Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Clear Speech Noise Reduction Speaker by Am-Com Help

Reviews Summary for Clear Speech Noise Reduction Speaker by Am-Com
Clear Speech Noise Reduction Speaker by Am-Com Reviews: 98 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $179.95
Description: A quality speaker with built-in DSP noise reduction.
NOTE: Will now be produced by Heil Sound:
More info: http://www.amcominc.com/productdetail.cfm?Prod_ID=16

You can write your own review of the Clear Speech Noise Reduction Speaker by Am-Com.

N4RAP Rating: 4/5 Jul 25, 2005 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Best in the business  Time owned: more than 12 months
I drive a 1997 Ford Power Stroke Diesel pickup. The electronic fuel control module and the electric fuel pump create a lot of noise. I have tried grounding, several different antennas, power cord filters, common mode filters, TVI filters, RF chokes, aluminal foil, lead foil, ferrite beads, and snap-on filter chokes. Nothing worked.
My noise level on 20 meters is S-9, and this is the same on 12, 15 and 17 meters. On 40 meters the noise level is 20bd/S-9.
The only thing that worked is the Am Comm Clear Speech Speaker. I have also tried other DSP speakers and even other DSP units, and the ONLY thing that works worth a darn is the Am Comm device. It has made mobile hf enjoyable again. I'm sorry that the original device is no longer in production.

N1VWX Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2005 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Grest Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got the new DSP Clearspeaker made by Heil,I have a 706 with no DSP, it is a great improvement.Would recommend this product.N1VWX

W4AV Rating: 2/5 May 28, 2004 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Poor Customer Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great product. But poor customer service. I ordered a speaker and was told it would ship in 3 weeks. After 4 weeks I call them. They said it would take maybe another 3-4 weeks. I canceled the order on the phone and via e-mail. They replied via e-mail and said that I never had an order. After sending them a copy of their e-mail comfirming that I had placed a order. They confirmed that the order was cancelled.

Guess what? Today the speaker arrived.

W2NSF Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2004 14:38 Send this review to a friend
Follow up - better than ever!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a follow up to my March 04 review. I bought an SCG ADSP2 speaker and did A-B comparison. Let's just say, I retired the SGC unit last week. I noticed that I never use the DSP functions of my 706MkIIG since installing the ClearSpeech speaker. I tune with the switch off and switch it on when conditions dictate. I'm still amazed how much noise and other offending crap this thing get rid of! I especially like the jack where you can plug in headphones, or like I have it, a larger speaker.

W6HB Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2004 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Great for mobile or home use  Time owned: more than 12 months
Here is the OEM site and their data. IF AMCOM if unable to provide these, MAYBE NCT will continue with another outlet. Check out:

Two-way mobile radio communications external speakers enter the digital age!

ClearSpeech® Speaker

ClearSpeech-Speaker is a digital speaker that removes up to 95% of the background noise from the receive side of any two-way radio communication. The most common complaint about mobile communications is background noise. ClearSpeech-Speaker is a high-tech, low cost solution that enhances the audio quality of car and truck fleet, emergency vehicles, marine and ham radio communications.

Features/Benefits

Improves clarity and intelligibility of communications
Listen with less fatigue and greater concentration
Easy to use, activates automatically when connected into your mobile radio and a 12-volt power supply
Easy to install, mounts like a standard external loudspeaker
Continuous and adaptive removal of background noise from speech
Improves signal to noise ratio
Specifications

Dimensions: 5.5" x 4.3" x 2.5"
Power supply: 9 to 18V DC, 3 amps maximum
Audio input: Input impedance - 8 ohms
Audio output: Nominal power - 2W, Maximum power - 3W
Noise cancellation characteristics: 300 Hz to 3,400 Hz voice bandwidth, Single tone noise reduction - >50dB, White noise reduction - > 12dB
ClearSpeech-Speaker can cancel up to 95% of background noise for greater
intelligibility of incoming conversation.

Pricing

Model # Item Part # List Price
CSS-1 Permanent Installation 10217042-1 $179.00
CSS-2 Transportable Installation 10217042-2 $179.00

To Purchase

Please visit our distributor, AmCom, Inc. to purchase on-line or contact them toll-free at 888-803-5823.

