Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | N4ATS Radio & Amplifier Repair Help

Reviews Summary for N4ATS Radio & Amplifier Repair
N4ATS Radio & Amplifier Repair Reviews: 147 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $65.00 per hour/ rated
Description: Radio and amplifier repair. Specializing in Yaesu FL-7000 Amplifier Repair and/or Modifications

You can write your own review of the N4ATS Radio & Amplifier Repair.

KF7ZVG Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2015 16:43 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I highly recommend Bill Grassa for any of your repair needs… READ ON...!

I bought my amp from a local ham in Phoenix, back in mid July this year and promptly sent the Yaesu FL-7000 to Bill for a full run through, since the seller did not provide a full performance run-down at the time i purchased it. He was in the middle of moving (my first mistake)… So i wasn’t about to power it up without knowing if it was going to cause an issue with my other equipment.

So Bill got the AMP and this was his reply after his initial analysis on the bench:

"Can you get a refund? This amp has at LEAST $725 worth of needed repairs. The Power Supply needs rebuilt ($100) , the PA transistors need replaced ($525) and the Protect Board needs a lot of work ($100)”

Imagine how I felt after spending $950 for the AMP. I spoke to Bill and explained the situation and asked him to do some limited repairs and see if he could bring the cost down some how, since tracking down the seller was now almost impossible..

Bill spent more than 5 hrs of his time rebuilding that power supply which brought a few things back to life. All in all he did:
60 AMP Upgrade - REBUILT / upgraded
Ant Selector - REBUILT
Protector - REBUILT

AND, tested, checked and verified OK or adjusted and modified over 35 other critical items in this amp and did it for $200.

What that says about Bill is that he is a man of integrity, he could have soaked me for the $725 but instead he went out of his way to rebuild and salvage as much as he could without jeopardizing the life or performance of this AMP. I got it up and running to the rated power without a hitch and the signal reports are outstanding....

I’d trust Bill with any of my equipment issues, without question. Bill, you have earned my respect and trust. I hope to do business with you for a very long time.

Rob M.
K9BBT Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2015 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: months
I received Prompt,reasonably priced, friendly service on my FT100D. My questions were also addressed promptly. Thanks Bill.
KA7G Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2015 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Bill Service - Exceptional  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 1998 FL-7000 took another lightning strike. Two weeks after shipping it down to Bill, N4ATS, it is fixed. Bill is one exceptional technician and an honest guy. He is the only one I would trust with my 7000 baby. There is no doubt that the value of my 7000 has increased after going through Bill's repair/alignment/modification shop. And, Bill's email correspondence and service documentation are second to none. Outstanding! Jerry KA7G
K3TLP Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2015 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Thanks, Bill  Time owned: more than 12 months
My FL 7000 made a strange noise and stopped working. I sent an e-mail to N4ATS. He advised to send it to him. He kept me updated on the progress. It was a strange bug he hadn't seen before. The amp was returned and works great. It was packed very well. I asked him what I owed him since he spent so much time trouble-shooting. He said his basic mod and shipping fee was it. Thanks, Bil. There is a reason for so many 5/5 ratings
KE4NL Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2015 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Can't say enough good things about Bill Grassa. My amp was back on my desk after 4 days and wAS MODIFIED AND REPAIRED. Will use his services in the future.
Bill Sargent KE4NL
KD4QFT Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2015 16:43 Send this review to a friend
HONEST HAM  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
KC1DAD Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2015 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought an FL-7000 from the heirs of a SK. The amp was advertised as being in great shape. I knew about Bill's FL-7000 service/updates from earlier research, so I had the amp shipped directly to Bill. He found some serious issues: the pwr amp transistors needed to be replaced, the LPF needed repair work, and the fan control board need repair work. Bill took care of all issues and returned the amp nicely packaged. It works better than new. I notice that he has expanded into rig repair and I would guess that the same level of expertise and professionalism would be brought to anthing sent to Bill for work. Highly, highly recommended.
WA8AGH Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2015 12:54 Send this review to a friend
best service for Yaesu amps  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had owned a Yaesu FL7000 in the past that had not had "N4ATS" upgrades. When I parted with it, I soon realized that I needed an FL7000 with Bill's magic performed to it. I contacted Bill via internet, and told him that I was looking for an FL7000 with his updates. He said that he had at least 1 amp there that he was updating, and he quoted me a very price and included all necessary cabling. I had my "new" FL7000 within about 2 weeks and it does everything Bill said it would.
If you are thinking of purchasing an updated yaesu amp, or need service on the one you can't beat Bill Grassa-N4ATS. He is the best.
N4ADW Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2015 16:24 Send this review to a friend
Class ACT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Found Bill listed on Contacted him about an old Kenwood boat anchor I was trying to get someone to work on or at least try. Contacted Bill and his comment was "they are old and may not be able to do anything for you, drop it off and I will look at it". I dropped it off at his home and met one of the nicest people you could hope to know. Bill told me he would call me. About a week later I got a call and a email telling me my radio had been "Healed" and I could come pick it up. Went down following week and Bill was gone but Met his Lovely wife and picked up my radio. I might add she is much better looking than Bill !! Paid her for the repair which broke the bank at a whopping $88.00. It does not get any better than this. I would recommend him to anyone. Honesty, and quality workmanship along with good value is indeed hard to find but not with this man.
HEIDID Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2015 06:11 Send this review to a friend
You Can TRUST N4ATS, his word is his bond  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I’m married to a HAM; this makes gift giving rather tenuous for me. My husband has had an FL-7000 on his Christmas list for some time, but those are scarce as hen’s teeth. Of course the amplifier MUST have the N4ATS mods…. whatever that means. I’ve kept my ear to the ground but didn’t find much. My biggest hurdle is that I don’t know what the heck the thing does. Any Huckster could sell me a smoking pile of lightening-struck circuitry and I wouldn’t be the wiser. But then I had an epiphany! Why not go to THE GUY? THE expert, the guy everyone brags about mod-ing their amp, the guy people quote in articles. I threw myself on the mercy of N4ATS and Bill stood tall to the challenge. With kindness and care he reassured me that we’d get an FL-7000 under the Christmas tree. Bill’s the kind of guy who’d give you the shirt off his back. He actually sent me the FL-7000 off his own bench! It’s pristine, like NOS. Has the coveted mods, came with diagnostics, manuals (manufacturers and Bill’s), and the proper cord to plug into the Husband’s FT-1000MP rig! All in time for Christmas! He’s my HERO. You can take this man at his word. They don’t come any finer than N4ATS.