Reviews Categories | Ham Work Bench Tools & Test Equipment | Hakko FX-901 Help

Reviews Summary for Hakko FX-901
Hakko FX-901 Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Cordless, battery-operated soldering iron.
More info: http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fx901.html

You can write your own review of the Hakko FX-901.

N6UOK Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2006 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Lightweight, hot, easy to solder.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There are several excellent reviews on this product on the net (for example, http://www.applefritter.com/node/10572). I hope people who read my review read such other reviews, because they explain in detail how the device is to be used.

For many years, I have owned a Portasol gas-operated soldering iron. It solders nicely, and its hot-blow tip is great for heat-shrink tubing. I also own a rechargeable soldering iron that uses a heavy, permanently-installed NiCd battery.

The Hakko FX-901 has an easier-to-work-with tip, and it uses four AA batteries. It doesn't allow to treat heat-shrink tubing, but soldering small parts is much easier than the Portasol, because the FX-901 is lightweight, and its tip is longer and pointier than the Portasol.

Incidentally, I strive to standardize my electronics with AA batteries because NiMH rechargeables and their chargers are economical (I hate proprietary rechargeables), plus, lithium batteries are an option if I need extra power. The FX-901 is a nice addition to my toolkit.