Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | RigExpert SD Help

Reviews Summary for RigExpert SD
RigExpert SD Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $199. USD
Description: Effective 1 December 2006, Glenn W3GWW and Rig Technologies will no longer carry the RigExpert line. We will still furnish live telephone tech support to our valued customers for the next 12 months. Our decision to discontinue this line was based solely on Logistics, Patriotism and contractural needs. We have since introduced a new "Made in USA" interface to the market... one that we can supply to the government markets without reservation. It's nice to be back on-shore again! Many thanks to all of you who have supported our cause and stand by our traditional values. We really appreciate your business! Glenn W3GWW
More info: http://www.rigexpert.com/default.asp

You can write your own review of the RigExpert SD.

WA4SCA Rating: 4/5 Mar 3, 2007 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Great unit, drivers mostly good.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was looking for a unit which provided a dedicated sound card which would work with some specialized telemetry programs. This it did, and very well indeed. Comparisons with a good consumer sound card showed consistently better data recovery. In short, excellent hardware.

The software is a little less robust. Of course it plays perfectly using the VCP driver with MixW and Digipan. The problems, aside from sometimes skimpy documentation, come with the REAudio driver which loads on top of the VCP driver to emulate a Windows audio device and comm port which can be addressed by any program. While satisfactory for its use of controlling a rig with MixW or Digipan, there is insufficient buffering for programs such as satellite control or rig memory editing which move lots of data birectinally. I have seen warnings with other products not to use the comm port for these applications, so this isn't unique to the RigExpert. Still, having to use another serial port for some programs effectively means you may as well stick with that one rather than switch back and forth.

Finally, there is at least one case, mine, in which the REAudio driver does not quite work. On a new computer, but not 2 older ones with the same OS, the audio device emulation works for Recording, but not Playback. This gives you a receive only audio card. Having received no response to questions about this, I have been experimenting with a new FTDI driver, but so far no solution. Perhaps someday there will be a new REAudio driver which will fix this.

For its intended purpose, it is an excellent unit which I would gladly recommend. However, the quirky software and the resulting support issues drop my rating down to a 4.

N4DEK Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2006 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Best of Class  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very simple,the best radio interface I've ever used. Just plain works and very simple to get working without all the headaches.

W5EJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2006 09:11 Send this review to a friend
Its Simple and it Works!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use a laptop for my station computer and as such it does not have traditional sound card interfaces. I have two base station radios and another I use in my car as a backup rig. I wanted a simple solution that would work with USB and have it's own sound card and let me switch radios easily. I also needed the solution to work with my SteppIR antenna controller. Well this product worked right out the box. I was on the air BPSK31 in less then 30 minutes with a clean signal and only one wire to my laptop. I bought several SD interface cables and switch rigs to my RigExeprt with a DB25 switch box. Glenn at RigExpert is always ready to answer any questions you might have as well as offer suggestions to help improve your digital operations. If they don't have the stock cable you need as in the case of my TS-940 and you dont want to build your own, the thrid party company they recommneded which builds the custom cables is easy and fast to work with.

KC8ZNW Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2006 17:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Support!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My first digital mode equipment, a minimum of cables to fuss with, 1 usb cable to the computer and 3 connections to my FT897D. I also purchased the MixW Version 2.17 to go along with the Rig Expert SD. I called Glen (W3GWW) after it arrived and had him walk me through the install of the software to my computer and the setup to get it working in a few minutes.
I cannot stress this enough, Glen is a very patient man and his support is the reason I bought this hardware and the software package as well. The best customer service I have ever experienced. Mike

K5WK Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2006 12:58 Send this review to a friend
Great Product Great Support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used the Rig Expert and the Rig Expert SD.
I find them both super, and do not really see anything that distinguishes one from the other.

I have used them both on desktop computers and laptops. I had trouble getting the driver to work on a laptop, but with Glen (W3GWW) on the phone, we found the solution -- we had to reinstall the diver while no other software was being installed. The Procedure must have worked a little differently the second time.

I am a happy camper. You will be too if you use this as your digital interface.

K7VN Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2006 19:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Product, Great Support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Though I have been a ham since May of 1964 I am fairly new to PSK31 and the newer digital modes. In the process of learning what an interface was and how to use the mode I purchased other interface units. By far, the best unit I purchased was the RigExpert SD. It coupled with the powerful MixW2 Soft Ware met all my expectations. What was even more important to me was the support the founder, Glenn W3GWW, provided me. Having had 3 heart attacks my logic process is not so good. What may seem simple to some is a pain to me. I was having problems getting the RigExpert and MixW2 set up for CW. I sent a brief E-mail to Gleen on Saturday detailing my problem. I would have been pleased if he had called me in a week. However, that same day he E-mailed me asking for my phone number and a time for him to call me on Sunday, the next day. In a short 30 minute call he had my RigExpert set up, the MiwW2software optimized and then even taught me how to use the filters on my ICOM 756PROII better. What service. I have had none better. I would recommend the RigExpert SD to anyone who wants a full spectrum all mode interface.