Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM 261 A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM 261 A
Kenwood TM 261 A Reviews: 59 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $169.95
Description: Two-meter FM radio
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/products/index.cfm?AMA=open&ama_mob=open

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM 261 A.

KC7URE Rating: 4/5 Mar 30, 2014 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have seen a lot of people say the Kenwood TM 261a is a EASY Radio to program... Mine were too... but that was a long time ago... have not been on in a long time.. a lot of medical problems.. most have been resolved... My hands have a hard time taking the buttons...
Does anyone know if there is a Reliable Software and cable that I can download my Rig?...
kc7ure@hotmail.com
Put call sign in subject... or it may go to Spam...
Would really appreciate all the help I can get... Thank you

KD5YVY Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2013 19:14 Send this review to a friend
10 years Solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first ham radio, bought it new in the box in 2003 (10 years ago) when I got my license. The radio performed excellent for those 10 years, but if finally succumbed to my faults of never check SWR on my mobile antennas and I had a final go bad on high power. I sold the TM-261a and replaced it with the newest model TM-281a. I've owned various Kenwood products for the past 15 years and have no problem putting my money into their products. Although this radio has been discontinued many years ago, I would still recommend it to anyone looking for a used 2 meter radio, as long as they tested it like you should any used gear.

WP4OEK Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2013 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Build to last !  Time owned: more than 12 months
What can I say, great ! This radio is great. I have several radios, but this one for mobile is the best. Small footprint, 50 watts enough for repeaters, decent heatsink.

NQ5F Rating: 4/5 Jul 2, 2011 20:45 Send this review to a friend
Good Basic RIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a total of (3) of these rigs. (2) were purchased brand new and (1) used. I had one mounted on the dash of my truck for 3 hot summers and never had a problem. They are good tough radios. If you can find one around $100 or less, buy it. The thing I like the most about them is the lighted mic. The only reason it is a 4 instead of 5 is the s l o w scan speed. I know it's not a scanner, but come on.

VA3DTP Rating: 4/5 Mar 19, 2011 16:50 Send this review to a friend
Nice Mobile Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Nice Kenwood TM-261 Mobile 2 Meter Radio. Works very well but gets hot especially when using 50 Watt output setting. Recommend leaving at 10 watts setting. Radio is not the easiest to program, manual neglected (missing) to describe how to set the tones. No programming port is available. Overall a good radio. Was worth the money and came with MC-53DM multifunction microphone.

VO1XH Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2011 09:21 Send this review to a friend
10 Years old,still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got my TM261A Christmas 2000,main reason for picking this rig was for the abililty to receieve 108-136 MHz air band. I have had this radio installed in 3 vehicles since and works every time.Had to have a new mic jack installed after 2 years use,one of the hams in our club is a radio tech for the police and he had the tools to crimp on the RJ45 style jack,not one of my favorite mic connectors but just about all rigs have this now.
The radio does get hot especially after a long winded qso,I found this out after installing it on driver side engine cover of my 1996 GMC Safari AWD van,the heat sink got quite warm when my leg brushed off the heatsink after running the rig on medium (10w)power,it was summer and I was wearing shorts(OUCH!). A small muffin fan that was salvaged from an old computer and attached to the heat sink and a small micro toggle switch from Radio Shack took care of the heat rather quickly.I use the rig daily and when not in qso on the local repeaters,I like to listen to the fire and ambulance service( the police use digital voice inversion on trucked system so cannot listen in)and aircraft communications.
Overall,the rig is well worth the $299.95 price tag.One beef is why Kenwood did not include the ctcss tone board when it was produced,as by that time,other manufactuers were including it as a standard feature of similarly priced radios.I later purchased the tone board and installed it, a $70.00 price tag.A great radio and very reliable.73,Don,VO1XH.

KD8IGK Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2011 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio Recv & TX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got a used TM-261a. I have used mostly ICOM radios in the past so this was my first Kenwood. There have been some comments regarding this being difficult to program. I did not have any problems at all. I think it is more complex to program an ICOM of this vintage of radio than this Kenwood.

One good thing about this radio is you do not need a computer to program its functions. I got a "Nifty Quick Reference" card which helped, but you really do not need it.

I was able to perform the Mod on extended Receive and Transmit frequencies. This worked great. I now can use this on 2 Meter and Marine Band, plus listen to weather alerts, Air Band, etc.

I have had no problems with the Mic buttons, display or high heat.

I have done a lot of testing with TX and RCV quality and find this unit is better than I expected for an older radio.

The unit is very compact and I can see why this unit was popular for mobile mounting.

One feature I really liked was it's automatic off set direction for repeater operation.

I paid $75.00 for a 50 watt radio which I thought was a good buy.

I am using this mostly for a base station radio and will use it in the car only occasionally.

This review is from a used radio perspective and is not meant to compare it to all the current models on the market.

KJ4CMA Rating: 4/5 Mar 7, 2009 17:25 Send this review to a friend
Overall good rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had mine for about a year, purchased used on ebay, no history. Used for a little as a base, but has spent most of its time mobile.

Likes:
- It works - TX and RX without any issues. Again, I have no idea of the radio's history before it came to me (it does appear to have been used) but it's still tickin'.
- Wide range RX is nice, although the air band receive isn't all that great, I do like the NWS weather channels.

Dislikes:
- Radio functions aren't intuitive. Often end up doing something and not being able to fix it (case in point - changing to AM and not being able to switch it back without reading the manual.) I say this with a background as a pilot that's figured out a complex array of aircraft radios and navigation equipment. To be fair, I don't drive the vehicle that it's mounted in often, so a little more frequent use would probably help.
- Why does entering a new frequency require anything other than entering the new freq on the DTMF pad?
- Scan is a bit slow.

Obviously if you're looking at this radio, you're going to be purchasing used. While I wouldn't seek this unit out for any particular features (frankly i bought mine because the price was right, and it was what I wanted - a 2M mobile) if the opportunity arises and the price is good, you're going to get a good, solid rig. I have no issue with the job the radio does - only with the way you get it to do it.

KJ4JAJ Rating: 4/5 Feb 19, 2009 23:38 Send this review to a friend
Nice little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought this radio used for $100. Took me a few hours to learn the ins and outs but it's a great little rig. I like the fact that it's really small and fits just right in my minivan console. I'll prolly buy another for my shack.

JW - KJ4JAJ

N4FDG Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2008 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works great, lasts a long time. I've had one forever. It is my garage radio any gets a lot of use. Mine is over 10 years old an always works. It's a keeper.