Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | ADMS-VX6 Advanced Management System for the VX-6 Help

Reviews Summary for ADMS-VX6 Advanced Management System for the VX-6
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$39.99
Description: Available software for programming the VX6 series HT's.
More info: http://www.rtsars.com

You can write your own review of the ADMS-VX6 Advanced Management System for the VX-6.

W9ZIM Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2017 19:53 Send this review to a friend
I can't imagine managing my radio without it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This software has improved dramatically over the years. It is currently at version 5 for the Yaesu VX-6. It's basically a spreadsheet customized for your radio. Channel information can be entered directly (repeater offset and operating mode are selected automatically but can be changed if you desire), and all the options like tone encode and transmit power are conveniently laid out in a row of check boxes and drop down lists. Channels can be freely moved, cut, copied, pasted, and automatically sorted using a wide criteria. For example, you can sort by the alpha tag and then by receive frequency in ascending or descending order. And assigning channels to memory banks couldn't be easier: it's literally as simple as putting a check mark in a box.

Along the bottom of the main program window is a row of tabs for selecting the main memory bank, the skip bank, scan limit pairs, direct memory recall channels, VFO, and the marine, shortwave, and weather bands which can all be tweaked to your liking. There's also a special settings window that gives you access to all the options accessed through the VX-6's Set menu.

Basically, anything you can do directly through the radio can be configured through the ADMS software.

I also got the USB programming cable which works perfectly, and I was able to quickly and easily transfer data to and from the radio. I spent an evening organizing and cleaning my radio's memories which had gotten into a bit of disarray, and I encountered no problems. The software is easy to use, intuitive, and stable.

My only disappointment is that it is Windows exclusive. I would love to see it for Linux, but that's currently not an option. I tried to get it working through Wine with no luck (it installed OK but kept throwing up an error message and then closing) so I finally resorted to installing it in an ancient copy of Windows XP that I run in VirtualBox, and this has worked very well. Of course the cable can be used for other software like CHIRP which does have a native Linux version but is, unfortunately, not as well-designed or comprehensive as the ADMS software.

K6LCS Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2006 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Performs as Advertised  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am not sure what folks are expecting from programming software. All the current versions from RT Systems that I have purchased are working well for me: I can read my HTs and mobile rigs, edit the programming, and upload to each.

EVERY instruction sheet I have for RT Systems' programs includes the following phrase:

"UPDATES: Updates to this software are available AT NO CHARGE at ...

http://www.cloningsoftware.com ..."

RT Systems is conscientious, and provides updates to us. What you might purchase from a dealer might not be the absolute latest version, and RT Systems makes it painless to upgrade.

I would hate to be in RT Systems' shoes when it comes to comms programs and the countless number of computer configurations out there. I have purchased a couple old IBM ThinkPad 760ED laptops at ham swaps (about $150 each) for all my programming needs. I have commerical software from Motorola, Kenwood, Vertex, and others - as well as my amateur programs. The 760ED has a 9-pin serial port, and I couldn't be more pleased with my programming setups.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

K9OSC Rating: 4/5 Mar 27, 2006 05:17 Send this review to a friend
Okay - upgrade required  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having purchased a new Yaesu VX-6R HT a few months ago, I quickly learned that programming it manually is a chore if you opt to put in a lot of different frequencies into its 900 memory locations. This HT has plenty to offer and its frequency versatility is excellent.

However, software is another matter. Yaesu/Vertex obtains their programming software through RT Systems. See http://www.rtsars.com. Their software for this HT is named ADMS-VX6 Advanced management System for the VX-6. It is purchased through dealers and comes with a mini-CD, a programming interface cable and a mono-to-stereo mini-plug adapter. When I purchased this software recently it came with Version 3.10. This version was released 8/29/05.

My experience with it was not stellar. I followed the two pages of instructions and was able to download frequencies already in my VX-6 to my computer. By the way, I use a Dell 2400 system, 2.4 GHz/512 MB. RAM with USB 2.0 ports. I use a USB to serial cable for input for devices that are designed for serial port interface (read DB-9). When I opted to upload programmed data to the VX-6 it would not do so. I consistently received an ERROR message on the screen of the HT. To further complicate troubleshooting they have warnings that not all USB interface cables work but if you mail them $20 plus a copy of your receipt for the ADMS-VX6 software within a couple of weeks they will send you that they have found works most of the time.

Following more reading, trying to change parameters, plugging and unplugging interfaces, I ventured to their website. I found that an upgrade was available. Actually, it is a patch called VX-6 Patch.exe. It upgrades the current shipped software through eight (8) additional upgrades to version 3.20! When that was installed the software worked as advertised. I was concerned that they even tried to ship something recently that was not compatible with current level computers. I am aware that this software has just become available within the past couple of months as confirmed by Yaesu in email exchanges I have had with them.

For a better deal I found another website that has improved programming materials. See http://www/kc8unj.com. Jim Mitchell - KC8UNJ, has done a fantastic job writing software for all major brands of modern amateur radio equipment. His software is free…no hidden fees. His software excels and has options that the RT Systems software doesn’t. For example, you can easily sort all files by frequency, alpha tag, etc. or only a select group of file entries. The RT Systems software does not provide this option. The best part is that it worked the first time! No patches, no fiddling and no experimenting. Look for the file VX-6 Commander Version 0.20 Beta. Don’t let the “beta” nomenclature influence you. It works perfectly and has everything the commercial software has and more. Besides, Jim provides extensive information about his products. He also has links for cables, troubleshooting and full product support.

Programming the VX-6 has been made much easier using the right software. I have the option of quickly changing my HT depending upon use, part of the country where I travel and for special events. But, the 900 memories really permit permanent storage of just about anything you might want.