Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | N4UQ Alpha Amplifier Repair & Upgrade Service Help

Reviews Summary for N4UQ Alpha Amplifier Repair & Upgrade Service
N4UQ Alpha Amplifier Repair & Upgrade Service Reviews: 29 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Varies
Description: Excellent repair and upgrade service for the Alpha 76, 77, 78 & 374 amplfier line.
More info: http://www.n4uq.com/index.htm

You can write your own review of the N4UQ Alpha Amplifier Repair & Upgrade Service.

KR4JA Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2010 07:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought an Alpha 76PA which had been fully upgraded by Dick, including the addition of a pair of 3CPX800A7 tubes. He did an amazing job on updating the amp, it's like new! I can't believe how quiet the blower is. After several years of Ameritron amps, I once again have a quiet shack, even when running full power (60W/1500W). The meter lights changing from red to green (whether warming up-transmitting vs not transmitting) was a nice touch.

Dick does excellent work, couldn't be happier.

W2FBS Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2010 07:49 Send this review to a friend
My Alpha 78 is like new!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent Dick my 78 to be checked over and have the WARC bands added. He did it while I was on vacation so I was only without for a few days. He did a very impressive job. He added the new bands, re-lettered the front panel with the new bandswitch location, added step-start and did a general go-over.
Well, it works better than ever before. Loads easier with less drive and less grid current.
If you have an Alpha that needs help, send it to Dick. You will not be sorry

N7WX Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2010 16:28 Send this review to a friend
Dick did it again  Time owned: more than 12 months
Boy was having problems with my Alpha 77SX two holer..Called Dick and he pointed us in the right direction..Had to pull the transformer and change the step start slow blow fuse, that did it..Thanks again Dick, he knows Alpha's..

W4PIG Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2010 12:09 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST  Time owned: more than 12 months
what more can be said "the best" rather use his services than alpha repair.

K3FGO Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2009 20:54 Send this review to a friend
exceeded expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Alpha 76PA had been unused for 20 years when I put it back in service this year. Problems from aging and sitting idle began to appear until it finally blew high voltage capacitors and needed major overhauling.

Dick diagnosed several problems over the phone and I shipped it to him for further evaluation and recommendations. He quickly replaced the faulty capacitors, a bad 3CX400A7 (which he helped me find inexpensively), made the WARC mod, replaced broken control buttons, made the low drive mod (fully loads now) and meter doubling mod.

There were a few other mods that I thought I might want, but Dick honestly explained how they were not advantageous and that I should save my money on them.

Amp came back quickly and looks like new inside and out. Functionally it is absolutely running like new.

If you need any work done on your Alpha- talk to Dick Bryd first!

VA3DX Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2009 15:59 Send this review to a friend
old Alpha76A is new again  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was hesitant about shipping my Alpha 76A across the border. I should not have been concerned , all went well with UPS.

Dick performed a major cleaning, upgrading, and an addition of a pair of 3CPX800A7's.

I basically have a NEW amplifier now, that performs 10 times better than I could have dreamed of. He kept me aware of any needs he felt should / or could be done by e-mail.

His workmanship is top job.... I will recomend his work to anyone consider it.
The work was a 15 out of 10..outstanding !

His knowledge of the Alphas is immense...

W6ONV Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2009 05:56 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While talking to my father in February, 2009 he had not given away all his ham equipment and still had his Alpha 76PA in storage. Right away I got excited and asked if I could use it. Thankfully when my parents visited he brought the Alpha with him. It took a week or so, but I got the Alpha connected up, unfortunately it did not last long and something blew.

After some searching on the Internet and talking to a few other hams I was turned on to N4UQ and the services he offered. I e-mail him and explained the situation and he offered his expert opinion on my Alpha. I immediately took the Alpha to a local UPS Store and had them package and ship it 3-day service.

Once Dick got it on the bench he detailed what he saw and what would need to be accomplished after being stored for such a time. He explained what modifications should be done and I gave him the go ahead to complete all the work he suggested. It did not take long to receive another e-mail telling me the Alpha was done and running great!

He shipped it back to me and I received the invoice of the work completed. All in all it took less than 2 weeks door to door for the work to be accomplished, including shipping. The price was well worth it, considering it is an Alpha. I quickly mailed a check off to Dick and have been very happy with the performance of the unit.

I highly recommend his services! He was great in every step of the process from explaining the services on his web site and via e-mail prior to receiving the unit. Once he got it on the bench and opened it up he was thorough and explained what he was going to do. I even got all the replaced parts back, bubble wrapped. He is the ONLY was to go when it comes to work on the Alpha. God forbid I have to call on his services again, but if I do I won't think twice about using him. Great work Dick. Thanks!

K4ZRJ Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2009 18:24 Send this review to a friend
This is as good as it gets!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Dick took my Alpha 78, converted it to a pair of new 3CPX800A7s which he supplied at a very reasonable cost, added the WARC band mod which included new front panel lettering for the new band switch positions, replaced two burned loading capacitors, updated the power supply with several mods that he developed, and changed the RF-in connector to an SO-239 - all in just a few days. He is a true professional in all respects and a real gentleman. If you have an Alpha amp that needs any type of work, Dick is the man to go to. I cannot recommend him highly enough!

KK5CQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2009 15:24 Send this review to a friend
KK5CQ  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hey guys,if you own one of the Alpha 76 series amps and the tubes are getting soft,for the money that you will pay for a used set of 8874 tubes that are in the neighborhood 0f 25 to 30 years old,you can send the amp to the Alpha doctor Mr. Dick Byrd and have it converted to 3cpx800 tubes and it will coast at legal limit all day long with tons of head room,this guy knows his business when it comes to Alpha amps,Dick even replaced a screw that wasn't the right one in my 76 amp,the amp has never been as smooth operating as it is now,Dick will keep you informed all the way through the procedure and his turn around time is super fast and of couse the workmanship is FLAWLESS.Dick is the only guy that I would trust with my amp,give him a call and you will be plesantly surprised at his prices and his accommodating attitude.Thanks again Dick for making my old 76A NEW again...

K9BUB Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2009 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Unsurpassed Customer Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found an Alpha 78 amp on qth for trade. I traded my mint FL-7000 and some money for the Alpha 78. From the outside the Alpha looked mint. So I took it home. I sent Dick a couple of email asking questions about the amp since I knew absolutely nothing about it and did not have the manual. So in the second email Dick sent me his phone number and so I call him to ask some questions before powering up the amp to make sure I would not make any mistakes. So I called Dick and he walked through powering up the amp to testing every feature and function! Now remember I have not paid him anything and he helped me with everything! We spent several hours on the phone!!! As we went through completely testing the amp we found that one tube was not working and the amp this guy sold me had a few others things wrong also. So Dick told me to send him the amp. I took out the transformer and packed the amp well and shipped it to Dick. He kept in constant touch via email until the amp was completely repaired!! He even fixed the tube that was not working! He had the amp for only 2 days and he fixed it and shipped it back!! It was so fast I did not even notice that the amp was gone! And the price was very reasonable!!! The amp works perfect and no problems noe!!! So if my tubes die I will be sending my amp to Dick for his cx800 upgrade! So if you have an Alpha dont hesitate to send it to Dick!!! 73 Bill