Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Gamma Research HPS-1A Help

Reviews Summary for Gamma Research HPS-1A
Gamma Research HPS-1A Reviews: 39 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: The HPS-1a is capable of supplying full power to any 12 volt, 100 watt class transceiver in normal Voice SSB or Morse CW modes. RTTY, AM, and FM modes should be limited to about 35 watts.

Input Voltage = 100-240 VAC, 50-60 Hz, 2 Amps maximum.

Output Voltage = 13.5 VDC
Output Current = 5 Amps Continuous., 22 Amps @ .25 duty/sec.

Dimensions: 3.37" x 1.55" x 5.25"

Weight: 1.25 lbs.
More info: http://www.gammaresearch.net/hps-1a.html

You can write your own review of the Gamma Research HPS-1A.

VK5JJJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2007 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great unit for DX travelling. I can suggest three improvements.

Firstly replace the power lead with a small female IEC (Computer) connector on a short lead (it won't fit in the box). That way we can use commonly available (cheap) PC leads with the mains plug for the relevant country.

Second suggestion replace the molex plug with an anderson powerpole.

Third suggestion - is there room for an externally accessible fuse for the 12V line?

73 de Chris VK5JJJ

NV7E Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2007 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Best Small Power Supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is by far the lightest and smallest power supply I have seen that can support a 100 Watt transceiver. It is very reliable. It is not noisy. I use it with the Yaesu FT-857D. There is no problem with overheating. It automatically switches from 117 vac to 220 vac. I have made an adaptor from the 13.5 vdc output connector to the Anderson Powerpole system. I also made an adaptor from the Anderson system to charge my Kenwood D7A(G) handheld, so I don't have to carry the charger.

ZS6SIG

KQ0C Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2007 20:33 Send this review to a friend
Yep, It Works  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I can't find any way in which this little power supply works any less well than my several big ones. I bought it to power an IC 703, and ended up letting it power a 756 Pro III.

K7AGE Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2007 11:21 Send this review to a friend
One year later  Time owned: more than 12 months
I thought I would add to the postings. The power supply has worked fine since last year.

The fan became very noisy. I removed the fan and pealed off the label on the fan and gave it a dab of WD40. This fixed the problem, but I wish the fan was quieter. If the power supply is sitting on the table in front of you, you will hear it.

I would buy another and I recommend it to anyone needing a small light weight power supply for portable use. Perfect for FT-817 too.

Randy
K7AGE

N1GXC Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2007 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Simply Amazing !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At 1-1/4 pounds this is just a portable or DXpedition dream. It meets all their claims for power and quality. All I added was a powerpole connector. I'm using it with both the IC-706MKIIG/LDG Z-100 and IC-7000/LDG AT-7000. Full output on SSB & CW. No problemo.

Dan WZ1P

RW3AH Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2007 08:19 Send this review to a friend
very nice PS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am happy owner of very small but very powerful PS "HPS-1A". I would like to say THANK YOU to Fred K3GQ for very nice product. Unfortunately USPS was delivered parcel for 1 month to Europe, but finally and fortunately I got it.

N9QGU Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2007 19:39 Send this review to a friend
I Year Later  Time owned: more than 12 months
I took this to St. Martin for an ocean side mini-dx trip. It was used to power an Icom 706MKIIG. I had it conected to the local 220 power grid. The 706 was putting out 100 watts SSB. I made 1011 contacts over 14 days. The power supply performed flawlessly.

What more is there to say?

K6USN Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2007 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow up review a year down the road.

I've taken this little p/s all around the South Pacific, and used it on 110 and 220V grids to power my IC 7000 as well as my FT 817. It runs cool and quietly. I do use surge protectors when
in 'developing countries' as line voltage is often suspect. Performance: flawless!

If I could, I'd give this a "6" !

What more is there to say?

Allen
K6USN (ZK1USN)

K3GK Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2007 06:02 Send this review to a friend
Just received  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a little jewel! I hope Gamma stays with the molex DC connector. Anderson power poles can easily be added, and Gamma Research provides a connector with the unit, which is rugged and similar to the connectors on my rigs. I followed the soldering instructions for the connector provided on the back of the instructions sheet.

WD0JIM Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2006 07:10 Send this review to a friend
Works Well for SSB @100 Watts  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Amazing how small this power supply is. No problem running my Icom 706 MKIIG at full power on SSB. Wish the power supply had Anderson Power Pole connectors on it.