Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Gamma Research HPS-1A Help

Reviews Summary for Gamma Research HPS-1A
Gamma Research HPS-1A Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: The HPS-1a is capable of supplying full power to any 12 volt, 100 watt class transceiver in normal Voice SSB or Morse CW modes. RTTY, AM, and FM modes should be limited to about 35 watts.

Input Voltage = 100-240 VAC, 50-60 Hz, 2 Amps maximum.

Output Voltage = 13.5 VDC
Output Current = 5 Amps Continuous., 22 Amps @ .25 duty/sec.

Dimensions: 3.37" x 1.55" x 5.25"

Weight: 1.25 lbs.
More info: http://www.gammaresearch.net/hps-1a.html

You can write your own review of the Gamma Research HPS-1A.

N2EHG Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2008 05:27 Send this review to a friend
great supply long term  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my unit for quite some time, after reading such great reviews and really just interested that such a small unit can do the job that the larger ones typically do , i had to try it.

Got it for when i travel and also sometimes set up a rig in say my livingroom and don't want a large clunky supply

The supply has always been great, it's quite both rf wise and to the ear it works like a charm nice to see a new type supply come out and work so well

goodluck
N2EHG

W9AC Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2008 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Portable Supply  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Gamma supply for use during portable operations with my Elecraft K3 transceiver. Overall build quality is excellent.

I have added a CORCOM IEC filter on the AC line cord in a pigtail configuration. The Gamma supply simply lacks the space necessary to install an IEC receptacle. Also, not knowing whether or not the Gamma is protected against over-voltage, I installed a Littelfuse 1.5KE15A 15-volt transient voltage suppressor reverse-biased across the DC output connector.

The Gamma supply is indeed capable of powering a rig at the 100-watt level, even on CW down to 10 WPM. Below that, the "dah" time on extended characters like "0," become too much for the supply to re-energize its capacitor bank in between transmissions.

I have not tried SSB, but I suspect that the Gamma supply would work equally well. However, since the supply rail voltage changes with duty-cycle, the SSB non-linearities may result when using too much voice processing.

The Gamma supply remains cool to the touch most of the time, but gets slightly warm when running a transmitter at 100W with high duty cycle.

W4KPA Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2008 15:31 Send this review to a friend
It's a keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got mine to power a Yaesu FT-817 while I was traveling. It handles that, of course, with one hand tied behind its back. The small size and ability to handle 110 or 220 AC were the main selling points. But, it also will power my IC-706 and my Pro-III on SSB. It's a great addition to the shack.

KC5SEB Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2008 20:49 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the coolest power supply I have ever seen. I use this with my MARS Jump kit.
It will only handle about 60 watts on MT-63 with the FT-857D but thats about all you need in that mode anyway.
I recommend this to anyone who has to travel light.
We need to get the guy who builds these to start looking at other things to downsize.

K0FTC Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2008 01:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent small/light PS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the HPS-1a for about a month now. I use it to power an IC-7000. I operate mostly CW, and it has powered the rig fine from 50 to 100 watts. I've also used it RTTY, PSK, (I reduced power out on these modes) and SSB just fine. It runs with a very quiet fan, and I have not noticed any RF noise in the radio. Very light wt. and it is a very small package and easy to pack. I am considering ordering a second unit to power a K3 that I have on order now.

KT5X Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2007 11:40 Send this review to a friend
just too cool  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Was astonished by the size and weight of this thing. It replaces an Astron 35 amp linear supply. I can not find a switcher noise in my radio, and in addition, for what ever reason, the adjacent computer monitor puts less noise in my radio when using this PS than the Astron.

I did have a problem with it. When charging I got a whine in the headfones. I was tipped off that a few of them got out with the value of 2000 ohms for R25, when it should be 2700 ohms. After making that change, the whine is gone, and the PS is perfect.

VK5JJJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2007 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great unit for DX travelling. I can suggest three improvements.

Firstly replace the power lead with a small female IEC (Computer) connector on a short lead (it won't fit in the box). That way we can use commonly available (cheap) PC leads with the mains plug for the relevant country.

Second suggestion replace the molex plug with an anderson powerpole.

Third suggestion - is there room for an externally accessible fuse for the 12V line?

73 de Chris VK5JJJ

NV7E Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2007 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Best Small Power Supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is by far the lightest and smallest power supply I have seen that can support a 100 Watt transceiver. It is very reliable. It is not noisy. I use it with the Yaesu FT-857D. There is no problem with overheating. It automatically switches from 117 vac to 220 vac. I have made an adaptor from the 13.5 vdc output connector to the Anderson Powerpole system. I also made an adaptor from the Anderson system to charge my Kenwood D7A(G) handheld, so I don't have to carry the charger.

ZS6SIG

KQ0C Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2007 20:33 Send this review to a friend
Yep, It Works  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I can't find any way in which this little power supply works any less well than my several big ones. I bought it to power an IC 703, and ended up letting it power a 756 Pro III.

K7AGE Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2007 11:21 Send this review to a friend
One year later  Time owned: more than 12 months
I thought I would add to the postings. The power supply has worked fine since last year.

The fan became very noisy. I removed the fan and pealed off the label on the fan and gave it a dab of WD40. This fixed the problem, but I wish the fan was quieter. If the power supply is sitting on the table in front of you, you will hear it.

I would buy another and I recommend it to anyone needing a small light weight power supply for portable use. Perfect for FT-817 too.

Randy