Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | N4ATS Radio & Amplifier Repair Help

Reviews Summary for N4ATS Radio & Amplifier Repair
N4ATS Radio & Amplifier Repair Reviews: 149 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $65.00 per hour/ rated
Description: Radio and amplifier repair. Specializing in Yaesu FL-7000 Amplifier Repair and/or Modifications

You can write your own review of the N4ATS Radio & Amplifier Repair.

KG4GGG Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2015 03:36 Send this review to a friend
Very Professional - Attention to Detail  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would recommend Bill Grassa (N4ATS) to anyone. His attention to detail and little things like sealing the radios in an OEM looking bag shows how much he cares about his work.

I brought in a FT-990 and TS-140s to have checked out and aligned that I bought from a SK estate. Since they had not been turned on in 5 years I wanted to make sure they were in good working order. Bill checked them out, replaced a burn out meter light on the FT-990,aligned them, and gave me a report with the power output for each rig. The TS-140s was also very dirty and both units came back looking brand new. I was so impressed when I picked up the rigs I dropped off mine and my friends IC-706mkiis to be aligned and checked out as well.

It was was the little things that really stuck out that impressed me with Bill. From packing the radios in sealed bags (like one the radio would come in new) to the organization of his shop where he had my radios stored awaiting pickup.

I would highly recommend Bill Grassa to anyone needing their radio repaired. In fact, I did!
KB1DSB Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2015 15:05 Send this review to a friend
Honest and Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had my main VFO go out on my FT1000MP MKV. Maybe not a big problem for some hams, but I preferred to go to a reputable repair tech for help. Bill first gave me a couple of email suggestions to try. But, they did not work. I sent the rig to him and he found the problem, a shorted ribbon cable, replaced it and gave the rig a go over. With a weekend and 4 days total in hands of FedEx, I had my rig back and on the air in a week. I realize it was not a major and costly fix. But, Bill took the time to take care of it and not attempt to fleece me like some other place might. Honest, helpful and patient with my queries on the front end and great work and prompt return at a more than reasonable price.

Thanks Bill.

73 de Karl, KB1DSB
KF7ZVG Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2015 16:43 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I highly recommend Bill Grassa for any of your repair needs… READ ON...!

I bought my amp from a local ham in Phoenix, back in mid July this year and promptly sent the Yaesu FL-7000 to Bill for a full run through, since the seller did not provide a full performance run-down at the time i purchased it. He was in the middle of moving (my first mistake)… So i wasn’t about to power it up without knowing if it was going to cause an issue with my other equipment.

So Bill got the AMP and this was his reply after his initial analysis on the bench:

"Can you get a refund? This amp has at LEAST $725 worth of needed repairs. The Power Supply needs rebuilt ($100) , the PA transistors need replaced ($525) and the Protect Board needs a lot of work ($100)”

Imagine how I felt after spending $950 for the AMP. I spoke to Bill and explained the situation and asked him to do some limited repairs and see if he could bring the cost down some how, since tracking down the seller was now almost impossible..

Bill spent more than 5 hrs of his time rebuilding that power supply which brought a few things back to life. All in all he did:
60 AMP Upgrade - REBUILT / upgraded
Ant Selector - REBUILT
Protector - REBUILT

AND, tested, checked and verified OK or adjusted and modified over 35 other critical items in this amp and did it for $200.

What that says about Bill is that he is a man of integrity, he could have soaked me for the $725 but instead he went out of his way to rebuild and salvage as much as he could without jeopardizing the life or performance of this AMP. I got it up and running to the rated power without a hitch and the signal reports are outstanding....

I’d trust Bill with any of my equipment issues, without question. Bill, you have earned my respect and trust. I hope to do business with you for a very long time.

Rob M.
K9BBT Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2015 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: months
I received Prompt,reasonably priced, friendly service on my FT100D. My questions were also addressed promptly. Thanks Bill.
KA7G Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2015 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Bill Service - Exceptional  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 1998 FL-7000 took another lightning strike. Two weeks after shipping it down to Bill, N4ATS, it is fixed. Bill is one exceptional technician and an honest guy. He is the only one I would trust with my 7000 baby. There is no doubt that the value of my 7000 has increased after going through Bill's repair/alignment/modification shop. And, Bill's email correspondence and service documentation are second to none. Outstanding! Jerry KA7G
K3TLP Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2015 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Thanks, Bill  Time owned: more than 12 months
My FL 7000 made a strange noise and stopped working. I sent an e-mail to N4ATS. He advised to send it to him. He kept me updated on the progress. It was a strange bug he hadn't seen before. The amp was returned and works great. It was packed very well. I asked him what I owed him since he spent so much time trouble-shooting. He said his basic mod and shipping fee was it. Thanks, Bil. There is a reason for so many 5/5 ratings
KE4NL Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2015 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Can't say enough good things about Bill Grassa. My amp was back on my desk after 4 days and wAS MODIFIED AND REPAIRED. Will use his services in the future.
Bill Sargent KE4NL
KD4QFT Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2015 16:43 Send this review to a friend
HONEST HAM  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
KC1DAD Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2015 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought an FL-7000 from the heirs of a SK. The amp was advertised as being in great shape. I knew about Bill's FL-7000 service/updates from earlier research, so I had the amp shipped directly to Bill. He found some serious issues: the pwr amp transistors needed to be replaced, the LPF needed repair work, and the fan control board need repair work. Bill took care of all issues and returned the amp nicely packaged. It works better than new. I notice that he has expanded into rig repair and I would guess that the same level of expertise and professionalism would be brought to anthing sent to Bill for work. Highly, highly recommended.
WA8AGH Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2015 12:54 Send this review to a friend
best service for Yaesu amps  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had owned a Yaesu FL7000 in the past that had not had "N4ATS" upgrades. When I parted with it, I soon realized that I needed an FL7000 with Bill's magic performed to it. I contacted Bill via internet, and told him that I was looking for an FL7000 with his updates. He said that he had at least 1 amp there that he was updating, and he quoted me a very price and included all necessary cabling. I had my "new" FL7000 within about 2 weeks and it does everything Bill said it would.
If you are thinking of purchasing an updated yaesu amp, or need service on the one you can't beat Bill Grassa-N4ATS. He is the best.