Reviews Categories | Filters, RF: bandpass, lowpass, highpass, RFI/EMI, etc.. | International Radio (Inrad) IF Filters Help

Reviews Summary for International Radio (Inrad) IF Filters
International Radio (Inrad) IF Filters Reviews: 75 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $115-155
Description: Filters
More info: http://www.inrad.net/

You can write your own review of the International Radio (Inrad) IF Filters.

N2SCL Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2014 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Probably the Best bang for the buck !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
These filters were the least expensive (new) and had the greatest ratings. I purchased (direct from InRad) the 2.0 kHz (#720) and 2.9 kHz (#726) filters for Yaesu radio, and a 250 Hz CW filter (#122) for Icom radio, and all were excellent performers. Highly recommended ! GC

F6DEX Rating: 2/5 Mar 6, 2014 07:57 Send this review to a friend
Mediocre substitution  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a 400 Hz 8830.7 kHz CW 8-pole crystal filter for a TS-120V. The specifications do not indicate clearly that this filter does not fit the IF board and has to be wired with a - long - coax (no place available immediatly near the location). The filter itself may be good but such installation is not optimal and degrades isolation of the filter which increases the "blow-by" effect (depending on how you arrange the coax). Insertion losses are + 8 db( vs stock filter). Disapointed.

NT9M Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2014 18:31 Send this review to a friend
Inrad 92 + TS-2000  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Just worked my second 160 meter contest with the 92 in my TS-2000. I didn't write this review after the first contest because I thought it was the propagation conditions that made the contest such a pleasure. But for the second straight time my receiver was so much better than before that I have to admit that the Inrad 92 has tamed this radio. It was an abomination under crowded contest conditions before. Thanks to Inrad for working with Cliff at AVVID when a problem arose. Great service and a worthwhile add to the TS-2000.

W6LBV Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2014 10:04 Send this review to a friend
"IN RAD WE TRUST"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had long wanted to upgrade my revered Kenwood TS-850 transceiver with an additional IF filter, but the task never quite rose high enough on the revolving priority list. Last December I glanced at the Inrad Web page and noticed a special “New Year’s Day” discount offer on any filter purchase. Then I jumped for it and ordered via their Web page the #95 filter, a 1.8 kHz passband SSB filter for the high IF. It was my first purchase from Inrad.

What a quality company! Every step in the ordering, delivery, and installation process occurred exactly as described. There were no surprises, no disappointments. The promised discount automatically appeared on the order form . The two-day ground delivery service was exact. The product was well packed and arrived in factory-new condition.

Inrad even discovered that they had overcharged me on the sales tax, and on their own initiative
corrected the order and refunded the difference into my credit card account. Only then did I discover their error.

For anyone who is yet to install a filter into a TS-850, here are some notes and corrections. Both the original Kenwood manual and the instructions packed with the filter are vague in a few details, and the two sources occasionally conflict with each other. This is what I found.

1. To reach the bottom PC board where the filters will be installed, it is necessary only to remove the inner portion of the bottom cover, the little “hatch” secured with two bolts and two hinges. It is not necessary to remove the entire bottom cover or to go farther into the radio.

2. The filters fit precisely into the indicated areas of the board and two slots for two filters are available. You can use either of the two filter slots, and it makes no difference which one you use. Likewise, the filter input/output is electrically symmetrical, so end-for-end orientation of the filter on the board is not a consideration.

3. To mechanically mount the new filter, as indicated on the Inrad instructions, you will need to cut off two metal pins sticking up from the board on just one of the two symmetrical “five pin electrical connectors,” These pins provide signal connection into and out of the filter. The equivalent Kenwood OEM filters do not require pin cutting. Do not fear cutting the pins; they have no electrical function in the radio.

4. One position on a little four pole wafer switch located under a hatch in the top cover needs to be flipped “on” in order to activate the installed filter in the IF circuit. For the high IF filters, switch positions 3 and 4 activate the two filter slots. Try both positions, sequentially. One of the two positions will work, and it’s hard to predict which one that is.

5. The Inrad instructions call for a full reset of the 850's on-board microprocessor after the new filter is installed. The Kenwood manual does not call for it. I did the full reset.

