Reviews Categories | Microphones | Yaesu mh-36e8j Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu mh-36e8j
Yaesu mh-36e8j Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $55
Description: DTMF microphone

You can write your own review of the Yaesu mh-36e8j.

KA3RCS Rating: 4/5 Jan 3, 2014 00:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent except for RFI susceptibility  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these mics which I got for use with the FT-817. Unlike the stock MH-31A8J with its abysmally muddy dynamic element, this mic has a proper condenser element which generates very good audio.

Unfortunately, this mic (like its remote control brother, the MH-59A8J) has a serious RFI susceptibility problem. It took years until I finally realized that this mic was the reason why I had to add copious ferrite cores to every cable in my FT-817 portable outfit to be able to transmit without horrible noise or even no discernible transmit audio at all. I've tried adding bypass caps and small ferrite cores inside the mic, and have thus far not managed to cure the RFI. I plan to investigate the issue further and see if I can come up with a fix, as I have a significant investment in three similar mics.

One other point is that the cord on my oldest MH-36E8J (about 12 years old) has begun to deteriorate. It has been subjected to no abuse at all, so it must be a matter of the materials used.

In summary, if this mic is used far away from the antenna and with sufficiently low power, it works and sounds great. However, it is a poor choice for FT-817 portable use without additional RFI mitigation. The MH-67A8J (the stock mic for various Vertex commercial radios as well as the original FT-450) offers similarly great condenser element audio with no RFI problems, though it does not offer DTMF capability. There are similar commercial mics which offer 12-key and 16-key DTMF pads which might be a good match for the FT-817; I need to research them.

F4EPP Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2006 02:21 Send this review to a friend
Good but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Actually it's a good microphone but it isn't ok in all the ft-817 can do.
I mean it's excellent in HF ssb mode (important point in qrp isn't it ?) compared to the original mic, radio is much stronger and the impression to speak inside a box (as I call it)disapears.But things are different in VHF.
In the VHF FM I need to decrease the mic gain down to 35 percent because the radio becomes strident. In VHF SSB mode the radio is completly different than in HF and you'll need to settle the mic gain as well to avoid too highpitched voice like in FM.
Uhf is easier to settle and I would say radio is better than VHF modes.
A local station who has the same rig and mic doesn't have this problem at all and he could connect and speak instantly with a clear audio even with more than 50 percent mic gain ! I can't explain it but his rig and mic are older than mine( I bought them in 2005/2006). Versions problem ?...
However one thing is sure, DTMF works very good everytime...
I hope my review will help you if you have the same phenomenon.

F4EPP Sendy