Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | KLM PA 10-160BL Help

Reviews Summary for KLM PA 10-160BL
KLM PA 10-160BL Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $239.00
Description: 2m linear amplifier, 10W in, 160W out, without preamp

You can write your own review of the KLM PA 10-160BL.

K7UA Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2013 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Fine amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these around 1980 to use with my new 2M SSB radio. I used it on 2M FM simplex, on distant repeaters and on 2M up and 10M down Oscar contacts. It worked great! It ended up in one of my cars and was a fantastic mobile amp. I had its little brother the 10-70 version in my other car. They both ran trouble free for many years. Too bad that KLM is no longer around. They would be better than some of the later brick amps.

W9OS Rating: 3/5 Aug 27, 2012 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Purchased DOA, Just a dirty relay..   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up the little brother to this amp. The KLM 45PA-160BL 45 in gives 160 out.
Got it home from the fest and it didn't work.
Was drawing 18 amps per spec but no more power out than the icom 228.40 watt
Started to ohm out everything.. Found the TR relay has 13 ohms of crud on it..
Cleaned up the relay and all is fine..
Watch out for dirty relays on these 75 generation amps

AE5VG Rating: 4/5 Jan 29, 2012 22:32 Send this review to a friend
Circuit Diagrams for 10-160BL and 10-140B models  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the 10-140B model on a ham fest and compared it with the more popular 10-160BL model. Both are almost identical. The 10-140B appears to be the predecessor of the "L" version. From the circuit diagram I cannot see that the "L" version adds significant linearity over the non-L version. The L appears to be more a marketing label for the later line of amps to underline that they are more linear than perhaps competitor products.

You can find circuit diagrams here.

K5ADF Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2010 15:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the PA 15-160BL version that I bought back in the late 70's or so. I use it mainly for SSB on 144.200. It has always performed well and I would not part with it for anything. It runs cool, makes no noise and uses power only when it senses a RF signal present. I consistently get 160 watts out of it. I use a IC821 exciter so I have to turn its output power down which is good for the radio. If you need a moderate power amp for 2M SSB or even FM and find one in good condition, buy it. I agree with the others that it is too bad KLM is no longer with us.

WB6CSH Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2010 19:54 Send this review to a friend
powerful!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this VHF 2 meter amp. mostly when I was in San Diego, Calif. Mission Valley and wanted to talk to buddy hams in the Los Angeles area via a repeater on Mount Santiago, in Orange County. This amp. did the trick, despite Mission Valley being in a canyon (RF hole)! I was using a 5/8 (five-eighths) wave vehicle antenna, too!

When I initially purchased this amp.(1975) it was the 10-140B version (I think), which was NOT the linear version. I took it back to Wescom in No. SD County, and they were kind enough to exchange it for the "BL" model - plus a few added dollars.

It is a well-designed amp. (I have had it open to look at the strip-line circuitry). If you find one, I would suggest buying it, at a fair price, of course. The fair price depends upon circumstances. If you know the seller, then 50% of the current 100-160 watt linear pricing would be fair, IMHO. If at a flea market, I might pass on the purchase, unless it's so cheap ($5-10) as to be irrelevant if it is a loss.

Mine presently is not working because of a coupling cap. that came loose (how'd that happen?) while doing one of my many moves in the past 20 years.

Best regards,

Michael wb6csh

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2009 16:18 Send this review to a friend
GREAT & SIMPLE!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This amp is GREAT & so simple to operate.It pulls NO VOLTAGE until it senses RF NOT even the LED will light so you can leave it on all of the time.It has only one toggle switch & one LED & it works SSB,FM,AM,or CW without the need for a mode switch.The relay does NOT chatter in any mode like many amps on the market today.I wish it had a preamp but it does not.I get 180 watts out on 144.200 in either SSB or FM mode with 15 watts of drive & better than the rated 160 watts over the entire band.Shame these are no longer made but if you can find one buy it & you will NOT be sorry.

Clayton
W4KVW

2E1MPC Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2007 01:47 Send this review to a friend
great linear ,brick>  Time owned: more than 12 months
i bought this second hand for 70 quid a while back, with a sticky relay, after getting a new relay from gaurdian electronics in LA it works just fine ,,,,any way for ten watts in you get the 160 out with no fade at all , but with less than 5 watts the amp wont kick , I wonder if they are all like this ,as i dont have a spec sheet for this amp i would like any feedback you can give me ,,,,, the power on 144 megs is better than on on 145 with an output of nearly 200 with ten in , Its well wort a look if one comes up buy it , its bullet proof , michael_clewes@yaho.co.uk