Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | Wilson 40 foot tubular crankup tower Help

Reviews Summary for Wilson 40 foot tubular crankup tower
Wilson 40 foot tubular crankup tower Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $Unknown
Description: This tower is very similar to today's US Tower MA-40, but built by Wilson company in the late 70s to early 80s before they went out of business.
More info: http://None

You can write your own review of the Wilson 40 foot tubular crankup tower.

K0VH Rating: 4/5 Apr 4, 2006 18:27 Send this review to a friend
25 years old and still working fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
You can see my 2 reviews in the US Tower section as (erroneously) an MA-40. Here is the net of my latest:

My inherited 1995 tower is NOT a US tower MA-40 but a WILSON 40 foot crankup tubular tower. Per emails from K7TDU and W2CQM I determined my 25+ year old tower was made by Wilson. There is some debate if US Tower bought Wilson as there are a lot of similarities between this late 70s / early 80s version and today's MA-40 but while they appear the same in a brochure they are different in the detailed specifications. I do have the tilt over rotor base (rotor near the ground turning the entire tower via a thrust bearing). Per K7TDU, there is a weak point in this tower (and maybe the US tower version also) where a weld holds the large rod/pipe off the top of the rotor and thrust bearing to the U shaped clamp holding the base of the larger 20' tower tube....it snapped on him and the entire tower came down. Since my crank up winch was giving out after 25 years, I did preventative maintenance this past month and dropped the tower w/TA33Warc beam over and replaced both the winch with an equivalent 1100 lb boat winch and 3/16" 50' cable. I also inspected the weld spot mentioned and touched up paint on the base (the tower tubes are galvanized, even after 25 years no rust). The tower is back up as good as new. If anyone has this Wilson tower yet still in service, I do have some notes I can send you on the "tricks" for winch & cable replacement as it's really not that hard and well worth the effort to have a safe system. I hope to get another 20-25 years of service from this tower now.
73s Dave K0VH in SE MN