Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | N4UQ Alpha Amplifier Repair & Upgrade Service Help

Reviews Summary for N4UQ Alpha Amplifier Repair & Upgrade Service
N4UQ Alpha Amplifier Repair & Upgrade Service Reviews: 31 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Varies
Description: Excellent repair and upgrade service for the Alpha 76, 77, 78 & 374 amplfier line.
More info: http://www.n4uq.com/index.htm

You can write your own review of the N4UQ Alpha Amplifier Repair & Upgrade Service.

K7JI Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2011 13:49 Send this review to a friend
GREAT WORK - HERE IS VIDEO!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Many years ago I started looking for a two-tube Alpha 77SX that I could purchase without breaking the bank. Finally two months ago I found a one-tube 77DX for sale from a reputable seller near Atlanta. The owner knew Dick Byrd, and was happy for a local delivery back to Dick at my request so the amp could be converted to a two-tube 77SX before being shipped across the county to me.

With the additional conversion parts collected and a new set of replacement panels from Alpha, Dick went to work and assembled my dream amplifier. I now own a beautiful Alpha 77SX in virtually new condition.

How in the world do you ship a 100+ pound piece of vintage radio equipment 3,000 miles and have it look like new when it arrives? You have Dick Byrd send it to you, or at a minimum you send it exactly the way both Alpha and Dick recommend.

Here is a link to a YouTube video I made documenting the great work Dick did on this amp. The video covers shipping, packing, cosmetic and electronic work and of course operation. Thanks Dick for the fantastic work!  Here is the video link:

(If you have any problem with this link simply search YouTube for "Alpha 77SX" and it will come right up)

N5WJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2010 21:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Tech, Super Nice Guy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have sent my Alpha 78 to Dick on 2 separate occasions and got excellent service and got the Amp repaired in super fast time.. He is very good at what he does and very easy to deal with.. He will keep you in the loop the whole time he is working on equipment either via email or by phone.. His prices have always been fair and by far much cheaper than Alpha.. Will never send my Alpha Amp to anyone but N4UG.. Great Tech and a super nice guy...

Frank... N5WJ

KR4JA Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2010 07:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought an Alpha 76PA which had been fully upgraded by Dick, including the addition of a pair of 3CPX800A7 tubes. He did an amazing job on updating the amp, it's like new! I can't believe how quiet the blower is. After several years of Ameritron amps, I once again have a quiet shack, even when running full power (60W/1500W). The meter lights changing from red to green (whether warming up-transmitting vs not transmitting) was a nice touch.

Dick does excellent work, couldn't be happier.

W2FBS Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2010 07:49 Send this review to a friend
My Alpha 78 is like new!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent Dick my 78 to be checked over and have the WARC bands added. He did it while I was on vacation so I was only without for a few days. He did a very impressive job. He added the new bands, re-lettered the front panel with the new bandswitch location, added step-start and did a general go-over.
Well, it works better than ever before. Loads easier with less drive and less grid current.
If you have an Alpha that needs help, send it to Dick. You will not be sorry

N7WX Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2010 16:28 Send this review to a friend
Dick did it again  Time owned: more than 12 months
Boy was having problems with my Alpha 77SX two holer..Called Dick and he pointed us in the right direction..Had to pull the transformer and change the step start slow blow fuse, that did it..Thanks again Dick, he knows Alpha's..

W4PIG Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2010 12:09 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST  Time owned: more than 12 months
what more can be said "the best" rather use his services than alpha repair.

K3FGO Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2009 20:54 Send this review to a friend
exceeded expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Alpha 76PA had been unused for 20 years when I put it back in service this year. Problems from aging and sitting idle began to appear until it finally blew high voltage capacitors and needed major overhauling.

Dick diagnosed several problems over the phone and I shipped it to him for further evaluation and recommendations. He quickly replaced the faulty capacitors, a bad 3CX400A7 (which he helped me find inexpensively), made the WARC mod, replaced broken control buttons, made the low drive mod (fully loads now) and meter doubling mod.

There were a few other mods that I thought I might want, but Dick honestly explained how they were not advantageous and that I should save my money on them.

Amp came back quickly and looks like new inside and out. Functionally it is absolutely running like new.

If you need any work done on your Alpha- talk to Dick Bryd first!

VA3DX Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2009 15:59 Send this review to a friend
old Alpha76A is new again  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was hesitant about shipping my Alpha 76A across the border. I should not have been concerned , all went well with UPS.

Dick performed a major cleaning, upgrading, and an addition of a pair of 3CPX800A7's.

I basically have a NEW amplifier now, that performs 10 times better than I could have dreamed of. He kept me aware of any needs he felt should / or could be done by e-mail.

His workmanship is top job.... I will recomend his work to anyone consider it.
The work was a 15 out of 10..outstanding !

His knowledge of the Alphas is immense...

W6ONV Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2009 05:56 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While talking to my father in February, 2009 he had not given away all his ham equipment and still had his Alpha 76PA in storage. Right away I got excited and asked if I could use it. Thankfully when my parents visited he brought the Alpha with him. It took a week or so, but I got the Alpha connected up, unfortunately it did not last long and something blew.

After some searching on the Internet and talking to a few other hams I was turned on to N4UQ and the services he offered. I e-mail him and explained the situation and he offered his expert opinion on my Alpha. I immediately took the Alpha to a local UPS Store and had them package and ship it 3-day service.

Once Dick got it on the bench he detailed what he saw and what would need to be accomplished after being stored for such a time. He explained what modifications should be done and I gave him the go ahead to complete all the work he suggested. It did not take long to receive another e-mail telling me the Alpha was done and running great!

He shipped it back to me and I received the invoice of the work completed. All in all it took less than 2 weeks door to door for the work to be accomplished, including shipping. The price was well worth it, considering it is an Alpha. I quickly mailed a check off to Dick and have been very happy with the performance of the unit.

I highly recommend his services! He was great in every step of the process from explaining the services on his web site and via e-mail prior to receiving the unit. Once he got it on the bench and opened it up he was thorough and explained what he was going to do. I even got all the replaced parts back, bubble wrapped. He is the ONLY was to go when it comes to work on the Alpha. God forbid I have to call on his services again, but if I do I won't think twice about using him. Great work Dick. Thanks!

K4ZRJ Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2009 18:24 Send this review to a friend
This is as good as it gets!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Dick took my Alpha 78, converted it to a pair of new 3CPX800A7s which he supplied at a very reasonable cost, added the WARC band mod which included new front panel lettering for the new band switch positions, replaced two burned loading capacitors, updated the power supply with several mods that he developed, and changed the RF-in connector to an SO-239 - all in just a few days. He is a true professional in all respects and a real gentleman. If you have an Alpha amp that needs any type of work, Dick is the man to go to. I cannot recommend him highly enough!