Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/Pod-WebCasts on ham radio | Vintage Anthology by WA6VVL Help

Reviews Summary for Vintage Anthology by WA6VVL
Vintage Anthology by WA6VVL Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $19.95
Description: 209 page compendium of 42 articles written by David W. Ishmael, WA6VVL, regarding tube-type amateur radio receivers and transmitters for Electric Radio magazine between September 1991 through March 2003. Spiral-bound 8-1/2" x 11".
More info: http://members.cox.net/daveishmael/VA.htm

You can write your own review of the Vintage Anthology by WA6VVL.

WA4AOS Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2016 16:09 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT A+++  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you read my last review of this book I basically stated that Dave Ishmael is a very knowledgeable and detail oriented person and I was disappointed with the quality of the pics in the book. I have followed Dave's work in the Electric Radio magazine and he seems to be a perfectionist with detail which really made me wonder about the book I received.

Fast Forward to February 2016, Dave contacted me and explained that the printers had apparently used the wrong DVD to pull the pics from and they had printed some of these books with low resolution pics that were hard to make out.

At any rate, Dave was kind enough to offer a replacement copy if I would scan a few pics and send them to him to verify that is what had happened.
I did so and his reply was, "BINGO" new book on the way.

OK, I received the new copy today and what a difference. It's still black and white/gray scale printing and this is what I expected to begin with. The pics are MUCH better and I can make out the detail just fine.

Also mentioned in my first review, is the info was EXCELLENT and deserving of a score greater than 5.

If you like vintage Ham radio and might be considering building or restoring some of the receivers or transmitters described in this book, then this becomes a MUST HAVE Resource.
It is also just a FUN READ!!

I also appreciate Dave taking the time to make me happy with my purchase. I suspect many others would have been content to let it go and pocket the small profit received on this kind of a purchase.

THANK YOU DAVE ISHMAEL for your honesty, integrity and dedication to detail.
I give this book and it's author a well deserved EXCELLENT A+++++++ Rating!!!
Now, get a copy for your pleasure and ENJOY this GREAT Reference Resource.

WA4AOS Rating: 2/5 Jun 28, 2014 10:06 Send this review to a friend
disappointed  Time owned: months
I have the utmost respect for Dave Ishmael and have followed his EXCELLENT articles in Electric Radio magazine. I even bought the Viking Adventure he restored and was written up in ER. Having said that, I bought a copy of his Vintage Anthology. The text was great and lots of good info there. I give him a 7 on the 5 point scale, however, the photos throughout the book are very poor Many of them with almost no recognizable parts and pieces. Most look like black/white photo copies from the early 70's. The best pics have scan lines through each and here I give the book a big ZERO. The pics are so bad I am tempted to just return it, information notwithstanding. Simple gray scale scanning with a little light would yield vastly superior pics. Honestly, as detailed oriented as Mr Ishmael is, I am very surprised the book is so substandard.

K7RAN Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2006 17:31 Send this review to a friend
Terrific anthology  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Dave has really done a job good of collecting his Electric Radio articles. I bought the book for the detailed sections related to the Knight Kit Ocean Hopper receiver and the Ameco AC-1 novice transmitter, but I've been spending a lot of time learning more about other classics like the Heathkit AT-1 and more. I heartily recommend this book for anyone who enjoys learning more about (or restoring) the old classic rigs.