For additional information

Please call 1-800-278-3526 or 203-226-4447, ext. 2.

© 2003 NCT Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

KT0DD Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2004 17:33 Send this review to a friend
They can't be gone...  Time owned: more than 12 months
First of all I give the Clearspeech a 5+. Great Unit.

Second, I wouldn't be too sure that they are out of business yet. I think their site may be being upgraded or something, as Amcom is scheduled to come to the Wyoming ARRL 2004 Hamfest over Memorial Day weekend here in Casper WY, and we have not had a cancellation notice yet that I'm aware of. If no one knows by Memorial day if they're still around or not, I'll post an announcment on here as to whether or not they show up, and what their status is. 73 Todd

AD7DB Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2004 16:28 Send this review to a friend
Boy am I glad I got mine while I could!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Here's the review I wrote for our club newsletter.

Am-Com manufactures and sells a device called the ClearSpeech. This is a speaker that includes audio digital signal processing (DSP) designed to remove static, steady tone noise like carriers, and other interference.

I bought mine because I was very impressed with the one my brother John N7JY bought at the 2003 ARRL convention. My Icom 706 MkIIg contains some DSP features, but like everyone else I found them to be rather lacking. Despite 16 “levels” of processing, it either does too little to be useful, or distorts everything so bad you can’t understand anything at all. The automatic notch filter on the 706, however, does a very good job of notching out carriers.

So if you want something better, you get a ClearSpeech speaker and hook it up. Mine has a switch on the front to turn on the filter, and there is a jack for connecting an extension speaker or headphones. You do need to hook up a 12V power source, as even the plain speaker won’t run without power.

I have tested several combinations of the audio functions of the 706 with the filtering of the ClearSpeech. Briefly I can say this: the DSP in the ClearSpeech is everything the DSP in the 706 should have been. The auto notch filter (ANF) in the 706 works much quicker in getting rid of “tuner-uppers.” The notching from the ClearSpeech takes just over a second to engage. I presume they did this so it wouldn’t interfere with CW copy. I don’t even turn on the DSP on the 706 anymore, I leave the ANF on, maybe use a narrow SSB filter if I have to, and cut in the ClearSpeech, and I’m ready for all but the very worst noise conditions on 75 meters!

This speaker isn’t just useful for HF. I have found that it can remove 50 to 80% of radar noise from 440 MHz repeater audio. In some cases I had to switch my unit off to verify that there had been some radar interference to the other guy, because it was doing such a good job of removing it.

John showed me what it did when he hooked it up to his 2 meter HT. He opened the squelch wide, then turned on the speaker. The noise vanished. Now, results with my radios were not anything close to that dramatic, but on 2m FM, it is possible to run with the squelch wide open on 146.52 and you can hear simplex QSOs miles away that were buried in the noise before.

The tonal quality with the DSP engaged sounds a little bit like a digital cellphone. I got used to it rather quickly, because it makes reception possible under noisy band conditions that would otherwise be impossible. There is one slight effect which some may not like too much, but when you transmit and it cuts off your audio (or, if you listen to a repeater with the squelch normally set), each time the audio comes back it’s unfiltered for a second until the DSP kicks back in. I believe this is normal recovery for the DSP function, otherwise it would keep on filtering when the interference is long gone.

The ClearSpeech, unfortunately, puts out some birdies. One particularly bad one is right near 146.94 MHz. I have found 2-3 others but they aren’t as bad. This would be about the only downside if you want to use it on VHF.

The speaker measures 5.5” x 4.5” x 2.5”, and comes with a tough plastic mounting bracket and hardware. As I mentioned before it needs 12 volts DC to operate, and it does have a steady current draw because it’s never off. The draw is said to be around 150 mA, which may not be of concern in mobile use if you start your car every day. If I were going to leave it parked for a week or more I would disconnect the power. I used Anderson Power Pole connectors so I could do that easily, and installed my speaker to the left inside wall of my truck behind my left ear so it’s easy to hear while driving.

This speaker is a lot of fun to play with. I can use my 706 to tune to AM broadcast stations. I showed John how well it improved reception on KOGO 600. With the speaker kicked in it was like we were relocated 100 miles down the coast right into San Diego.

