Reviews Categories | Filters, RF: bandpass, lowpass, highpass, RFI/EMI, etc.. | International Radio (Inrad) IF Filters Help

Reviews Summary for International Radio (Inrad) IF Filters
International Radio (Inrad) IF Filters Reviews: 75 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $115-155
Description: Filters
More info: http://www.inrad.net/

You can write your own review of the International Radio (Inrad) IF Filters.

G8ITB Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2007 13:13 Send this review to a friend
SSB Filter for FT-817ND  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A must have item for portable work with 'so-so' antennas. Cleans up the receive bandpass excellently - and narrows the transmit audio path. I used the 2.1 KHz filter - it works very well for me and friends who have borrowed the rig (It is currently running as EA6/G1BUO)for holidays. The price is right for UK amateurs at the moment - but remember taxes and mail handling charges on delivery. I am very pleased with the results gained using this filter and can recommend its use in Yaesu rigs in mediocre operating conditions.

Richard Perzyna, G8ITB.

W5TD Rating: 4/5 Jun 3, 2007 22:23 Send this review to a friend
Overall good, Kenwood takes a modification  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the same experience with the INRAD 400hz CW filter as the previous reviewer did with his SSB filter. I bought one used and quickly noticed that it would not fit in my Kenwood TS690SAT. As he stated, the one jack didn't even have the same number of pins. A quick call to INRAD brought an immediate email showing which pins to cut. Now I wasn't sure I wanted to go into my 690 and start cutting things that would be permanent, and it looked like the filter wouldn't fit because another variable cap might be in the way.

Finally a day later I worked up enough courage to try the modification-quite simple and the filter does fit ok. My guess is that they had to go with the 3 pin jack because the filter is larger than the Kenwood filter and a 5 pin jack wouldn't have fit.

Overall the performance of the 400hz filter is outstanding. Sounds much better than the YK88C-1 500hz Kenwood filter it replaced. No complaints at all on filter performance, but I still don't like the idea of having to go into a rig and doing an irreversible modification, so I must give INRAD a 4 rating-really closer to a 4.25 or so.

AF6BV Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2007 14:26 Send this review to a friend
A worthwhile upgrade  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received the filter in two days, well-packed, with a catalog and a brief "addendum" type installation leaf.

Radio is a Kenwood TS-570S and the filter was Inrad's 1.8Khz wide 8.83 Mhz YK-95 filter, which is a custom PC board design.

Pulled an all nighter listening mostly on 40, which was propagating nicely into VK land, and jammed full of booming Asia/Pacific broadcast stations by and after 1000UT.

Under these adverse conditions, it didn't take long at all to appreciate the ear-saving and signal-isolating value of Inrad's sharp-skirted narrow filter, a good IF shift capability, and Kenwood's excellent DSP automatic "beat cancel" feature. Of course, the filter couldn't do anything for one hapless QSO 2 Khz away from a sudden powerhouse broadcast sign-on -- after all, their sidebands do overlap thanks to the broadcast signal's wider bandwidth -- but with some fiddling I was able to isolate enough to continue to make out the stronger signals through the QRM. It was headache inducing, but the point is given the TS-570 doesn't have defeatable AGC, it was possible with the Inrad filter, but would have been utterly impossible without it.

I'm giving it a '5' because I'm very impressed with the performance of the filter so far. I doubt my opinion will change when the improvement is so obvious.

If you have a TS-570 and want a narrow IF filter, this one's worth a look.

There is one irritating factor. There are two headers in the TS-570D with five pins each, that mate to two 5 pin sockets in the standard Kenwood filters. The YK-95 filter has one 3 pin socket, and one 5 pin socket. The installation leaf tells you to cut off two of the pins on the radio's header.

I wasn't particularly impressed by this requirement, but as the enclosed addendum says, the pins are just redundant ground pins not required even for Kenwood's stock filter. So, the obvious cautions apply. Be certain which two pins to cut off, and double check with the filter when it's properly oriented for insertion. Then check again :) Make sure power is off, etc.

Anyways, I had zero problems with the install. It's just a bit nerve-wracking to whack two pins off the inside of my radio when this filter could ave simply had the right mating socket pin.

If Kenwood sold me this filter and asked me to cut off pins inside the radio as part of the installation procedure, I'd be justifiably upset at the incomplete engineering. Especially since this operation isn't easily reversed.

However, I can't ding Inrad for this because they make products for a very wide range of radios from different manufacturers. And we are hams after all. So instead of marking them down for this, I'll be grateful all i needed was a pair of diagonal cutters instead of a soldering iron and jumper wires. :)

My advice is simply to be sure to double-confirm which two pins before snipping. The filter screws mandate one and only one position for the add-on filter, and the extra pins are obvious when you see the sockets with a trial line-up. And, of course, be sure power's off and grasp the pin so it doesn't fly.

No regrets. This filter is a worthwhile upgrade to your radio for handling tougher receive conditions, in my opinion. If anything, the product is too cheap for what you get.

VE3NFK Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2007 16:38 Send this review to a friend
super service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The new owners of International continue the excellent service and support - my new 10 mhz filter for TS-2000 have made a nice improvement to both SSB and some digital modes.
Thanks guys...

73 John VE3NFK

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2007 16:22 Send this review to a friend
Superb!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have stacked Inrad filters in my Kenwood TS-850s. With my external Datong filter, I am ready to put this reciever up against ANY of the new stuff. Bring it on, if you dare!! (Prepare to be embarrassed.)

KQ9J Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2007 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered the 2.1 khz SSB filter for my trusty TS-530SP. Filter came in two days.Greatly improved selectivity over the stock 2.4 khz filter without much effect on the audio quality. Together with the IF-shift function on the radio I can get rid of almost any adjacent qrm without much effect on the sound of the desired signal.

VE2CBW Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2007 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Wow...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed the 400 Hz CW filter in my TS-570. Man Oh Man! How did I ever do without it?

Excellent product, installs super easily and customer support is A1!

Thanks Inrad!

K8QV Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2007 19:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Inrad 250 Hz CW filter just turned my 703 into the best CW receiver I've used. Night and day difference.

Cheaper than original manufacturer's offerings, fast service, and the best thing you can do for your receiver (and your ears).

This is my second filter from this company, and I will continue to buy Inrad in the future. Perfect score from me on this product.

W4MY Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2007 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Worth the extra cost  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the 250 Hz CW filters for both IF's in my new (to me) FT-1000MP. Wow! Can you say brick wall? I also installed the roofing filter and can't wait for my first contest with it! Not everybody needs this kind of performance, but it is extremely nice.

K9MQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2006 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Good Price, Easy Installation, Excellent Support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought a Inrad Roofing Filter and 1.8khz 2nd IF SSB filter from my FT1000MP Field. The filters have been fantastic. Being in a antenna restricted area, I am forced with less than optimal antennas, which some of them being in close proximity to RFI generators in the house. The 1.8khz filter helps out alot, though sometimes can be a little two high pitched for my liking. For these situations, I still use my Autek QF-1A to help bring the pitch down to my liking. I plan on getting another 1.8khz filter for the 3rd IF. I had a delivery issue with USPS (appears that they lost my package in transit) and had to contact Inrad Customer Service. They were top notch with getting the issue resolved. Great Product and Great Company to deal with. Thank you George, Georgia, and Laurie