Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Diamond A144S5 2M Yagi Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond A144S5 2M Yagi
Diamond A144S5 2M Yagi Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $59
Description: Base Station Yagi Beam - Special Features:
+ High Gain
+ Easy Assembly
+ Great for base or portable use.
+ Quality Construction
+ Factory adjusted - no tuning required.
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/a144s5.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond A144S5 2M Yagi.

KC2YRJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2017 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed to hit a repeater over 40mi. away and my discone just couldn't do it. The antenna on the repeater end is compromised and there are many hills in the way. I wanted something that didn't have a very long boom and the A144S5, w 9.1 db gain seemed like a good choice. Took me about 15 minutes to mount to a PVC pipe and a vent-pipe mount. Used a compass to aim it at the repeater and now getting full quieting. SWR is 1.1:1 at center of band and a maximum of 1.3:1 at the edges. All this for $60.

G4VEC Rating: 4/5 Apr 29, 2016 03:11 Send this review to a friend
Well Made BUT.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only installed it a few days ago (28 April 2016) A club friend had moved some 30-miles away and I was only just able to make contact using my Diamond F23a vertical antenna,3x 5/8 in mono config. 8dbi.My first impression when unpacking from cardboard box was that it was well made and very lightweight,as this was to be used vertically polarised I was disappointed to discover that the stand-off support bracket was not included, all illustrations of this antenna give the impression that it was an integral part of the antenna but on enquiring was told it was an extra item KB144 15 plus p&p and 8-weeks delivery, not stocked in any of the UK emporiums.I have installed it in my loft suspended using cord,SWR flat from 144 to 146 MHZ.
Not had time to carry out full tests,but is performing as well as can be expected. However I will not use it outside,in my opinion this antenna is ideal for portable use or inside a building, and was probably not intended to be used as an outdoor base station antenna.

W4JTB Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2015 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Great quality product   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the yagi because a buddy of mine moved 20 miles away and the attic x-50 just wasn't cutting it (not the x-50's fault, another great antenna). We were only able to simplex if conditions were very favorable.

I live in an HOA so I quickly push this yagi up after dark and several of us have a simplex group every night around 7pm.

It's only up about 15 feet, and I'm able to talk with them 20 miles away with ease. In fact they only use 15 watts and I get 3-4 bars and full quieting. I'll also mention they are in HOA's as well and only have their antennas up about 12-15 feet.

I also use it for a central Alabama simplex net on Sunday nights and it can be heard 60 miles away with no issue.

Great antenna. Very happy with the purchase.

It has surpassed my expectations.

AA7LX Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2014 19:22 Send this review to a friend
High Quality from Diamond  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Brought for better city/area coverage than 1/4 Groundplane. Hits all repeaters(with lower power settings) 100% even pointed 45-90 degrees away. Needed for Apartment balcony. Attached to PVC and slotted PVC into small tripod. No problem! 1.2 or better SWR. Replaced wing nut with regular nut. Recommend Silicon coating on Yagi ends. Otherwise, Buy it! Excellent product and high quality from Diamond. Have brought other products from Diamond though DX Engineering--extremely good quality products!

W6VMX Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2012 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna - easy to assemble and install - works excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Recently moved 30 miles from club repeater, so I decided to get a yagi. Mounted it vertical on a metal pole, just below my Diamond x50a. It works great, good F/B and side rejection, and forward gain is excellent as well. VSWR is flat at 2.5 watts, and less than 1.5 at 50 watts. I am VERY happy with this antenna, and will soon be picking up another for use on portable cart system to be used for our WAMO! remote nets. Visit us at www.wa6bgs.us and see whats up.

N6TFL Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2012 10:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Buy and Compact  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use this antenna on a tripod with non-metallic 1.5 " PVC pipe for a mast for portable use. I now have a stacking arrangement with two of these antennas mounted on a Diamond SB144R Support Beam and a Diamond SS770R Stacking Harness Kit. Performance is significantly improved over a single. Photo at http://www.tfl.net/HamRadio/ Note: I added weights (40 pound bags of salt pellets) to the TriPod legs for added stability. Diamond Technical support (Wayne) was exceptionally good when I consulted them on the stacking arrangement.

M6AIU Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2011 04:43 Send this review to a friend
Good value for money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
If your on a budget then this antenna will suit you - does what it says on the box!

I have used this on field trips and got good results when using repeaters and for Sat contact... Ok, the build quality isn't like a 200 unit but it easily packs down for portable use and is dead easy to set up again, what more do you want for the price....

SM6XUN Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2011 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Great product!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is surely a great antenna for portable 2m SSB work, there is no other beam on the market being this portable, lightweight, easy and fast to set up.

It does not have the ruggedness for being mounted to your 30 foot tower for 20+ years but it is not really intended for that purpose either, there is alot other antennas suitable for that purpose.

I use it on a 16 feet glassfiber pole, running HFX50 cable, a gel battery and my FT-857, a great way to activate 2m SSB from hilltops :)

KD7QDG Rating: 4/5 Nov 15, 2010 19:07 Send this review to a friend
Very Functional - Quick Assembly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna does very well, good directivity, Low SWR thru the entire 2 Meter band. Had it built and in the air in 20 minutes, most of that time mounting it to the mast.

Gain is good, pulls in those far away repeaters, the marginal ones are now full copy as long as I am pointed in the right direction!

Came with the mounting bracket, 1.5 inch, and of course I have a 2 inch mast... oh well. Drilled for horizontal or vertical polarization. Quick and easy to change. Happy with the product, very portable.

WV1K Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2007 10:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for its intended uses  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm surprised by the low reviews. This antenna is meant to be portable, balcony or attic mounted. I don't think inclusion of 3 inches of Coax Seal is a sign to slap an antenna with wing nuts and plastic wherever. Reminds me of the Yaesu FT-2000 reviews that say it doesn't resist flooding like the VX-170 does and that it's not as useful for ARES as the VX-170...

I didn't think anyone would mount an antenna with wing nuts at 80 feet on a tower.

That being said, this is great for the attic where I have mine. Repeaters 80 miles away are, of course, full scale whereas they might be half scale on my Diamond X-30 vertical which is 10 feet higher.

I have mine vertical on a metal Channel Master mast at 15 feet; it came drilled for either polarization. Maybe they added that recently as mine shipped in a box not the bag it used to ship in.

The SWR is flat with no adjustment.

Fed with LMR-400 I'm glad I did this for 50 bucks rather than giving any more money to a CA company that told me "we can't create a custom replacement base for your custom 80m quarter wave because it was a custom job."

WHAT !?