Music stations can cause weird effects too. A singer hitting long steady notes gets notched out regularly throughout the song. It also takes out some musical instruments at times.

Traveling on the open interstate, CB channel 19 (27.185 MHz AM) can actually be useful to listen to road conditions from the truckers. The speaker takes out most of the AM hissing and gets rid of the near constant heterodynes.

This is all done using audio DSP. Another type of DSP, used in some high-end radios, utilizes IF based DSP, which is supposed to be much better. The advantage here is that this is very easily used with nearly any radio.

There are two ClearSpeech models made by Am-Com. One is this speaker unit; the other is a box intended for base use with any speaker. The MSRP is $179.95, I picked up mine for about $160.

This is not the only unit of its type on the market. SGC, GAP, MFJ and other companies make their own models. I can’t tell you how those compare, so it might be worth a visit to a ham radio shop where they can demonstrate all of the units for you.

N3PZT Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2004 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Glad I Got It !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got the speaker several weeks ago and installed it in my 1994 Toyota Camry and all I can say is WOW ! I agree with all the positive reviews posted for this product. I use a three way rotary switch for the three rigs in my mobile; a Yaesu FT-857, a Yaesu FT-5200 dual band and a RS 40 channel CB. I was amazed at the listening comfort level on HF and even more amazed how well it cleaned up all the hash-n-trash on the CB rig. It takes a week or so for your ears to adjust to the different tonal quality but well worth the learning curve.

For those that balk at the price let me say this; there's many things you pay extra for in life that give you either more comfort, convenience or satisfaction. One example is the Yaesu ATAS-120 screwdriver antenna. I tried the ham sticks and eventually got sick-n-tired of all the swapping-n-changing. The ATAS-120 has eliminated that aggravation. Many people don't think twice about paying extra for power windows, doors and mirrors or for heated seats or steering wheels. Auto AC used to be an expensive add-on for many years and now it's standard equipment. So, give your ears a welcome rest and just buy the speaker. You'll be glad you did.

K6FYY Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2004 02:28 Send this review to a friend
The base unit version is amazing!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Instead of having the bpi DSP unit installed directly into my FT-817, I decided to purchase the Am-Com ClearSpeech base unit so I could use it on a variety of equipment.

This is an astounding piece of engineering. The digital processing algorithm will not be pleasing to every ear; at times, it has a sloshy tremelo effect-- like water slopping around in a tub.

But after a month or so of use-- to my ear, it makes unreadable signals signficantly clearer. I am very glad I made this purchase.

WA4THR Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2004 10:47 Send this review to a friend
Stress reducer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed a ClearSpeech speaker in my 1997 Explorer with an FT-857, I thought I'd post some oservations.

1. The adaptive noise reduction algorithm is remarkable and it just wipes away the noise from fuel pumps, ignition, etc., making working HF a pleasure. It adds some digital artifacts to noisy signals, but they are very similar to what you hear on a digital cell phone and don't hurt intelligibility. The improvement made is worth the cost of the speaker and the speaker is well-worth the cost when comparing its effectiveness to that of the add-on Yaesu DSP (now included standard).
2. It does not do magic, though. If you cannot strain and copy the other signal with no noise reduction, you'll only hear boops and beeps of an unintelligible voice with the noise reduction. What it does do is take the strain out of copying the signals.
3. With no signal present, the speaker hisses when power is on and noise reduction is off, and makes odd low-level squeaks with power on and noise reduction on. You can't hear this underway, but it is another good reason to shut the speaker power off when the radio isn't in use
4. The Yaesu DSP-2 board seems to primarily affect the frequency distribution of the audio in the DNR and DBF modes. As a result, I've found it can sometimes be used together with the ClearSpeech unit for further improved noise reduction in very critical situations.
5. A real surprise was that 2m FM was severely and adversly affected by having the ClearSpeech unit powered on and hooked up to the rig! Whenever I transmitted on 2m, the speaker would go crazy with noise and when receiving the speaker completely blocked several local repeaters with some strong spurs in the 147MHz area. Fortunately, the addition of a snap-on ferrite choke from R/S with 3 turns of the audio input line to the speaker completely cured that situation on both transmit and receive.