Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Clear Speech Noise Reduction Speaker by Am-Com Help

Reviews Summary for Clear Speech Noise Reduction Speaker by Am-Com
Clear Speech Noise Reduction Speaker by Am-Com Reviews: 98 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $179.95
Description: A quality speaker with built-in DSP noise reduction.
NOTE: Will now be produced by Heil Sound:
More info: http://www.amcominc.com/productdetail.cfm?Prod_ID=16

You can write your own review of the Clear Speech Noise Reduction Speaker by Am-Com.

KA7HQP Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2013 19:07 Send this review to a friend
Great for 160 Meters LSB  Time owned: more than 12 months
I reguarly use this speaker on 160 meters LSB and would not want to be without it. It does a very good job of reducing the QRN to the point that I can use the wider filter settings on My Kenwood TS-440SAT and voices sound more natural. The output of this speker is sent to My Hammarlund 6 X 9 external Speaker and contacts sound like they are in the room. It automatically nulls out constant carriers so if someone tunes up on frequency, thats not a problem either. 73 Dennis KA7HQP

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2012 09:48 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME Speaker! {:>)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This speaker is a BIG PLUS to eliminate white noise,static,or hiss from your receive audio.Just flip the switch ON & 90% or more of these kind of noises are GONE without taking away the incoming voice audio that you are listening for.I have owned several of the GAP "HEAR IT" speakers & the GAP "HEAR IT" inline module & this speaker works just as good but does NOT have any adjustments as does the GAP models.I was NOT sure when I purchased this speaker USED that it was a DSP speaker because it does NOT say,"DSP" on it just "DIGITAL" & I was VERY "HAPPY" when I plugged it in & turned it on! {:>) The CLEAR SPEECH speaker is LOUDER than the GAP speakers also if using either in a mobile setup.I have NOT tried the NEWER models made by HEIL & others but this one is a "WINNER" & will be staying here for a LONG LONG time!For the $10 I paid for it it was more like I "STOLE" it.I'm a HAPPY Boy.

AF4KK Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2012 06:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent speaker!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It does what it's supposed to do WHEN it's supposed to do it!! It's cool to turn the DSP on and listen for the processor to find and "kill" the QRM/N!! It works very well and I'm very happy with it!!

WZ3O Rating: 4/5 Jul 25, 2011 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Very, very nice.... Almost a "5"...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
OK, bought a "used" one, was mobile with an IC-706 MKiiG, it transformed my mobile experience.... Made all but unreadable stations clear & intelligible..

No, it doesn't make a noisy HF band sound like FM, but sure did allow me to work many, many HF DX mobile QSO's I would otherwise have missed...

Liked it so well I bought a second "used" one, both are in pristine condition & work very well, even with an IC-7000 as my base station. Use the 7000 wide open with little to no DSP & it makes HF DX a very pleasnt experience... Yes I could fiddle with all the bells & whistles the 7000 has & probably get an even better signal, but why bother when a "flip of a switch" does darn near as well...

No,static crashes don't "disappear" as I've read others claim, but all the crashes, atmospheric & other noises all but go away...

So, find one in good condition used & buy it, I did ...Twice...

KG6BIW Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2008 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Mobile God send  Time owned: more than 12 months
Verticle screwdriver, mobile in a jeep XJ, my IC-706MKIIG just didn't have the filtering, even w/ factory DSP, to eliminate both QRM & QRN picked up by that antenna, not to mention engine noise coming in electrically. This made all the difference in the world, eliminating almost all QRN, the vast majority of engine/electrical system noise and reducing much QRM. Been using it for 8 years plus now. No flaws, even in a dusty jeep.

One caveat: There is a draw from this speaker even with the DSP turned off. Having the radio turned off does not cut the draw. I wired the speaker directly to a battery source to avoid the possibility of admitting noise around the filter. If, doing so, you let your car park for a week or more you will come back to a dead battery. I would suggest coming off the accessory power and using a relay if that happens to introduce unwanted noise. As a ham we should be used to these kind of technicalities. A small effort for the results.

I understand the Western Mountain version comes closest to the original and will go there for my next one.

K9DDB Rating: 4/5 Feb 17, 2008 12:20 Send this review to a friend
GREAT PERFORMANCE...BUT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had used the Clear Speech speaker for about 3 years in my 1993 Chevrolet Astro van with a Icom IC-706mkIIG. The Astro is prone to a lot number of elecrical noises not the least of which was computer hash. The noise blanker in the '706 was marginal as best. The Clear Speech made a night and day difference in my ability to work stations while the engine was running. Remember, if you can't hear 'em, you can't work 'em!! I added a subminature switch to turn power off when it was not being used. The only reason I did not give it a 5 is that I NEEDED to run the volume on the '706 wide open most of the time in order to get a comfortable listening level, even though the speaker was mounted right behind my left ear on the B pillar. Still in all, a great product. So sorry to hear they are no longer being produced.

N2ETJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2007 15:08 Send this review to a friend
Long Term Report  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this speaker, dsp, for over 5 years now with no problems. It makes listening to the radio for extended periods much more enjoyable... less fatigue. It really gets rid of the noise and often makes the difference between no copy and solid copy. If they still made these, would buy another in a heart beat. Works great with my Pro 3.... if you can find one, buy it

W6RMC Rating: 4/5 Mar 21, 2007 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Stunning - 4.9  Time owned: more than 12 months
The only thing that keeps this from being a 5 is lack of an on/off switch.
I have had this in my Dodge pickup for 5 years now working with an Alinco DX70. The best way I can sum it up is: WOW.
Switch it from normal to DSP and the difference in signal is stunning.
I don't know about them now that Heil has them. But the older model I have is an outstanding piece of gear. I have had no problems with it.

W4WIL Rating: 0/5 Jan 25, 2006 04:46 Send this review to a friend
over priced junk!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought a clear speech,had a problem with it,sent it back to heil,they sent my old one back and said there's no problem.poor service,junk!

NE7X Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2006 21:15 Send this review to a friend
Less fatigue when listening to HF  Time owned: more than 12 months
I must have for HF mobiling. Eliminates all the back-ground static and hash, makes listening less fatiguing and no more broadcast AM heterodynes on 40 meters.

For full mobile pictures and installation details, visit my HF mobile website at:

73s, Tom NE7X...