Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | N4UQ Alpha Amplifier Repair & Upgrade Service Help

Reviews Summary for N4UQ Alpha Amplifier Repair & Upgrade Service
N4UQ Alpha Amplifier Repair & Upgrade Service Reviews: 39 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Varies
Description: Excellent repair and upgrade service for the Alpha 76, 77, 78 & 374 amplfier line.
More info: http://www.n4uq.com/index.htm

You can write your own review of the N4UQ Alpha Amplifier Repair & Upgrade Service.

K1VC Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2015 07:08 Send this review to a friend
Alpha 78  Time owned: more than 12 months
In one word...AMAZING. I contacted Mr. Byrd in early February. After a few emails I shipped my amplifier. Mr. Byrd received the amplifier on a Thursday and it was shipped back the following Monday. In all, less than 2 week turn around. I sent my amplifier to have the WARC band fix and he changed out my RF input from an RCA plug to an SO-239. The new band label is fantastic. I'm very happy how everything turned out. Mr. Byrd kept in constant contact with status updates and provided tracking numbers. I plan on sending my amplifier back for the tube upgrade at some point.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!

WD2B Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2014 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Over the phone repair advice  Time owned: more than 12 months
My old faithful 1978 Alpha 76P had excessive grid current with little drive. After reading all the reviews of his work here, I called him up, described the symptoms over the phone,and Dick (Byrd Enterprises) correctly diagnosed the problem and told me exactly how to find the bad part and fix it; an open 10 ohm 1/4 watt resistor, part #R28. He could have just said: "Pull the transformer out and send the deck in." He is a rare example of a totally polite,generous and honest radio repair man. Needless to say when any future problems arise I won't hesitate to send my Alpha to him for repair if we can't determine the problem on the phone. All the review of his work are right on.

WK1W Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2014 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Job.N4UQ.Thanks, Dick. 77SX Like New  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was fortunate to find a 2-tube 77SX. It had not been upgraded, I was also extremely fortunate to get DICK BYRD N4UQ to do the upgrade. He did the following for me:

Removed blower impellor, cleaned blower housing.
Cleaned amplifier interior.
Replaced HV capacitor, HV rectifiers and HV jumper wires.
Cleaned HV PC board. Replaced transformer.
Replaced the four filament connectors and soldered them.
Replaced HV blocking capacitors with higher voltage units.
Fixed exhaust plenum ring with epoxy.
Replaced step-start relays with improved type.
Replaced bleeder resistors with higher value.
Replaced fuse holders with 600 volt type HPG units.
Replaced lamps and installed black screws on the crank assembly.
Checked overload circuit on the front panel.
CB-2 board: Replaced both LV filter caps, timer cap, Q-201, Q-204.
Installed missing 1k resistor at Q-201. Fixed messy previous solder repairs
and thoroughly cleaned the PC board.
Checked all components on CB-3 (small PC board).
Verified proper bias levels.
Replaced R-1 inside RF deck. 12k unit had changed value to 18k.

The amp is like mew and runs cool. It is a pleasure to use and so easy.
I have the highest recommendation for Dick Byrd.
Thanks, Dick.

Ivan Shapiro WK1W

WU2M Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2013 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Service!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Alpha 89 from RF concepts as a used amp. I had problems with it and after a trip back to RF Concepts, the amp was still not working properly. I sent it to Dick and he got everything working as it should. He took the time to tell me about the amp and the repairs that were needed. If you want to have your Alpha worked on by the best, Dick is the one to send it to!

AD9DX Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2013 16:50 Send this review to a friend
Alpha 76A Conversion  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had purchased an Alpha 76A at Dayton this past summer. I was assured that the amp was in working order. Long story short, one of the 8874 tubes was fried and the amp was a mess inside. I was annoyed but figured I would buy another set of tubes and life would be good. Boy was I wrong. The 8874 isn't exactly an easy tube to locate. So I started doing research and happened to Dick's humble website.

After exchanging a few emails with Dick, I purchased a set of used 3cpx800a7 tubes and sent them and the Alpha to get converted. The work I had completed was the tube conversion, a QSK relay installed and he replaced the RCA connector with a SO239 connector.

The amp came back in amazing condition. Dick emailed me every step of the way to let me know what progress was being made. Any time I had a question, he responded in less than 24 hours (mind you he also has a full time job). The amp works perfectly and will most likely be the last one I will ever have to buy, unless I hit the lottery.

K7ZZX Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2012 21:21 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: more than 12 months
Dick Byrd N4UQ = GREAT SERVICE !! TNX, K7ZZX

WX4US Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2012 15:46 Send this review to a friend
76a two holer conversion to 3cx800's  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Alpha 76a w/2 8874s off of Craig's list for a bargain price. The seller ran it thru the bands and all bands had output of 800 watts. I contacted Dick, N4UQ, in Dec of 2010, and he performed the upgrade to 2 3cx800a7 tubes, installed a grid protection circuit, low drive mod., installed the WARC band upgrade, checked to make sure all factory updates were installed (free), and did a general check which included everything from the meter lamps and aluminum centers of the knobs to the transformer and its production. The Alpha looks and performs new. His test sheet shows every band, including the WARC bands, to have an output to legal limit plus. Using an Alpha 4520 watt meter and a Palstar 5k dummy load this amp can easily top 2k with room to spare. I use it on a Yaesu FT-1000MP MkV in the Class A mode and only 40 watts drive.

Never a problem. Always reliable. Runs cool at legal limit. Outstanding reports and rare DX contacts are not so rare anymore. Just an outstanding job.

Now if I can find an affordable 77SX...

Thanks Dick

K7ABV Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2012 09:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 25 years my 76CA 3 Tube needed a little care...turn around time was less than 3 weeks, which included 2 plus weeks of UPS shipping...The amp. now puts out a KW easily with 30-40 watts of input..sounds better, and Dick made several major improvements for me...it goes without saying I would use his service again...don't worry, your amp. will come back like a new piece of gear..thanks Dick for one heck of a job...

W4PIG Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2011 18:23 Send this review to a friend
ONE WORD!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!! BETTER THAN ALPHA!!!!

AA5WM Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2011 04:44 Send this review to a friend
Fast, professional, competent, reasonable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My amp needed a replacement pi-net coil and I wanted Dick's Grid current protection mod. The amp was shipped w/o the transformer. Three days after shipping I was informed of the situation and subsequent progress over a few days. The work was high quality and very reasonably priced. This fellow knows what he is doing.