Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | Timewave AntennaSmith Help

Reviews Summary for Timewave AntennaSmith
Timewave AntennaSmith Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1400
Description: Self Contained Antenna Analyzer with built in graphics, including Smith Charts. Will also work with a PC.
More info: http://www.timewave.com

You can write your own review of the Timewave AntennaSmith.

KD0CAC Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2014 14:14 Send this review to a friend
Easy and very powerful   Time owned: more than 12 months
Too bad the header has a very old price , depending the average price $800 -1000 .
This unit is one of the best out there , I have had MFJ-259 , B & 269 , MiniVNA Pro and played with some others that friends had .
Especially for multiband antennas , you can look at 1 - 55 MHz in one view with a continual sweep for a quick look at all bands .
Having the Smith Chart [ to me it seems to give more details in a single view of many measurements ] and other charts , polar etc.
So with a 3rd less of price listed here by all retail sellers I have seen , this is one of the best bang for the buck units out there .
Being self contained and able to connect to computer , gives a lot of power .

K2UM Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2008 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned AntennaSmith for four months now and have used it to construct four antennas and to tune two commercially manufactured antennas. The AntennaSmith's utility, ease of use and detailed and accurate information makes it one of the best buys I have made in this hobby. It is commercial grade and is portable. Its size and portability rank high with me over other types of units which require the use of a laptop computer. This unit is highly accurate and can be recalibrated, if necessary, by the owner. I will not restate its abilities and specifications here since that detail can be accessed from TimeWave's web site.

Having owned mulitple MFJ, Autek and Palstar units, the AntennaSmith is worth every penny for the information it produces; its graphing features; accuracy and ease of use. I did direct comparisons of its results to what I obtained from the MFJ, Autek and Palstar units I owned.

A definite 5 out of 5 for the AntennaSmith. This a keeper and if you look at the price of some of the cheaper units I owned and had to eventually replace due to malfunction not worth the repair or inaccuracy or difficulty of use, the total cost was more than the cost of a new AntennaSmith. I wish I had bought one sooner. This is a lesson I have learned over and over.

If you build antennas or do a lot antenna tweaking and maintenance, this device quickly pays for itself given how easy it makes each of these tasks.

NV7E Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2007 11:00 Send this review to a friend
A dream antenna analyzer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the TZ-900 antenna analyzer a few months after it came out at the introductory price. It is a professional grade item which is usable by hams. The current version 2.0 of this model was introduced when they raised the price to $1399. The latest software works with both the earlier and later version. I really don't know what the refinements over the original version are. They are probably imperceptible to the average ham like me. All I can say is that mine does all that it is advertised to do and what I want it to do. It is very easy to use. The LCD display is readable indoors and outdoors with or without the backlight switched on. I haven't had a problem with the rechargeable batteries running out. The SWR readings I get correspond closely with the readings I get with my Palstar AT-AUTO and those displayed by other meters I have such as the Telepost LP-100.

Among hand-held analyzers the TZ-900 is probably the best available regardless of price. For professionals who use such gear every day this is a reasonably priced item, maybe even cheap. Since it costs as much as a new HF transceiver, hams who would use it only once or twice a year will think it is expensive. Beyond the price issue, it is the analyzer I always dreamed of having.

ZS6SIG

K6QE Rating: 2/5 Jun 14, 2006 13:52 Send this review to a friend
Big dissappointment for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am not as enthusiastic about this unit as the others.

I hooked the unit up to a 150 ohm resistor and measure a 3:1 SWR, Good!. I, then put a 220 pF capacitor in series with the resistor and the resistance value jumped up to 450 ohms. The reactance measured was incorrect by a large margin, also.

I called Timewave and they said the unit only works on antennas not lumped values? I didn't understand the words of the tech rep. It sounded like gibberish. My Palstar unit measure them both correctly at all frquencies.

I then hooked the unit up to one of my antennas and measured the SWR and compared those reading to that of my SWR meter in my 7800. In three different antennas, the Timewave unit always measured considerably highter.

I don't know what to say about the accuracy of the Timewave except I can't get it to correspond to my 7800 SWR meter and my Palstar unit. Both of them agree.

The unit has wonderful features but I have real doubts about its accuracy. I hate to rate it down, but that is the way I see it.

Jim, K6QE

VK2NW Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2006 22:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna Instrument  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've gone from Autek to VIA Bravo to this little beauty. The other two have their strong points, but this review is about the AntennaSmith.
It's a fantastic little instrument. For a start, use is very straightforward - in fact when you first turn it on, it's pretty well set up for 99% of users. A sweep from 1 to 30MHz. I connected mine to an OCF dipole and immediately the resonant bands were highlighted in green (SWR<2:1). Good!!
A more thorough perusal (and yes, I did read the manual), revealed a very easy to use interface via four buttons and an optical encoder on the side of the unit. There are easy ways of setting the sweep range to your band of interest and for storing results and recalling them. The user interface almost reads your mind - anticipating what most of us do - store a result, then compare it to another antenna.
It came with charged batteries so worked right out of the box. With an external charger, no need to lug an external power supply around. And seemingly the battery life is 4-6 hours.
The included PC interface software works fine and has excellent export utilities so you can save WMF files (say you want to save your results in Word or similar) and XLS (for Excel).
Overall it is an extremely well thought out instrument.
So, I rate it a 5 as follows:
1. Extremely easy to use
2. Color display clearly displays a host of info
3. Large variety of plots including SWR and Smith Chart
4. Self contained long life power source
5. DDS based RF generator for signal gen. use
6. Comes with a natty camera-like wrist strap (OK this isn't really why I bought it... but it shows they are thinking.)
5. Excellent PC interface with good export capabilities

KB9GPN Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2006 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent tool  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked one up after watching a demonstration of the AntennaSmith by Timewave's President Randy Gawtry at a show.

Unit is exceptionally easy to use, the sweep seems pretty intuative, and the whole package is quality through & through.

Though priced more than a calculator or meter display analyzer, the unit is actually inexpensive when the unit build & features are compared to the more common units.

The unit has a very professional feel to it, while being easier than most amateur gear to use.

Comes with PC software, and the manuals mention upcoming Mac OS-X and Linux software in the works.

Recommended!