Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Buckmaster 7 Band, 3KW, OCF Dipole Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Buckmaster 7 Band, 3KW, OCF Dipole Antenna
Buckmaster 7 Band, 3KW, OCF Dipole Antenna Reviews: 79 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $ 324.95
Description: No tuner, multi-band, off-center fed(OCF), 135 ft. dipole with 6:1 voltage balun
More info: http://hamcall.net/7bandocf.html

You can write your own review of the Buckmaster 7 Band, 3KW, OCF Dipole Antenna.

KV4TZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2014 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Great multi-band antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wanted an all-band antenna for my ham shack and the Buckmaster delivers. I've had this for over a year and can't complain about the performance. I have the 80-6 meters version and it does very well on 80, 40, 20, 17, 12 and 10 (SWR less than 2:1) and works on 15 and 6 with a tuner. Very well built. Follow the directions and it will work wonders.

W8KMA Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2014 10:58 Send this review to a friend
Super Performer!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this antenna up for 5 years and no problems at all. Just a super nice set up. You probably need a isolator somewhere for RF on ocassion. Plays on a lot without a tuner and all but 15 meters with. I would like to try the 160 meter version someday....I talk to Europe everday with 100 watts!!! You can too!!!

KB1PDG Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2014 09:06 Send this review to a friend
3KW 8 BAND MODEL  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First of all this replaces a Carolina windom 80 that was bare wire. I have taken down and moved the windom a few times so when I started putting up the buckmaster the first very obvious thing was how nice the heavy coated wire was to work with. No kinks here my friends! I do not have this ofc installed exactly as the instructions suggest. The center is about 32' up and the ends are higher than suggested. I would say some where between 140 and 150 degree angle. Rather than the recommended 120. Swr on all bands was as advertised except 80 meters where it was a bit higher but probably due to my installation. Tune it with a tuner on all bands anyway . Performance is very good on 20,40,80 and 160. No good on 15 though. Very usable on the other higher bands also but certainly not a beam. If you have the room and want a cover all antenna (except 15 meters) that is going to last years this is a very well made choice. You get what you pay for here my friends!

KA2UFP Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2014 14:24 Send this review to a friend
...HOLY GRAIL...  Time owned: more than 12 months
...BEST antenna you can buy my friends...NO tuner REQUIRED...built like a TANK...flies like a EAGLE...I own THREE... ^5

KB4VVE Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2013 20:51 Send this review to a friend
Works quite well  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have one up at 60' between two 500' towers at the EOC (W4SLC). Provides very good communications with a Kenwood TS-570D and its tuner.
Remember that the coax will act as a radiator on the OCF - use an 'Un-Un' to stop RFI.
Greg

WA1EMG Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2013 16:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have installed this OCF dipole at 25 feet and havenít had this many contacts on so many bands in my 50 years of hamming !
Worked my first Japan on 17 the other morning with a 5/9 report.

I am very satisfied with the productís quality and performance. I would highly recommend this product and do give attribution to it when stations tell me how good the signal is. Now if I could only rotate it somehowÖ..!

Thanks again for a great product an 73.

N8TNJ Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2013 11:38 Send this review to a friend
good while it lasted  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had the 7 band up for about 26mos. Could just about talk to anybody you head on the band! With a 100 watts. Picture perfect swr with the chart on the web site. One day checked in on 14.300 found swr was sky high, scanned the antenna. What a difference nothing was picture perfect anymore. Resonance was somewhere in the twilight zone, changed out the coax, checked the antenna. No problem nothing broken. Sent an email to Buckmaster, they said it must have gotten hit by lighting. Your on your own! Oh well at least I have some nice wire to MAKE my own antenna.

N6DC Rating: 4/5 Aug 17, 2013 23:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent OCF Dipole  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the 3 kW version of this Buckmaster 8-band (160, 80/75, 40, 20,17,12,10, 6m) OCF (off-center feed) dipole with the purpose in mind of having a single antenna to cover the lower HF bands (160/80/75/40m). I installed it on my tower in the recommended inverted-vee configuration with the apex (feedpoint) 64' up.

