Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | ICOM AT-500 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM AT-500
ICOM  AT-500 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $Check at: http://www.aade.com/h
Description: medium power automatic ATU
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/index2.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM AT-500.

KE6TDT Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2014 17:38 Send this review to a friend
Very impressive even with a vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very impressive tuner. I was lucky enough to find this IC-AT500 tuner along with the matching ICOM solid state IC-2KL amplifier, all driven by an ICOM non-pro 746. What a great combination this turned out to be.

It auto switches from band to band quickly and easily or can switch manually if not using ICOM equipment.

I currently use an HF6Vx vertical antenna and this tunes in all the HF bands automatically. It's really a joy to use when just cruising the different bands. I plan on designing a multi-band inverted V eventually and I am quite confident it will tune that across the spectrum as well.

What is unique is the appearance of this tuner could pass for one of today's newer type amplifiers.

If I could have given this a higher rating, I would have.

VK2HMC Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2012 15:53 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great all rounder medium power HF automatic Tuner. Kind of rare, especially in Australia but well worth the effort to get hold of.

There are 4 (optionally 5) antenna connections.
If you have just one antenna for all bands you can use "T" connectors to link the 4 outputs if you do not want to open up the tuner and change the link as per icom instructions.

I have personally found the AT-500 handles everything my sometimes HAM fist throws at it without blowing up. I also have to mention that it is fully automatic with most ICOM rigs but manual is available. Manual is easy to tune for each band by using 2x LED and 2x POTS. once preset, one just turns the knob on the front for what ever band you need.

All in all a great tuner, and a positive experience.

KC4EO Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2008 09:51 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the AT-500 to go with my IC-2KL amplifier from Burghardt Radio. The tuner is being used with the amplifier and an ICOM 746PRO radio. I think the combination of the IC-2KL and AT-500 with an ICOM radio is great, auto band switching, no tuning, everything works together. Visit W2ENY website for obsolete cables that will enable you to fully utilize the tuner and or amplifier.

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2007 23:06 Send this review to a friend
perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
have the at 500 and the ic2kl great combo

UA1OSM Rating: 4/5 May 7, 2007 07:04 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful for it' s time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got AT-500 from USA in 1993. DOA thing.
Bands did not change, optocoupler went to the ghost. I replaced it. Using with IC-751 (fully) and later with IC-765 (just as antennae switch) I cud state:

Tuner works quite well for it' s class of preset type tuner. Preset works stable only till 21-24 MHz. Tuner MAY miss to complete tuning of a known antenna above 24 MHz. Not always, but it happens.
So I concluded the device cannot be as rock relable as IC-765 it' s own inner tuner. The device AT-500 is rather slow. 765 tuner is lightning-fast. You can start speak into mike using a new antenna.
765 tuner tunes on SSB peaks in 3-5 seconds. It is great. AT-500 cannot do it - just to it' s nature.

N8RT Rating: 3/5 Dec 23, 2005 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Beware of burnt band switch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This tuner was very good when new, however as it aged with use, problems have developed ,because of poor antennas and too much power burning out the contacts of the bandswitch, rendering certain bands to become untunable or erratic!
The bad news is that Icom no longer sells the Bandswitch! Buyer beware! Make sure you test the tuner on all bands before a purchase!

LU5DDX Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2003 11:52 Send this review to a friend
exelente  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
realmente no conocia este tuner pero al comprarlo me lleve realmente una grata sorpresa.
rapido-exacto-facil de usar -lindo aspecto-exelente construccion -sintoniza sin problema una antena g5rv en cualquier banda modificando el conector de salida para accionar solo una antena
de la llave selectora ,realmente si ve uno comprelo y si no aviseme hi hi ..jorge roig

K4PDM Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2001 06:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent accessory  Time owned: more than 12 months
The AT-500 amazed me with its matching ability, in many cases beyond its rated SWR range. I used it with an external balun, 370 foot zepp fed with ladderline, and a 400 watt amp. Imagine using 400 watts into a zepp with an autotuner! The AT-500 made this possible, and the built-in automatic antenna switch was icing on the cake. Highly recommended!

KG4LRU Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2001 06:47 Send this review to a friend
Simple and Fast (no fuss tunning )  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This tuner when coupled with Icom Radio has been great auto tunes in seconds and when coupled with their 2 KL amp is makes for a winning combonation. I use it on 42 foot dipole with no problems can be switched to manual mode for non Icom radios very compact self contained power supply and can be manual adjusted to bring swr down for those out band contacts that you need too make. They never break, I payed 300.00 and seen good ones for 255. /400 for like new in the box unit.

DK3QN Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2000 11:04 Send this review to a friend
fast automatic ATU  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm using my AT-500 for over 7 years now. Bought it second hand for about US $ 350. The selling price for a new unit was around US $ 650 in DL-land some years ago.

General:

This is a fabulous tuning unit. Because it is fast, as tuning can be preset to the individual antenna(s) or - if not preset - tunes typically within a few seconds. All it needs to tune
an antenna from scratch is providing some 20 to 30 watts of output (minimum).
You can perform the tuning method even by whistling into the mike or sending a few
dots or dashes with your keyer. After 3 or 4 seconds you are set.

Tuning limitations:

There might be some cases where the individual TRX initially sees an high SWR and folds back
the power to a few watts only, thus the AT-500 may not get enough power to start the automatic
tuning process. This situation very much depends on the behaviour of your TRX under high SWR, especially when the antenna(s) are not pretuned.
I am using a shortened trap dipole for 80, 40 and 30 meters (2x14m long). My worst case tuning scenario is on 80m. Here, the resonant frequency is at 3.660 MHz (European 80M band!). Due to the limited length of the dipole on 80m, the SWR climbs pretty rapidly towards the upper and lower segments of the band. The AT-500 allows me to use most of the CW portion of 80m
(i.e. between 3.6 and 3.5 MHz) providing a resonable SWR to my TRX/amplifier. In that portion of 80m I am faced with an SWR of between 1:3 and 1:8 which the AT-500 brings down to an acceptable SWR for my set-up. However, I do NOT recommend to run high power from an amplifier into the AT-500 at those SWR levels!

Interfacing with an TRX.

This ATU can be used with almost any kind of TX/TRX. It sports a manual band selector on the front panel for usage with non-Icom Rigs. Together with (some) Icom Rigs there is a means of controlling the bands from the Icom Transceiver. This requires a cable interlink to the tuner and then you just need to select the 'AUTO' position on the AT-500 band select and leave it there
for the rest of your (Icom) life.

Use with an amplifier:

I use this AT-500 together with my Yaesu FL-7000 amplifier, as the built-in tuner of the Yaesu amp is too lazy for me to generate the desired value-add. The spec says that the AT-500 can handle up to 1 KW PEP. I have not particularily tried that out. However, since years it handles the 500 to 700 watts PEP provided by the FL-7000 with ease. So it should work nicely together with any transistorised amplifier in that power class, like an Ameritron AL-600 etc.

Availability:

To my knowledge Icom has stopped production of the unit some years ago, which is a real pity.
So the only way of getting one nowadays is by second hand. Check it out before buying it.

Klaus, DK3QN