Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Alinco ALR-22T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco ALR-22T
Alinco ALR-22T Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 1980s vintage 25W 2m mobile transceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco ALR-22T.

KC9LFD Rating: 4/5 Aug 9, 2008 13:06 Send this review to a friend
It's a reliable workhorse  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It works. I can't argue with that.

I picked this up at a hamfest because the AF circuits went mad in my htx-202 and I needed a 2m radio. The radio that I got is in need of alignment but other than that, it works great. I get 5x5 signals hitting a local repeater on a 5/8 wave mag mount.

The interface does have alot to be desired, but is rather simple once you play with it. The PL tones are a pain in the butt. They don't list the actual tones, just some numerical identifier to represent the codes. I had to try each one until I found PL code 17 was 123.0hz for my local repeater access.

This radio doesn't have a detachable faceplate. It does feature small tethers for the antenna and microphone which is a unique feature that only this radio has. I don't know if I like it just yet, but it saves from having to pinch your fingers connecting a pl-259 to the so-239 in the heatsink fins.

The rear of the radio is a large heatsink, somewhat surprising for only 25 watts. But hey, the more heat disipation the better. The form factor is also appealing, which would also explain the mic and antenna tethers in the back.

The radio does feature a dual vfo of sorts. You can switch from 1 to 2. There is a "dual" feature which I would assume you can listen to both or it will switch between the two vfo's for activity. I haven't gotten this feature to work yet.

Alinco isn't the best at support, or at least their website isn't. I don't have a manual to go along with this radio yet so I'm figuring it out as a go. Rather simple in the end. Alinco does provide some technical documents such as alignment which is helpful (and rather easy).

Overall: I wouldn't spend much money on a radio this vintange, but it's small and it works great. When I upgrade, I will either turn this radio into a base or high power aprs radio.