The unit appears to be well-designed and is well-constructed. Assuming that the balun transformer module is well-sealed, it should provide many years of trouble-free service.

Although I rate this antenna well, I do so with the caveat that it is a compromise antenna and that the prospective user must recognize the associated trade-offs and take them into account. Although it provides very wide frequency coverage without the need for an antenna tuner, it is most capable in the lower HF bands (160/80/75/40m). Although the unit maintains a reasonable VSWR on its higher bands (20/17/12/10/6m), gain pattern multi-lobing occurs which results in diminished performance in certain directions.

My rating is also based on the assumption that losses in the 6:1 feedpoint impedance matching transformer are low. The manufacturer does not publish a loss curve for this transformer and I did not attempt to measure it.

For my primary bands of interest (160/80/75m), this antenna performs well and Iím happy with it. On 40 meters, it is noticeably less sensitive than my Cushcraft D40 40m dipole (mounted atop the same tower at 80'). Of course, the D40's additional height gives it an advantage, but I suspect that the Buckmaster multi-lobing and other possible gain pattern issues may also be a factor. Although it is functional on 20/17/12/10/6m, I would use it only as a backup antenna on these bands due to these gain pattern issues. For these higher bands, I believe that a single-band or trap dipole at the same height would yield better performance.

Another issue I noticed was that despite the fact that my IC-9100 transceiver has an excellent receiver front-end with wide dynamic range, reception was degraded by a 13 kW 1550 kHz local AM broadcast station located three miles away. Without a doubt, this is caused by the fact that a full-size antenna for 160m is efficient throughout much of the AM broadcast band (as compared to an 80m or 40m dipole that would be far less sensitive to AM broadcast band signals). I was able to fix this by building an in-line highpass/notch filter to attenuate the offending AM station.

I believe that OCF dipoles work best on their fundamental and 2nd harmonic bands (i.e., 160 & 80/75 m for my unit). For the higher-order even harmonic bands, however, I believe a standard center-fed dipole would be a better choice. Even so, having the ability to operate on eight bands with a single dipole without an antenna tuner is an impressive capability.

For userís considering this antenna, I recommend the model that covers no lower than the lowest band of interest. If 160m coverage is not necessary, it is best to obtain the 7-band version (covering 80/75, 40, 20, 17, 12, 10, and 6m). Similarly, if coverage is necessary down to only 40m, it is best to obtain the 4-band version (covering 40/20/10, and 6m). This approach minimizes the afore-mentioned multi-lobing and gain pattern distortion issues. As a case in point, I would expect noticeably better performance on 40 and 20m with the 4-band version as compared to the 8-band version. <>

N0AZZ Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2013 05:16 Send this review to a friend
One of the Best OCFD Antennas Made   Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first one in 2006 a 135' 300w one, had it hung poorly @26' as a flattop and 15' from the metal guttering around my house....But in 6 months I did work DXCC with it at 128 countries confirmed.

Since that time I have owned everyone of the antennas they make. I have sold all but 2 now that I now have and the ones I did sell I sold for not a lot less than I paid for them.

The 2 I still have are one a lightweight QRP model that I use among many others for portable use and the one I keep in the air all the time mostly for 160m and some 80m the 270' 3 kw 6-160m one mounted in an Inverted V @ 55' with the ends @ 25'. Both work very well for what they do.

WB2JSY Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2013 20:45 Send this review to a friend
INCREDIBLE!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
WOW!!
After being out of the hobby for 30 years, this is my first "TRY' of the4 hobby with a FT 950 100 watt Transceiver.

First Cq got me into Romania and subsequent CQ's all over Europe and The US.
The antenna is incredible, however, I am NOT!!
Lots of TVI thru my Directv TV and computer and neighbors!
I need help!
The antenna is great but I need assistance with the TVI.
Where do I start?
Incredible antenna... nothing better... at 40 feet and about a 120 degree angle, luckily as mandated, but my wife is getting used to it.

How do I get rid of the TVI with Directv TV and issues with my computer.
The antenna is incredible; I am not!