triple notches out both 152 and 158 signals. For the difference in price I felt the extra insurance was worth it.

The PAR filter did such a great job even my squelch tails sound cleaner and sharper...an unexpected benefit. The Kenwood ham radio now sounds like a real good commercial receiver to me.

Construction quality is up to commercial standards as well. Highly recommended.

N2ARB Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2001 21:00 Send this review to a friend
Peace & Quite  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After placing a VHFTN 152-158 on my mobile dual band the only thing I notice is what is now missing - a constant stream of intermod. No noticeable loss in sensitivity has been observed.

The mobile dual band is used daily in a very rual area of the mountian foothills of NW South Carolina. The rig was chosen because it's sensitivity is needed due to the terain and distances involved.

Problem is that I live at the base of a small mountain that is home for every commercial, utility and government repeater and pager site in the area.

So despite living in an area with nothing but cow pastures for 10 miles in all directions it is intermod alley. With the VHFTN 152-158 my dual band mobile maintains it's sensitivity but doesn't pop the first squeak of intermod.

I had considered band pass filters but as a pilot and Civil Air Patrol member I just couldn't see giving up those bands. The notch filter has not degraded the ability to monitor those non-amateur frequencies.

Quality of construction and components is well above average.

Phil Caldwell, N2ARB

K8FRD Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2001 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Product!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had so much intermod using an outside antenna with my IC-T7A, it was almost unusable. Got the PAR 152-158 filter and almost all the strange noises went away.

A real good fix for pager problems!

KE4SKY Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2001 09:22 Send this review to a friend
Simple and Works!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Virginia RACES has evaluated the Par Electronics notch filters in a variety of operational environments, and we recommend them without reservation as standard equipment for field operator "Go Kits." We have used them in the Washington, D.C. area in the worst intermod areas, such as at the Pentagon during the recent recovery operations, with excellent results.

While these simple notches do not replace good engineering practice, careful attention to shielding, grounding, a good set of duplexer and pre-selector cans on your repeater, they are VERY suitable for in-line placement in permanent equipment installations at hospitals, EOCs and other high RF environments.

I am convinced they give you the best "bang for the buck," especially if you have a dual-band radio with single antenna feed, and you want something which doesn't present a high VSWR on UHF and which is virtually transparent on your working frequencies!

73 de KE4SKY
Virginia State RACES Training Officer

W9NSA Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2001 02:42 Send this review to a friend
Does the job it's designed for!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This filter does a beautiful doing what it was designed for -- keeping the intermod out of your transceiver. (It was NOT made to be used as a cavity for a repeater.) This thing does work beautifully. It's also great for double-conversion scanners. It definitely keeps those strong paging signals out of your receiver.