Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | N4UQ Alpha Amplifier Repair & Upgrade Service Help

Reviews Summary for N4UQ Alpha Amplifier Repair & Upgrade Service
N4UQ Alpha Amplifier Repair & Upgrade Service Reviews: 34 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Varies
Description: Excellent repair and upgrade service for the Alpha 76, 77, 78 & 374 amplfier line.
More info: http://www.n4uq.com/index.htm

You can write your own review of the N4UQ Alpha Amplifier Repair & Upgrade Service.

K7ZZX Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2012 21:21 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: more than 12 months
Dick Byrd N4UQ = GREAT SERVICE !! TNX, K7ZZX

WX4US Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2012 15:46 Send this review to a friend
76a two holer conversion to 3cx800's  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Alpha 76a w/2 8874s off of Craig's list for a bargain price. The seller ran it thru the bands and all bands had output of 800 watts. I contacted Dick, N4UQ, in Dec of 2010, and he performed the upgrade to 2 3cx800a7 tubes, installed a grid protection circuit, low drive mod., installed the WARC band upgrade, checked to make sure all factory updates were installed (free), and did a general check which included everything from the meter lamps and aluminum centers of the knobs to the transformer and its production. The Alpha looks and performs new. His test sheet shows every band, including the WARC bands, to have an output to legal limit plus. Using an Alpha 4520 watt meter and a Palstar 5k dummy load this amp can easily top 2k with room to spare. I use it on a Yaesu FT-1000MP MkV in the Class A mode and only 40 watts drive.

Never a problem. Always reliable. Runs cool at legal limit. Outstanding reports and rare DX contacts are not so rare anymore. Just an outstanding job.

Now if I can find an affordable 77SX...

Thanks Dick

K7ABV Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2012 09:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 25 years my 76CA 3 Tube needed a little care...turn around time was less than 3 weeks, which included 2 plus weeks of UPS shipping...The amp. now puts out a KW easily with 30-40 watts of input..sounds better, and Dick made several major improvements for me...it goes without saying I would use his service again...don't worry, your amp. will come back like a new piece of gear..thanks Dick for one heck of a job...

W4PIG Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2011 18:23 Send this review to a friend
ONE WORD!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!! BETTER THAN ALPHA!!!!

AA5WM Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2011 04:44 Send this review to a friend
Fast, professional, competent, reasonable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My amp needed a replacement pi-net coil and I wanted Dick's Grid current protection mod. The amp was shipped w/o the transformer. Three days after shipping I was informed of the situation and subsequent progress over a few days. The work was high quality and very reasonably priced. This fellow knows what he is doing.

K7JI Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2011 13:49 Send this review to a friend
GREAT WORK - HERE IS VIDEO!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Many years ago I started looking for a two-tube Alpha 77SX that I could purchase without breaking the bank. Finally two months ago I found a one-tube 77DX for sale from a reputable seller near Atlanta. The owner knew Dick Byrd, and was happy for a local delivery back to Dick at my request so the amp could be converted to a two-tube 77SX before being shipped across the county to me.

With the additional conversion parts collected and a new set of replacement panels from Alpha, Dick went to work and assembled my dream amplifier. I now own a beautiful Alpha 77SX in virtually new condition.

How in the world do you ship a 100+ pound piece of vintage radio equipment 3,000 miles and have it look like new when it arrives? You have Dick Byrd send it to you, or at a minimum you send it exactly the way both Alpha and Dick recommend.

Here is a link to a YouTube video I made documenting the great work Dick did on this amp. The video covers shipping, packing, cosmetic and electronic work and of course operation. Thanks Dick for the fantastic work!  Here is the video link:

(If you have any problem with this link simply search YouTube for "Alpha 77SX" and it will come right up)

N5WJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2010 21:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Tech, Super Nice Guy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have sent my Alpha 78 to Dick on 2 separate occasions and got excellent service and got the Amp repaired in super fast time.. He is very good at what he does and very easy to deal with.. He will keep you in the loop the whole time he is working on equipment either via email or by phone.. His prices have always been fair and by far much cheaper than Alpha.. Will never send my Alpha Amp to anyone but N4UG.. Great Tech and a super nice guy...

Frank... N5WJ

KR4JA Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2010 07:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought an Alpha 76PA which had been fully upgraded by Dick, including the addition of a pair of 3CPX800A7 tubes. He did an amazing job on updating the amp, it's like new! I can't believe how quiet the blower is. After several years of Ameritron amps, I once again have a quiet shack, even when running full power (60W/1500W). The meter lights changing from red to green (whether warming up-transmitting vs not transmitting) was a nice touch.

Dick does excellent work, couldn't be happier.

W2FBS Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2010 07:49 Send this review to a friend
My Alpha 78 is like new!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent Dick my 78 to be checked over and have the WARC bands added. He did it while I was on vacation so I was only without for a few days. He did a very impressive job. He added the new bands, re-lettered the front panel with the new bandswitch location, added step-start and did a general go-over.
Well, it works better than ever before. Loads easier with less drive and less grid current.
If you have an Alpha that needs help, send it to Dick. You will not be sorry

N7WX Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2010 16:28 Send this review to a friend
Dick did it again  Time owned: more than 12 months
Boy was having problems with my Alpha 77SX two holer..Called Dick and he pointed us in the right direction..Had to pull the transformer and change the step start slow blow fuse, that did it..Thanks again Dick, he knows Alpha's..