The filter has worked exactly as expected. I measured the effective filter passband using a synthesized, calibrated signal generator and the transceiver as a null detector, and found it to be 1.7 kHz at the 6 dB points. That’s within measurement error. I did not measure the installed filter for its specified insertion loss. Operationally, the filter makes a large improvement in SSB reception when the bands are crowded.

It isn’t often when the acquisition of a new piece of hardware goes perfectly from end to end. Inrad is indeed a quality company!

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2013 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Help for old rigs  Time owned: more than 12 months
I remember many many years ago plopping a 2.1 KHz SSB filter into an FT-101 I had, and getting much better selectivity. Was something like a Fox Tango or such? I got another FT a few years ago and popped a 2.1 INRAD in it. So much tighter on receive but not too narrow sounding like maybe a 1.8 would be. A good way to put some life and performance back in a vintage rig.

W5LZ Rating: 4/5 Dec 16, 2013 09:03 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used Inrad filters for some time in several different radios. They do exactly what they claim to do, but do not 'do' miracles. I've found that they are certainly better than the typical manufacturer's filter.
Inrad used to also make a few 'doo-dads' for particular radios that would really slow the tuning dial's speed, they were very nice. (That should date me, it's been a while back.)I would recommend them for most radios.
- Paul

K4DXY Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2013 01:55 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful AM filter or Yaesu!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There was NO way I was going to pay $140.00 + for a used Yaesu AM filter for my FT-840! A friend recommended that I look into the #1210 6000 Hz AM 8215 kHz 8-pole crystal filter from Inrad. Got it NEW for $136.95 shipped in about 3 days to my door! WOW - I can actually listen to Am now without pulling my hair out! Sounds like as million bucks now, as many people know - Yaesu made the FT-840 without any AM filter, the rig uses the stock 2.8 SSB filter for AM and of course sounds like Charlie Brown's teachers without the optional, rare, and expensive USED filter! At my request, Inrad even installed it on a plug-in board for me and was a perfect fit for the rig! I think the filter will work for several other radios, just email them and ask, great customer service, very happy, SWL is fun again!

WA1RKT Rating: 4/5 Jun 26, 2013 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Could use an installation warning  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased a 1.8KHz 8.83 MHz filter for my Kenwood TS-950SDX. Seems to work OK but a couple of caveats about the installation that it would have been good if I could have been warned about ahead of time...

1. You have to cut two of the five pins off of one of the filter connectors on the TS-950SDX IF board, in order for the filter to fit. Those are ground pins that Inrad says are not needed or used, even for the Kenwood filters; still it would have been good to get a prior warning about this before purchase.

2. If you install the filter so that the writing on the label on top is the same direction as the Kenwood filters, it will interfere with the bottom shield of the TS-950SDX DSP unit and you will not be able to reinstall the radio's bottom cover. You have to install the filter "upside down" so that the label is upside down as compared with the labels on the Kenwood filters. The filters are bidirectional so it doesn't matter which way you install them, but a prior warning would have been nice so I didn't cut the pins off the wrong filter connector on the IF board (see (1) above).

N2JTX Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2013 05:19 Send this review to a friend
Noticeable Improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up an INRAD #720 filter on New Years Day in order to get their one day $20.13 off discount. The filter installed easily in my FT-897D and activating it through multi-function row "MFn" is easy. With the filter engaged, there is a noticeable drop in background noise and a slight reduction in fidelity which is to be expected going from the stock 2.7kHz filter to 2.0kHz. I have noticed that tuning is a bit tighter due to the narrower passband. As of this time, I have not had a chance to test the filter on a crowded band to see how adjacent signal rejection is working. That will probably have to wait until either the ARRL DX SSB or CQ WPX contests in March. I also need to test menu option 086 to see what difference the filter makes on my transmit signal. So far, I have not had a chance to setup a QSO with someone to do a comparison.

WP4MPV Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2012 21:56 Send this review to a friend
INRAD # 726 - FT-857D  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Acabo de instalar el filtro Inrad #726 en mi FT-857d con la bocina SP-8. Estoy 100% Satisfecho y lo recomiendo. Realmente funciona aumentando significativamente la calidad del audio tanto en RX como en TX.