Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Moonraker EVX4000 Help

Reviews Summary for Moonraker EVX4000
Moonraker EVX4000 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $265
Description: 4 band HF vertical: 10, 15, 20 & 40m
Length: 6.5m
Gain: 3.5dbi
More info: http://www.moonrakerukltd.com/shop.php?cat_select=12

You can write your own review of the Moonraker EVX4000.

M0DCD Rating: 4/5 Jan 7, 2009 05:34 Send this review to a friend
Servicing  Time owned: more than 12 months
After being exposed to the WX in Northern England, it received the following attention:
Water was getting into the 20m trap from the inside, so self-amalg tape was put on the joints above it in an attempt to stop this but what really cured it was the plug of neutral cure silicone.
The connection between the feed and the radiator also became a bit intermittant - found it and tightened it after some odd effects on tuning.
The sealing ring over the feed perished, good old neutral cure to the rescue again.
Restored to its full "I'm happy with it" status.

RFDANNY Rating: 1/5 Aug 29, 2008 05:38 Send this review to a friend
There are Better Options  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna uses low bid poor quality components throughout. It is very hard to tune, and when tuned it looses alignment everytime the wind blows. Even when it is working, I get terrible reports from everywhere. It's coming down and being replaced this fall.

M0DCD Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2007 06:01 Send this review to a friend
Surprised  Time owned: more than 12 months
Setting up the antenna was not too difficult but you do need 2 of you to do it. Tuning on 10m was a bit flat but the other bands tuned nicely.
Tuned radial kit definitely worth the money, you may not be able to run QRO through it, but get it in the air and you don't need it.
Tube joints need self amalgy tape on them or you'll get water in the traps which does strange things to the tuning.
Having a postage stamp garden, I needed something to work HF as last QTH had large rear lot, and this one delivered. Putting this up at 15ft it really does well, I can't handle the balance to put it up if I had a longer mast on the bottom.

G7IZR Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2006 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased with it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first multi-band vertical, but I can at least compare it to mono-banders, long wires and full and half size G5RV's.

In summary, the antenna performs slightly better than my Cushcraft AR10 on 10m. The antenna is a 5/8 wave on 10m. On 15, 20 and 40 it outperforms any of my wire antennas.

Installation was easy. The manufacturer recommends mounting it at ground level to tune it. I purchased the optional radial kit for 10/15/20/40m and tuning is a case of getting the antenna as near resonant as possible on 40m with non of the radials attached, just by adjusting the top section. When the VSWR is as low as possible, attach the radials and then tune them by sliding the tips in or out and locking them when done. After 40, progress to 20 then 15 and 10.

On the ground, I managed to get 40, 20 and 15 tuned in to around 1.1:1 in the centre of the bands, but I was struggling with 10 - I couldn't get it lower than around 1.7:1. I raised the antenna anyway to it's final position and the SWR on 10 dropped right down but the SWR on 40 went up a little. I was able to retune the 40m radial to bring it back down.

Like I said, this was my first multi-band vertical, but it was cheaper than most of the other leading manufacturers and it performs as well as I could have expected. I would happily buy another one and I just wish I could have afforded the model that covered 80 (although this will tune down to 80 on my auto ATU).