Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | VK5JST Aerial Analyzer Help

Reviews Summary for VK5JST Aerial Analyzer
VK5JST Aerial Analyzer Reviews: 36 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $95 +post
Description: This is a design from Australia and put out as a kit by one of the Amateur Clubs there. It covers 1.3 to 31 Mhz
More info: http://www.users.on.net/~endsodds/analsr.htm

You can write your own review of the VK5JST Aerial Analyzer.

G0VAX Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2010 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Works a treat!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This Analyser is a blessing in disguise!!!
Well documented, quality components, easy to build, what more could you ask!
I had been looking about for an analyser, and had a rather blinkered approach thinking that the one to go for was the MFJ unit, as it is very well publicised.
If you want a rather expensive model, well go for it, but if you want one that is more in the average ham's price range, this is the one to go for. You get a sense of "I built it myself" pride with this unit.
The whole package, if assembled with care, will give you a professional looking , rugged piece of test equipment.

ON3PCO Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2010 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Analyser  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I built this aerial/antenna analyser from 'Down Under' succesfully ! Because of the perfect 'building plans', it was not that difficult to get all the components on the right place on the PCB, though you've got to have some soldering experience. The biggest challenge for me was to complete the instrument case without ruining it because I'm not a pro in mechanical stuff :-)

You can see parts of my 'operation analyser' via www.ON3PCO.be then click the 'Project'-button and then select the upper project.

73, Paul - ON3PCO
a Dutchman in Belgium

STAYVERTICAL Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2010 01:49 Send this review to a friend
Great instrument  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Feeling the need for an antenna analyser but not wishing to pay big bucks or suffer poor quality, I decided to try this analyser kit. The kit arrived promptly and contained everything except one small nut for one of the binding posts. I had plenty of spares so this was not an issue. It took me a week to construct this kit, as I checked each resistor, diode and transistor before and after inserting it into the pcb.
I also took the advice in the build instructions to lift several components 1 to 2 millimeters off the pcb to reduce stray capacitance.
The frequency switch gave me the same problems as others with orientation, but I did not drill another locator pin, and I also just modified the knob with a spot of paint, so that it aligned with the flat of the switch.
Also, when it comes to bolting the "hot" red binding post to the pcb, use a thin insulating spacer, otherwise the bolt is too large and will short to the ground plane.
The electronics went together well, but I would not say this was a beginners kit. I also put the frequency switch stop to give six positions, and wound a 16 turn coil around a nail, then removed it and fitted it to the sixth position. This ended up giving a frequency range from 24Mhz to 60Mhz on the last position. Checking, with various resistors, it seemed accurate up to at least 58Mhz and was only a few ohms off at 60Mhz. Perhaps this good result was due to lifting the bridge components off the ground plane. I used a chisel to gently remove the card guides in the lower box, which gave enough room to put my own 10 AA cell battery holder in the bottom. You can use either 10 NIMH cells (each has 1.25V) or 8 Dry Cells (each has 1.5V) with two dummy cells. After the alignment procedure, the kit worked perfectly first time.
I found the most daunting task was drilling the box, cutting out the LCD panel hole and so on. So a great experience with an inexpensive and useful kit, and I know the build quality is good. In addition, the software is freely available, editable and downloadable into the PIC chip, and the alignment procedure is ridiculously simple.
So if you are a beginning kit builder, get an experienced ham to help, otherwise it should present no difficulty.
Also, there are some very good resources on the web outlining construction, and a series of youtube videos (if they still exist) created by user "byronlocal" who shows the construction of his vk5jst analyser.

Now, for the antenna fun.

LA4UOA Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2010 14:35 Send this review to a friend
super  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the analyzer today,David VK2SSH bouhgt the kit and made it for me,it work very very well,and so easy to use,compared to other analyzers,thanks to good friend David i am a happy owner of a super analyzer.If you looking for a good analyzer,i think this is what you looking for.

KE5DYY Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2010 09:36 Send this review to a friend
Good kit!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The kit was appropriately challenging to put together and seemed to work quite well. I have been very pleased.
I have been able to use the analyzer in the lower range of the 50 MHz band as well as HF frequencies.
The kit that I had required some modifications of the PCB because the rotary switch did not have the lug in the correct place. That was a bit difficult but did go together with a little modification of the board.
There are other sources on the internet that suggest that the voltage settings for the trimmer potentiometers be set differently than what the instructions in the kit suggest. Using those slightly lower voltages seemed to help that stability of the frequency quite at bit.
Another drawback to the kit is that you have to remove the entire front of the case and the PCB in order to change out the batteries.
Overall I was very pleased with how it performs and excited by what I learned in building it.

G3XDH Rating: 4/5 Dec 8, 2009 03:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice piece of kit  Time owned: more than 12 months
Finally got round to building it after buying the kit 12 months ago .. (got scared when I examined the package)

Not too difficult a build .. (my first project harder than dead easy) ..

Also used http://www.xs4all.nl/~pa0fri/Diversen/VK5JST/Ant%20analyzereng.htm as a guide to building .. glad I put the recommended fuse/diode combination in!!!!!!!! ..

Only thing to say is because was my first time with I/Cs wasn't aware that the sockets were marked to coincide with the mark on the I/C .. 3 of mine are the wrong way round so have had to mark them with a spot of paint for the possible future event of removing and replacing

get it .. build it ..

ZS1JHG Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2009 01:09 Send this review to a friend
Fun to build project  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a super project highly recommended and will produce an Analyzer that performs as well as the commercial units.Not a kit for first time builders unless you build with a Technically competent Ham.
For full details on the build see www.scribd/ZS1JHG
In summary :
The software is upgradeable and open source.
You can make repairs to your own analyzer
You can recalibrate your analyzer.
Itís a fun to build project producing a vital piece of test equipment at an affordable price.

PA0RCL Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2009 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Great value for money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my VK5JST analyser from a fellow ham who no longer needed it, so my experience is confined to the use of the unit, not the actual building of the kit. For the invested money, it is a pretty accurate instrument because of the digital readout.
According to VK5JST his analyser is a simple tool comparable to a grid dip meter. This is a far too modest statement!

The only comment I have is about the coarse tuning as I find it a litte too coarse, whereas the fine tuning is a litte too fine in my opinion. Perhaps one day I will replace the unit's polyvaricon by a varicap, controlled by a 10-turn pot. Nonetheless, I give this analyser a five without any hesitation.

VK2CU Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2009 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Works Well, Great Value!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine two years ago, and in that time I have tuned several HF antennas. This unit is easy to construct, works very well, and unlike some commercial competitors, you can make sure your quality control exists! Another advantage is that like an old Heathkit, if it breaks, you can fix it! I'm not saying all this just because it comes from a fellow VK, it really is a great product and far cheaper than any equivalent. If you have a licence, you can build this.
73's

Justin VK2CU

G6CPZ Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2009 09:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent kit. Does what it says on the box.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had a lot of kit building, & general constructing experience over the last 30 years, & this rates with the very best. My first thought was PROFESSIONAL. Well designed,with a well thought out pcb (I've seen some with more trackside wiring than topside due to poor design!!!). The whole experience from ordering to building to using was brilliant. It's a v.good piece of test equipment. Most of my thougts have already been written by others, so I will not repeat them.